New to me - "new" bands and music

• Here is another song which is a cover of the song FAST CAR by Tracy Chapman, by the American LUKE COMBS.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• The new album by Omar Rodriguez Lopez (is It The Clouds) is quite stunning.

(He is the guitarist from The Mars Volta)

As I found it really good, I checked his previous work and was quite confused. In 2017 he released 10 (!) albums. So if anyone has a suggestion where to start, that would be wonderful …

cheers

Christian

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Follow us on Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | BlueSky

Deutsch? Check our German Website

Check out our brand new WhatsApp Channel!

• The new album by Onar Rodriguez Lopez (is It The Clouds) is quite stunning.

As I found it really good, I checked his previous work and was quite confused. In 2017 he released 10 (!) albums. So if anyone has a suggestion where to start, that would be wonderful …

Definitely start with 'Telesterion,' a compilation album that covers his early years (released somewhen between 2010 and 2013 I believe.)

After that, I recommend 'The Cloud Hill Tapes,' all three parts should have been released in one album. Great outlook on his later years.

And then, have fun with his discography! My top three are:

• Se Dice Bisonte, No Bufalo
    • Unicorn Skeleton Mask
    • Tychozorente
  • The new album by Onar Rodriguez Lopez (is It The Clouds) is quite stunning.

I've always liked his Bosnian Rainbows album. More "commercial" with female vocals.

• I just heard this pleasingly zippy bit of electropop and like it a lot, Down Bad by Tatyana, a London-based musician. Nice ascents in the chorus.

Also available, Hold My Hand which I'm also enjoying. The slight Goldfrapp feel appeals to me.

I gather her debut album It's Over is out next month.

Another recent discovery for me is Mitski, who I first heard late last year but who's been releasing music for about 12 years. This is a recent one, My Love Is Mine All Mine. I love its dreamy late-night feel. Anyone here familiar with her work?

Abandon all reason

• I prefer the second of the Tatyana tracks, had a nice dark edge. Will check out her album I think. The term "harp pop" is new to me.

Not familiar with Mitski though I recognize the name. I like the track, it's very smooth and relaxing, but not vanilla at all.

• Continuing my regular "just heard this on 6music today" series.

SOME by JJUUJJUU ft Boogarins. Rhythmic yet trippy.

This one I heard in a shop on Great Western Road in Glasgow: Talk Talk by Cannons. The woman at the till switched it to something else about 30 seconds in and I blurted out a reflex "Ohhhh, I was enjoying that!" She kindly put it back on and told me who it was. (Then switched it back again as soon as I left).

Abandon all reason

• Currently discovering MGMT - I like their new album and will check out their older stuff as well!

cheers

Christian

Follow us on Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | BlueSky

Deutsch? Check our German Website

Check out our brand new WhatsApp Channel!

• As a music act this fellow is certainly, er, new to me. From 1986, here's Anthony Hopkins with Distant Star.

I wonder if he did any other songs after this, maybe even an album. What became of him?

EDIT: In case you're now desperate to hear the b-side of this single that reached number 75 in the UK chart, here it is: Ordinary Man. Quite a startling change of style, I think you'll agree.

Abandon all reason

• Currently discovering MGMT - I like their new album and will check out their older stuff as well!

Interesting, I only know a couple of their early singles off their 2007 debut album that got (and still get) a lot of airplay in the UK. I quite liked the crunchy analogue-sounding synths. Since then I haven't been aware of their work. I had a listen to some of the new album and there is some nice stuff, though it doesn't sound like they've changed very much.

Tenuous Genesis link: I saw a video of them doing a cover of Invisible Touch (not very well, it has to be said).

Abandon all reason

• Continuing my regular "just heard this on 6music today" series.

SOME by JJUUJJUU ft Boogarins. Rhythmic yet trippy.

This one I heard in a shop on Great Western Road in Glasgow: Talk Talk by Cannons. The woman at the till switched it to something else about 30 seconds in and I blurted out a reflex "Ohhhh, I was enjoying that!" She kindly put it back on and told me who it was. (Then switched it back again as soon as I left).

I like both of these. The first one reminds me of Tame Impala but with more substance. And the second one is a band I have a passing familiarity with; this song Purple Sun is on a playlist of mine. I suspect the algorithm on YouTube led me to it because of my love of Still Corners' album Strange Pleasures.

• this song Purple Sun is on a playlist of mine. I suspect the algorithm on YouTube led me to it because of my love of Still Corners' album Strange Pleasures.

Not bad. At first I expected to not like it as it sounded a bit too glossy 80s overproduced, but then I warmed to it. Slight touches of some things I like such as Colourbox and Purity Ring.

I just had a quick listen to a bit of the Still Corners album. The name didn't ring any bells but seeing the cover image definitely did. Again, some 80s vibes in a good way, with a somewhat Goldfrapp-esque vocal at times - again, for me, a good thing. To be investigated further.

Abandon all reason

• I heard this song on the radio that I found equal parts catchy and annoying. It got stuck in my head but I could never find it after. Months later I heard it on the same radio station and tried to Shazam it, but Shazam couldn't identify it. This happened once or twice at intervals spaced several months apart, to the point where it's likely a couple of years now since I first heard it. A couple of weeks ago it came on again, and for some reason Shazam worked. It turns out it's an obscure Boston band that I gather was briefly active in the early 90s. I haven't explored the band beyond this song. I share it here not as an inducement to explore further, but because the damn thing is still stuck in my head going on a couple of years now. It might get stuck in yours and as they say, a burden shared is a burden halved 😃. There is a little bridge with the woman singing that I like a lot but I'm not sure that 15 second stretch compensates for the rest of the song.

"Joyride (I saw the Film)" by Tribe.

External Content music.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• I heard this song on the radio that I found equal parts catchy and annoying.

There is a little bridge with the woman singing that I like a lot but I'm not sure that 15 second stretch compensates for the rest of the song.

"Joyride (I saw the Film)" by Tribe

It starts kind of promising but for me is torpedoed by those annoying/comical bits with the mens' voices. Her voice quickly becomes a bit tedious. I'm happy to say I won't be sharing the earworm burden with you. But there are hints of 'they/this could potentially be sort of quite good". Is that praise faint enough?!

I feel like I vaguely recall the name Tribe.

Abandon all reason