Your favorite GENESIS studio albums (pick three)

• Official Post

Select your three favorite GENESIS studio albums 219

1. Selling England By The Pound (119) 54%
    2. A Trick Of The Tail (103) 47%
    3. The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway (79) 36%
    4. Duke (74) 34%
    5. Wind & Wuthering (64) 29%
    6. Foxtrot (53) 24%
    7. Abacab (32) 15%
    8. We Can't Dance (26) 12%
    9. Nursery Cryme (24) 11%
    10. And Then There Were Three (23) 11%
    11. Invisible Touch (18) 8%
    12. Trespass (15) 7%
    13. Genesis (15) 7%
    14. Calling All Stations (5) 2%
    15. From Genesis To Revelation (1) 0%

The questions of all questions for GENESIS Fans.

Pick your three favorite GENESIS studio albums.

A poll about the live albums can be found here

Your favorite GENESIS live albums (pick two)

• My three favourites are:

WCD – the album that made me a fan in the first place. A perfect mix of shorter hits and longer epics.

ATOTT – a masterpiece from beginning to end, not a single weak point.

ATTWT – this album still has a touch of progressive rock AND it is quite cohesive, the songs fit together well.

• My 3 are currently in the top 4: Trick, Wind & Duke.

Waiting to see if anyone will pick FGTR or CAS... :whistling:

Little known fact: Before the crowbar was invented...

...crows simply drank at home.

• Love these polls percentages... Highest goes on the top!! ..... ^^

SEBTP, ATOTT and Foxtrot.. Though I like W&W and all those other early genesis albums!!..........;)

• I voted for:

Nursery Cryme - Contains my favourite Genesis track, The Musical Box, which I first heard on Alan Freeman's Saturday Show;

Foxtrot - A good all-round album;

The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway - Contains my second favourite Genesis track, the title track. My favourite version is when the band played it live with Ray Wilson. The bass guitar sound, at this time, really took the track to another level, although I am now in some doubt as to whether it was played by Rutherford.

I also like:

Selling England by the Pound - A strong album, but not as good as the above.

Calling All Stations - I stopped listening when Gabriel left and Collins became lead singer. Ray Wilson took them back to making interesting music. The BBC broadcast live tracks on the In Concert programme and Johnny Walker's Saturday afternoon show, and I think the beeb or Genesis really should release this material.

• The Lamb, Duke and Invisible Touch.

The Lamb remains their most beguiling work. Ahead of its time and so far removed from what everyone else was doing at this point. Genesis never did anything like it before or since; the music has real bite. Yes, the concept is flawed - Peter Gabriel is a singer, not a novelist, and this is the damning proof - but that seems to be part of its charm.

Duke. I may have voted in haste here because I could easily lose Alone Tonight off this album. That said, the album is more than a sum of its parts. The three-man lineup found their feet here and this marks the beginning of a new era for the band. Undoubtedly, Chester and Daryl's playing had a positive effect on the way the band wrote their music. They're looser, much more open to different styles of music and there's an appealing immediacy to the songs that doesn't feel like a compromise.

Invisible Touch. This is where I came in so, even if it wasn't the slice of perfection that it is, I'd still vote for it on the grounds of nostalgia. Every track on this album works. From the unashamed r'n'b of the title track, through the dense soundscapes and mounting drama of Tonight Tonight Tonight to the brilliantly catchy Throwing It All Away. Too young to go and see them on tour, I heard their triumphant performance at Wembley Stadium as broadcast on Radio One (this was back in 1987, when that station still played music) and it introduced me to a whole host of other tunes from their past. Phil Collins availed himself as their perfect front man during that show: self-effacing, unpretentious and a consummate performer.

• Before i discovered the complete history of the band Genesis (and fell in love), i only knew Genesis as the band that did Duke through We Can't Dance. But i'd hear people say things like "Genesis was at it's best when Gabriel & Hackett were in the band". So i always assumed the best albums had Gabriel in them. But as i discovered the full history of the band, it seems fans actually like the two post-PG albums more than the PG albums. It's like the peak of Genesis was actually post-PG and had Phil on lead vocals. Is this a fair assessment? I was surprised, but now i agree as well. ATOTT and W&W are two of my top three picks (SEBTP being the other). Do people think it's interesting that Genesis actually survived just fine without an amazing talent like PG, and even did even greater works?

• Before i discovered the complete history of the band Genesis (and fell in love), i only knew Genesis as the band that did Duke through We Can't Dance. But i'd hear people say things like "Genesis was at it's best when Gabriel & Hackett were in the band". So i always assumed the best albums had Gabriel in them. But as i discovered the full history of the band, it seems fans actually like the two post-PG albums more than the PG albums. It's like the peak of Genesis was actually post-PG and had Phil on lead vocals. Is this a fair assessment? I was surprised, but now i agree as well. ATOTT and W&W are two of my top three picks (SEBTP being the other). Do people think it's interesting that Genesis actually survived just fine without an amazing talent like PG, and even did even greater works?

Yes! I think there are more than a few here who like the 4-man band version best (myself included). ATOTT (IMHO) always sounded like the more proper sequel to SEBTP than The Lamb did. The Lamb was completely sui generis to my ears - great, but wholly unique in the Genesis catalogue. ATOTT and W&W continued the classic, established "Genesis sound" starting with Trespass all the way up to SEBTP.

I was always amazed that they were able to lose PG and continue and then lose SH and continue - neither of those are easy things to overcome. Heck, even in the early days, losing Ant Phillips made them consider not continuing briefly. They really are one of the most resilient bands ever.

Stepping out the back way, hoping nobody sees...