The Genesis Trivia Quiz

• Inspired by the "Little Bits" thread, I'm borrowing this idea from another music board I am on. I will ask a question about some little factoid about Genesis. Whoever answers correctly gets to ask the next question. I'm deliberately not putting this in the Games section of the forum because I'm hoping that some of the questions/answers spark interesting Genesis-related discussion.

A few rules to keep things in order:

1. One guess per person.
    2. If no one can get the correct answer after 10 guesses (or a lack of responses for 24 hours), then the person who posed the question poses a new question.

I'll start us off with this question:

Which Genesis song features the last prominent appearance of an acoustic guitar?

• Not About Us?

Bingo. Your turn to ask a question.

I'm curious about why Mike chose to strum an acoustic guitar on this one. He has worked almost exclusively on electric guitars over the previous 2 decades (at least with Genesis). Has he ever commented on this in any interviews?

• Which Genesis song has the longest instrumental "introduction" (for lack of a better word) before there are vocals?

Little known fact: Before the crowbar was invented...

...crows simply drank at home.

• Correct! You get to ask the next question.

Awesome!

There's one track on which Mike plays comparatively little, and when it was pointed out to him by Tony in an interview, Mike said something to the effect of "well you played all the parts so there wasn't any room left, was there?!"

Name that track. Hint: it's an instrumental

• Awesome!

There's one track on which Mike plays comparatively little, and when it was pointed out to him by Tony in an interview, Mike said something to the effect of "well you played all the parts so there wasn't any room left, was there?!"

Name that track. Hint: it's an instrumental

I'm guessing... Submarine.

Abandon all reason

• I wonder if that's why, during the radio interview announcing the tour, it was jokingly suggested they include The Brazilian and while Banks said it was a good idea Rutherford could be heard dramatically sighing.

Annoyingly I thought initially of that track then dismissed it as I thought the bass was quite prominent as is the guitar at the end, I wouldn't have thought it qualified as MR not having much to do.

Abandon all reason

• I wonder if that's why, during the radio interview announcing the tour, it was jokingly suggested they include The Brazilian and while Banks said it was a good idea Rutherford could be heard dramatically sighing.

Annoyingly I thought initially of that track then dismissed it as I thought the bass was quite prominent as is the guitar at the end, I wouldn't have thought it qualified as MR not having much to do.

That's funny about the radio interview! I really like the guitar part at the end of that song, it all comes together very well. It does stand out a lot too, not sure if they were just having a good-natured dig at each other

• Oh no I have to think of question now!

So can't think of anything that's hard for bunch of Genesis fanatics.

So here's one for discussion. Which Genesis track is Tony Banks famously known for thoroughly disliking. I only know of one so if there are any others you have to get the one I'm thinking of.

Secondly , discussion option --- why on earth? It's really good.

• Oh no I have to think of question now!

So can't think of anything that's hard for bunch of Genesis fanatics.

So here's one for discussion. Which Genesis track is Tony Banks famously known for thoroughly disliking. I only know of one so if there are any others you have to get the one I'm thinking of.

Secondly , discussion option --- why on earth? It's really good.

I've certainly heard him be very dismissive about After the Ordeal but don't know if that's the one you mean.

Abandon all reason

• I've certainly heard him be very dismissive about After the Ordeal but don't know if that's the one you mean.

Yes. He's very down on it. I really don't know why. He didn't say in the interview I saw. I think it's a really nice piece that fits well amongst the grander tracks SEBTP