The Thread Of Complete Randomness

• There's been a recent study that claims evidence the very sentences "An old proverb says" and "An old Chinese proverb says" traces back to the 19th century. Looks like we've been used for ~200 years to add this introductory clause to any proverb, particularly modern proverbs that are anything but old and by no means Chinese.

• There's been a recent study that claims evidence the very sentences "An old proverb says" and "An old Chinese proverb says" traces back to the 19th century. Looks like we've been used for ~200 years to add this introductory clause to any proverb, particularly modern proverbs that are anything but old and by no means Chinese.

😂 Excellent!

I'm now wondering if the following sayings that I understood to be Arabic proverbs really are:

Fish, and guests, stink after 3 days

A host is his guest's prisoner

Start selling shrouds and people will stop dying (- a nicely gloomy take on what we tend to call Sod's Law)

and my absolute favourite:

It is better to endure the wind of a camel than the prayers of a fish

For years I puzzled over that one, then realised it's obviously a different version of "better the devil you know"

Abandon all reason

• There are proverbs that have been coined more recently. "If you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen" is attributed to Harry Truman for example. I think "It's easier to get forgiveness instead of permission" is also somewhat more recent - within the last century.

• There may well be no knew proverbs. You know what they say " when it's done,it's done" However if there are any moments in life that require a new proverb I'm sure we'll get one after all necessity is the mother of invention.

• Pandas in the news again here. As far back as I can remember the news loves a 'will they won't they' panda story speculating whether a pair of zoo pandas are going to drop a sprog. Even as a kid I couldn't fathom the interest in it, and I still don't give a shit now.

Abandon all reason

• On screen, anyone can be shot or stabbed in the shoulder and they'll be fine. Okay, they'll go "AAAAHHHH!" and grab at the shoulder, go a bit lop-sided and wobbly but can still carry on running away from the bad guys relatively unimpeded, and later make a full recovery and live a full life. In films and TV shows the shoulder becomes a near-indestructible body part.

Abandon all reason

• Hey genesis1964 I'm right near you in the excellent Castello cafe where I recommend their long black and the delicious cinnamon bun. We're here on a birthday trip for Mrs B. But don't worry we won't do the unannounced drop in. Happy 2024!

Abandon all reason

• Hope you are having a great time. Sadly I am at work and the thought of a cinnamon bun is making me hungry.

Must also try that cafe as not been there

“Without music, life would be a mistake”

• Hope you are having a great time. Sadly I am at work and the thought of a cinnamon bun is making me hungry.

Must also try that cafe as not been there

It's very good, we used to enjoy going there when it was at Castle Street. It now has more room on Barclay Terrace.

Mrs B is now wandering to the west end then back to the hotel while I load up on Chinese at Street Of Beijing (new to me) on Home Street ahead of seeing Priscilla at the Cameo, a favourite cinema of mine.

Abandon all reason

• It's very good, we used to enjoy going there when it was at Castle Street. It now has more room on Barclay Terrace.

Mrs B is now wandering to the west end then back to the hotel while I load up on Chinese at Street Of Beijing (new to me) on Home Street ahead of seeing Priscilla at the Cameo, a favourite cinema of mine.

It is my eldest son's favourite cinema, he goes there just about once a week

“Without music, life would be a mistake”

• I've come into Inverness city centre for a dental appointment. But a quirk of the bus times meant I had to arrive about an hour early. As it's about -4C I wanted to sit somewhere indoors for a while. The only place open was the victorian indoor market where although none of the shops and restaurants were open the main doors were, so I've had the odd experience of sitting at a table in the otherwise deserted food hall, surrounded by darkened silent shops and cafés, with terrible music playing over the PA. Just for me.

The staff at the Bad Girl Bakery Café are just opening up now though so my solitude is at an end.

Abandon all reason

• I'm sure you all know that one of my countrywomen is now Queen Consort of Denmark. Although the way the media covered the story King Frederik was lucky to get a mention.

I got annoyed with certain media saying they 'ascended' the throne. They 'acceded' to it. Ascension means something very specific which happened in the Bible.

• I hung four curtain rods today. It took twice as long as it should have, at least one is canted at a visible angle, a couple of the screws are ornamental only, my fingers are split and sore, and if they all remain in place for more than a week, I'll count it as a win.

You'd think I'd have learned my lesson from wall-mounting a tv last year. That still hasn't fallen but one of these days a heavy truck driving by will hit a pothole and that'll be that.