TotW 02/26/2024 - 03/03/2024: GENESIS - Lilywhite Lilith

• I'm never one for deeply analysing song lyrics, and haven't ever joined in on the picking-over of the Lamb story and what it all means etc. But... as we're on this one I'm curious about whether anyone's got any thoughts on the significance of the "two golden globes". I wondered if they're linked to the testicular stuff a few songs later as they're essentially a pair of balls. He and John have to get 'docked' to help get them out of their situation so maybe it's a call-forward to pairs of balls causing trouble of some kind. Otherwise their sole purpose is to float in and blow up, leaving him amid rubble assuming he's dying. Could they symbolise explosive bollocks?

EDIT - oh no hang on, it's their cocks that get lopped off isn't it - "dock the dick". But it's all in the same region.

Abandon all reason

• I'm never one for deeply analysing song lyrics, and haven't ever joined in on the picking-over of the Lamb story and what it all means etc.

Well, I'm with you on that as far as the LAMB story goes. I do have interpretations of my own regarding some parts of the story, usually along the lines of "this could represent such-and-such an event in the character's past." I wouldn't expect anyone to share them and I'm sure they're mostly very far removed from what Peter actually had in mind. For the most part, though, my position on the LAMB story -- to modify and re-purpose a description that's been used for something totally unrelated -- is that it "neither invites nor rewards close examination." *

Now that I think about it, I do have my own interpretation of the "two golden globes," but it has to do with Rael's reaction to them rather than their form or number.

(* That's stolen from what one writer said about The Beatles' "Revolution 9": "it's a track that neither invites nor rewards close attention." BTW, I disagree with that particular position.)

Little known fact: Before the crowbar was invented...

...crows simply drank at home.

• my position on the LAMB story -- to modify and re-purpose a description that's been used for something totally unrelated -- is that it "neither invites nor rewards close examination."

I think I'm with you on that. It's my favourite Genesis album and in my all-time top 10, but I love it as a whole without bothering myself with the ins and outs of the actual story. Some board members have said they find it impossible to separate the story from the album as a complete work, and therefore because they have issues with the story they consequently have a problem with the album. I'm just glad I can divorce the brilliant songs from the story structure and still enjoy it.

That's stolen from what one writer said about The Beatles' "Revolution 9": "it's a track that neither invites nor rewards close attention." BTW, I disagree with that particular position.)

To be picked up if necessary in the Beatles thread, but I'll just say here that I agree.

EDIT ...with you, I mean!

Abandon all reason