'It's Yourself' and 'Los Endos'

• Anyone heard the pieces of Los Endos in the b-side track "It's Yourself"? I kept thinking it would be cool to splice these together and sure enough someone already did...

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Maybe this is the way the track originally was structured. Genesis is well known for their "bits". And thankfully, no "bits" goes wasted.

• Los Endos is a track that sounds like it came out of jamming on the themes from several different songs. The first part is based on It's Yourself. There's a snippet of Dance on a Volcano in the middle. And then end section is basically Squonk. So I'm not sure It's Yourself was supposed to be joined to Los Endos any more than the other two songs were. But perhaps someone else with more knowledge of the origins of these tracks can correct me on this.

• The common folklore says It's Yourself was supposed to be inserted in between Squonk and Mad Man Moon (which is remarkable, most non-album tracks seemed to be sorted out before they had a fixed place on their album), it makes sense Los Endos would be kind of a reprise of several songs; the intro was clearly copied and pasted from It's Yourself after It's Yourself was cut out. In its original form this part ends on the same 5 notes that begin Mad Man Moon so it makes an obvious link.

• The common folklore says It's Yourself was supposed to be inserted in between Squonk and Mad Man Moon (which is remarkable, most non-album tracks seemed to be sorted out before they had a fixed place on their album), it makes sense Los Endos would be kind of a reprise of several songs; the intro was clearly copied and pasted from It's Yourself after It's Yourself was cut out. In its original form this part ends on the same 5 notes that begin Mad Man Moon so it makes an obvious link.

Yes it's always seemed to me IY was a finished song in its own right and they appropriated the middle bridging section for the Los Endos intro. I hadn't heard this notion about the original plan for tracklisting, but had noted the overlap between the original IY ending and the start of MMM. But it wouldn't have sat well between that and Squonk. Maybe they realised that, and that's what triggered its removal.

On my Genesis compilation, I've run IY part 1 into Los Endos, it was too obvious to resist it. I also split it for my ATOTT entry in the Rearrange a Genesis Album thread, making part 2 a standalone track which would need a title (any takers?!).

The clunky fade-out on the Archive 2 version is annoying and unnecessary. There wasn't much of the track remaining anyway, why not just let it run to its nice original conclusion?

Abandon all reason

• The clunky fade-out on the Archive 2 version is annoying and unnecessary. There wasn't much of the track remaining anyway, why not just let it run to its nice original conclusion?

That always ticked me off too! Fortunately, someone (from the old board) supplied me with a flawless digital version of the full original.

Anyway, IY almost seems like it was made to be a B-side. I have a hard time picturing it as an album track.

Little known fact: Before the crowbar was invented...

...crows simply drank at home.

• That always ticked me off too! Fortunately, someone (from the old board) supplied me with a flawless digital version of the full original.

Anyway, IY almost seems like it was made to be a B-side. I have a hard time picturing it as an album track.

Yes, not an album track. But an interesting psychedelic kaleidoscopic second half, unlike their usual stuff. I think elsewhere on this board there's a brief exchange I had with someone about the backtracked vocal on that bit, no-one seems to have ever worked it out.

At the time of 3x3 I did one side of a C90 cassette (the other side probably being Abacab) with non-album stuff going backwards in time, starting with the 3x3 and ending with IY, which made a good closer with that proper ending. Not quite flawless - all vinyl so some nice warm crackles here and there.

Abandon all reason