Your favorite tracks on ... "Abacab"

• Me and Sarah Jane and Abacab, but for me, the best track is missing: Submarine! a superb atmospheric track with excellent minimalist drumming.

I *love* Submarine! Such a cool vibe, I love the almost painfully slow build. A real atmosphere piece. My favourite from the entire sessions though is You Might Recall.

• I personally believe that songs like Submarine, Naminanu and You might recall would have considerably raised the bar. They are imo better than more than half of the album. Evidently, they had their reasons for such an odd final cut.

• I love the almost painfully slow build.

I like it and I think you nailed with that definition.

Personally though, I feel there's something missing and because of that slow build-up you were referring to, I keep waiting for something to happen and much as I love Genesis' instrumentals, I'm almost positive some vocals at the end would have been a nice cherry on the top.

• much as I love Genesis' instrumentals, I'm almost positive some vocals at the end would have been a nice cherry on the top.

For me, that would have ruined it. Though I'd have preferred more of a conclusion than the fade, but still a gentle one and definitely not a vocal one.

Abandon all reason

• For me, that would have ruined it. Though I'd have preferred more of a conclusion than the fade, but still a gentle one and definitely not a vocal one.

I have the original version, on the 7", it does have a conclusion, the boxset version is edited.

This version:

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Ian

Putting the old-fashioned Staffordshire plate in the dishwasher!

Edited once, last by foxfeeder ().

• I have the original version, on the 7", it does have a conclusion, the boxset version is edited.

This version:

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Thanks for this. I thought there was a concluded version I'd heard before.

The fadeouts of this and It's Yourself on that boxset are baffling and stupid.

Abandon all reason

• Thanks for this. I thought there was a concluded version I'd heard before.

The fadeouts of this and It's Yourself on that boxset are baffling and stupid.

They are both, sadly, unfortunate, but apparently caused by the deterioration of the masters. Same sort of issue that has had many, including XTC, reaching for the oven to bake the tapes. I'm not sure when baking became a solution, but it may have been after the boxsets were digitised.

Ian

Putting the old-fashioned Staffordshire plate in the dishwasher!

• They are both, sadly, unfortunate, but apparently caused by the deterioration of the masters. Same sort of issue that has had many, including XTC, reaching for the oven to bake the tapes. I'm not sure when baking became a solution, but it may have been after the boxsets were digitised.

Ah, right. Well then I'll let them off, I suppose.

Abandon all reason

• Actually, as I understand it, the fadeout on "Submarine" on ARCHIVE 2 was due to deterioration of the masters, but the fadeout on "It's Yourself" was simply due to an "artistic" decision on the part of the band. So, on the latter... no, don't let them off!!

Also, as I understand it, the later box set does include the original version of "Submarine," but leaves the same fadeout on "It's Yourself" -- while also (pointlessly, IMO) adding an additional verse to it from an early demo version.

And, in case you missed it, the faded version of "Submarine" on ARCHIVE 2 has some parts repeated, thus giving an "edited" version that's longer than the original.

Little known fact: Before the crowbar was invented...

...crows simply drank at home.

• Actually, as I understand it, the fadeout on "Submarine" on ARCHIVE 2 was due to deterioration of the masters, but the fadeout on "It's Yourself" was simply due to an "artistic" decision on the part of the band. So, on the latter... no, don't let them off!!

Also, as I understand it, the later box set does include the original version of "Submarine," but leaves the same fadeout on "It's Yourself" -- while also (pointlessly, IMO) adding an additional verse to it from an early demo version.

And, in case you missed it, the faded version of "Submarine" on ARCHIVE 2 has some parts repeated, thus giving an "edited" version that's longer than the original.

I'm starting to lose track!

I do indeed withdraw my letting them off regarding IY based on what you said. What a silly decision.

As the years went by they grew a little too fond of the fade-out ending, in my view.

Abandon all reason

• Was the additional verse of It's Yourself really from an early demo version? I always thought that was a part of the finished studio track that had been edited out at the time of the single release.

Either way, I wish they had kept the working title of Beloved Summer, that's such an evocative title. "It's Yourself" is quite lousy by comparison, IMO.

• Abacab is full of great stuff, but it doesn't hang together well as an album. They should have gone for a double, though that probably would have alienated even more fans.

My votes:

No Reply at All

Me and Sarah Jane

Keep It Dark

• They should have gone for a double

That's an interesting idea. The 9 album tracks plus the 5 outtakes add up to about 71 minutes -- probably a song or two short of a double, at least by Genesis standards. And, personally, I can't see "Naminanu," "Submarine" or "Me & Virgil" as anything but outtakes (although I do like "Naminanu").

Little known fact: Before the crowbar was invented...

...crows simply drank at home.

• They should have gone for a double, though that probably would have alienated even more fans.

Most certainly and I think I would have been the perfect example. I don't even think the material was strong enough for one album, I cannot imagine a double. As a matter of fact, during those two years they were pushing hard. releasing two studio albums and a live double album, clearly and rightly trying to capitalize on Phil's success and the result was imo quite uneven albums.

Even Shapes which has a superb first side was quite dodgy on the second. On the other hand, if they had released a single album with the best material on Abacab and Shapes, it would have probably been one of their best.

• I was never a fan of the studio version of the title track, but I have a passion for Man on the corner.

Dodo is an obvious choice, isn't it?

Then Another record. For me it's one of their most interesting tracks from the trio period

• rightly trying to capitalize on Phil's success

I believe Invisible Touch was the prime example of the above. Subsequent to Phil's 'No Jacket' tour, he and Genesis entered the studio, put IT together and hit the road in what was their biggest money making tour EVER. It made them all millionaires. Sales of the album, tickets, merch, etc was staggering monetarily.