Top 10 Genesis tracks

• I think while not exactly a favourite IT is an excellent pop song.

It took me a while to realise you were talking about Invisible Touch and not It from The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway! Speaking of It, though, that is also a pop song. So is I Know What I Like, More Fool Me, The Silent Sun, The Conqueror, A Trick Of The Tail, Afterglow, Your Own Special Way...not bad for a band who only "discovered pop" in the eighties :rolleyes:

• It took me a while to realise you were talking about Invisible Touch and not It from The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway! Speaking of It, though, that is also a pop song. So is I Know What I Like, More Fool Me, The Silent Sun, The Conqueror, A Trick Of The Tail, Afterglow, Your Own Special Way...not bad for a band who only "discovered pop" in the eighties :rolleyes:

Hahaha! I like both the ITs.

I was going to make that very point about their very clear pop songs through the years but, babbling on in various threads as I was, I forgot to. But anyway, yeah, what you said.

Abandon all reason

• Hahaha! I like both the ITs.

I was going to make that very point about their very clear pop songs through the years

They always had the odd pop song or even songs on practically every album. They were still not a pop group, releasing pop albums with the odd 'long' songs on them. That came later.

• They always had the odd pop song or even songs on practically every album. They were still not a pop group, releasing pop albums with the odd 'long' songs on them. That came later.

They were unquestionably the "poppiest" of all the so-called prog bands, favouring melody over virtuoso playing. Indeed, their first album was nothing but a pop album. It was just that those pop songs were simply not very good. When you get better at something, you're likely to do it more often, which is why you'll find the greater proportion of pop songs came in the second half of their career. I do believe it was Shakespeare who once said something about brevity being the very essence of wit. Ergo, if you can say something in five words, why use ten?

• They always had the odd pop song or even songs on practically every album. They were still not a pop group, releasing pop albums with the odd 'long' songs on them. That came later.

Absolutely right. He'll speak for himself but I think Still Can't Dance was making the point they didn't discover pop in the 80s.

Not that I'm saying you're doing this, but it gets forgotten that their original intention was to write hit songs for other people.

An old rock-head acquaintance irritably objected (as old rock heads are prone to) to Banks, in the Sum documentary, saying "I like having hits". Personally I don't see what the problem is.

Rutherford once said it's a lot harder to write a catchy three mintute hit single than a 10-minute multi-sectioned prog-out.

Abandon all reason

• I do believe it was Shakespeare who once said something about brevity being the very essence of wit. Ergo, if you can say something in five words, why use ten?

Not the first time you inject personal remarks while debating with me. I will very much appreciate you will refrain from that. If you have something to say, just say it, without getting personal or snarky. Thanks.

• It's also important to note that many of the Genesis members were big fans of commercial artists so why wouldn't they want to emulate their heroes? Peter Gabriel was a huge fan of Otis Redding, Phil's love of The Beatles and Tamla Motown is well-known, Mike loved The Who and Tony's favourite band was The Animals. All those artists were what you might call "pop" and rank amongst the most respected performers of the 20th century.

• Not the first time you inject personal remarks while debating with me. I will very much appreciate you will refrain from that. If you have something to say, just say it, without getting personal or snarky. Thanks.

What on earth are you talking about? I was quoting Shakespeare to illustrate the point that Genesis learnt how to abbreviate their music. The comment was not a personal remark about you at all. Lighten up, for Christ's sake :rolleyes:

• What on earth are you talking about? I was quoting Shakespeare to illustrate the point that Genesis learnt how to abbreviate their music. The comment was not a personal remark about you at all. Lighten up, for Christ's sake :rolleyes:

You are right and I apologize, I misconstrued your point , I see that now . I did it because of a couple or remarks you dropped in the past whose tone I didn't quite appreciate but in this particular case I must admit I was wrong. Sorry.

Edited once, last by Fabrizio ().

• You are right and I apologize, I misconstrued your point , I see that now . I did it because of a couple or remarks you dropped in the past whose tone I din't quite appreciate but in this particular case I must admit I was wrong. Sorry.

That's okay, Fabrizio. Apology accepted and, for my part, my apologies for the misunderstanding :)

• They were unquestionably the "poppiest" of all the so-called prog bands, favouring melody over virtuoso playing. Indeed, their first album was nothing but a pop album. It was just that those pop songs were simply not very good. When you get better at something, you're likely to do it more often, which is why you'll find the greater proportion of pop songs came in the second half of their career. I do believe it was Shakespeare who once said something about brevity being the very essence of wit. Ergo, if you can say something in five words, why use ten?

They were imo, perhaps with Jethro Tull the most song based prog band around, the difference being that perhaps JT didn't have the same level of musicianship to rely on. Genesis' writers department, unlike other bands, was a bit overcrowded and that marked a difference. As for FGTR, it is indeed poppy but I struggle to think of it as their first album, they said themselves many times they were not really in control and they were clearly trying to cater for J.King's taste. With that in mind, I would have no trouble admitting they had their share of pop songs here and there but I don't think they were considered a pop band or released pop albums. I also don't mean to demonize pop per se, nothing wrong with that. Mama and IT touch are both pop song, only for my money, I find the latter tacky and soulless and I wish they had continued on the former's course.

• It's also important to note that many of the Genesis members were big fans of commercial artists so why wouldn't they want to emulate their heroes?

All those influences you quoted are correct but they set out to do something else and bring things further. Yes covered Simon&Garfunkel and Deep Purple covered the Beatles on their early albums, clearly these artists influenced them a great deal but just like Genesis they were going elsewhere. Surely Peter wasn't interested in pop, nor was Tony, another Beatles fan or Steve. Mike was certainly more flexible, and Phil while he didn't write much in the beginning is certainly the most versatile of them all.

• Hi guys,

Just to remind you that this thread is a Genesis Top 10 countdown. Although very welcome, the subsidiary comments are, I fear, hijacking the thread so I may have to tiresomely re-post reminders every day or so to keep the focus prominent. (Unless anyone knows a way of hiding the comments via a tab)

Here’s my NUMBER 9:

I Know What I Like (In Your Wardrobe) from the album ‘Selling England by the Pound’ (1973): BRONZE

Who would expect to find a 4 minute single amongst the band’s 10 minute prog rock epics? Yet that’s exactly what you get with, ‘I Know What I Like’: a song that arose from a Steve Hackett riff and featuring a haunting sitar lick with the band’s signature dreamy atmospherics. Added to this is a woozy singalong chorus and a hovering flute solo. And let’s not undersell Phil during all this – his harmonies with Gabriel add texture to the vocals and do nothing if not help ‘keep them mowing blades sharp’. It even proved catchy enough bring those hot pants out on TOTP when the track reached No 21 in the charts and Pan’s People strutted their stuff (footage of which is sadly yet to reach Youtube) It might have been naff at the time but yesterday’s kids are today’s old proggers and more than partial these days to a bit of daddy-candy. Phwoarrr! Hot diggity!

Here’s the link to the live version from ‘Seconds Out’. At 8.43 it’s over twice as long and incorporates a beautiful segue into Stagnation at 5.37

External Content m.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.
    . Enjoy!!

~ My talents may not be obvious but they are always...always...delicious! ~

• Number Nine:

Squonk - just an amazing song from my favorite album. Wish I could have been a fly on the wall when Phil first sang this one in the studio. Love how the song starts off so powerful and ends real laid back. When I want to show anyone Genesis, this is usually the song I play them first.

• Number Nine:

Squonk - just an amazing song from my favorite album. Wish I could have been a fly on the wall when Phil first sang this one in the studio. Love how the song starts off so powerful and ends real laid back. When I want to show anyone Genesis, this is usually the song I play them first.

Squonk is an excellent song, I agree. Trick is my favourite Genesis album.

• I fear that was all me jumping to conclusions. Still, I appreciate it.

I appreciate we might have had a shaky start and that we may well not agree on many things but I am sorry for any personal comments that I have made in previous exchanges and I understand that the impression that I first made upon you has made you cautious about subsequent discussions.

• I Know What I Like (In Your Wardrobe)...let’s not undersell Phil during all this – his harmonies with Gabriel add texture to the vocals and do nothing if not help ‘keep them mowing blades sharp’.

Ironically, you have undersold Phil by not mentioning his drumming! He was very much channeling his inner Ringo on this tune.

Speaking of irony, I've always found it interesting that the band's first truly decent pop song came from Steve Hackett, a man often praised for his progressive leanings. I don't know if Selling England is Steve's favourite Genesis album but I wouldn't be too surprised if it was; it's certainly the album where he really shifts gear (then again, I think the band as a whole upped their game on this record, in every way).

• I appreciate we might have had a shaky start and that we may well not agree on many things but I am sorry for any personal comments that I have made in previous exchanges and I understand that the impression that I first made upon you has made you cautious about subsequent discussions.

Fair enough. We definitely have a different perspective on our favorite band, I am sure tough we can disagree while making it worth our while here. Much more stimulating in my view than trivial forums feuds ;)