GENESIS - The Last Domino? Tour

• Home By The Sea is my favourite Genesis song, and how it can be described as a 'snooze fest' is inexplicable to me.

One of the reasons I have loved this board is because there hasn't been the endless 'art vs money' that you get on Facebook pages. Now we see it here.

I wonder whether people who think Genesis became only about 'money' think they should have starved in an attic somewhere. The Beatles should never have left Liverpool, etc. I know that some don't like the band's later work but just to dismiss it entirely as about 'money' because it doesn't appeal to them on a personal basis does not seem right to me. But I will leave it to people more eloquent than myself to defend the later era.

Edit: I realise that most of this discussion is taking place in the Favourite Albums topic, but I had to spring to the defence of HBTS in some way, however short.

• Thing is, the need to make a living is a (the only) redeeming feature AFAIC - wouldn't have mentioned it otherwise, and probably shouldn't have.

You do realize that saying HBTS is your favourite Genesis song is akin to claiming that Shakespeare's last letter to his landlord has to be his finest work, dontcha? ;)

• Thing is, the need to make a living is a (the only) redeeming feature AFAIC - wouldn't have mentioned it otherwise, and probably shouldn't have.

You do realize that saying HBTS is your favourite Genesis song is akin to claiming that Shakespeare's last letter to his landlord has to be his finest work, dontcha? ;)

No, I don't. And I make precisely no apologies. You have your opinion, I have mine.

• And that's fine. We're just talking about two different bands—only one of which as any claim to posterity.

Both of these claims are just such sweeping statements which leave no room for any argument or doubt, that it is obviously pointless trying to continue. It's a shame.

• Both of these claims are just such sweeping statements which leave no room for any argument or doubt, that it is obviously pointless trying to continue. It's a shame.

He's just flashing his arse at you, thinking he's being impishly clever but seemingly not realising he's just making himself look pathetic.

Abandon all reason

• Of course we're not, as you well know. It's the same band, however unpalatable that is to your delicate, skewed sensibilities.

A very dogmatic, fanboyish view.

He's just flashing his arse at you, thinking he's being impishly clever but seemingly not realising he's just making himself look pathetic.

Now you're being vulgar.

Fabrizio, I'm not trolling.

I'm not saying the three-man band only put out rubbish (should have been more specific yesterday) - only that none of their output stands up to the classic albums.

It's a rather banal view that can only incense besotted fans of a band that was a shadow of its former self long before they called it a day.

• I'm not saying the three-man band only put out rubbish (should have been more specific yesterday) - only that none of their output stands up to the classic albums.

Saying the band died in 77 and then they started selling out and cashing in, didn't help understanding your point of view, then you'll have no objection from me regarding their classic albums vs their latest output.

• A very dogmatic, fanboyish view.

It's bordering on intriguing that you so utterly fail to see the rank hypocrisy of the above regarding your own one-dimensional dogmatic view and gushing fanboy worship of the 5 and 4 man material, to the extent you melodramatically shriek that they "died in 1977".

Everyone arguing against you is being completely reasonable where you're not. Fair enough if you genuinely dislike virtually every single thing they did from 1978 onwards, but you're not content with that, you have to also attribute any liking for post-77 material to indiscriminating fanboy/girlism. Others will speak for themselves but I can say I enjoy material from across their whole career, something you're apparently incapable of comprehending, while also disliking some stuff from across that entire output. I'm able to hear and appreciate the good in stuff from their whole output, but there's stuff I can't stand in both pre- and post-78. That's not dogma or fanboyism, it's having a broader and more nuanced appreciation than you have.

Your rigid one-zero binary approach of "up to 77 good, post 77 bad, liking post-77 = indiscriminating fan" is definitively dogmatic and your veneration of all that is pre-78 is much closer to gushing fanboying than anything you're attributing to us.

Abandon all reason

• Please be judgmental - otherwise we're all gonna get back to sleep ;)

Yeah, that's the only way to stay awake.

And yes, Wot Gorilla by a country mile. It has er... b*lls, imagination, and it doesn't outstay its welcome, while Home By The Sea is the apotheosis of the snooze fest hinted at by One For the Vine.

Cool. I don't mind Wot Gorilla myself but it's a throwaway track. Home By The Sea is a masterpiece.

• If o can throw my three pennith in here. I don't see any real trolling going here . He was "winking at you" !! No need to get bothered about someone disliking any of our favourite stuff. Anyone who loves anything G did should be welcome even it's just FGTR. Personally I like the earlier and the later. I mean let's face it everything they did up to but not including Trespass was great and CAS was tremendous, the bits in between left something to be desired. Lazlor you are a wind up merchant and quite good at it (sure you have read all this grinning from ear to ear) but underneath it seems there is a person that never quite got over the shock of PG and SH leaving. It was forty years ago. Time to move on . Go and have a lie down , do some deep breathing and then take a listen to some great stuff by a brand new 3 man Genesis line up, and don't compare to that other band. Try Fading Lights. It's very good at relaxing the mind and body. It'll help you let go of that tension. You might find you'll enjoy it. Actually ( apart from mark 1 2 and 7) my favourite line up was Genesis mark 5 I think. But here's a some shocking news. When it comes to the name Genesis, the main line up is the 3 man Genesis mark 6. They were in 12 of the 15 albums and made more albums than any of the other line ups. Also they are not quite dead yet. (Having said all that everyone is generally quite nice on this site, which why I like it.)

• Now, now, you kind of did, ATM machines were mentioned, if you are going to be inflammatory then just be it till the end. ;)

Well, to me 'selling out' implies a conscious move to please a mass market, which we can probably all agree isn't the case here.

I did say they had to make a living, and also that I don't hold it against them. After all, you can only be a starving artist for so long.

As we know, the process that led to the big hits was gradual, and they probably just stuck to a path that brought well-deserved rewards.

More power to them.

Doesn't mean I have to be blind to the fact that the music suff... er changed beyond recognition

hence my tendency to see the three-man Genesis as a different band.

• I'm sorry that I derailed this thread. I do resent hearing about a new tour by an incarnation of the band that has lost absolutely everything that made me cherish it in the first place, but there has to be a better place to hold the current discussion.

Can a moderator split the thread so that we can continue without spoiling it for those who'd rather talk about this latest reunion? Is it even possible on this board?

Thanks in any case.

• I'm sorry that I derailed this thread.

I'm not sure you did. I don't see a problem with the discussion as it panned out in the context of this thread. There are plenty of fans saying "I'm not bothering with this tour because..." with reasons similar to yours but your style of expressing yourself has helped to elongate this bit of the discussion because it inevitably causes people to want to respond.

If you'd been able to say you understood people liking the trio era and wanting to go on the tour without constantly qualifying that view with perjorative-sounding statements, everyone probably would've just moved on.

But as to your above comment, personally I don't see a problem with the current sub-discussion in and of itself, I think it has relevance.

Abandon all reason