PETER GABRIEL - I/O: The Tour 2023 (general info)

• Official Post

PG chose to play 11 I/O songs.

In the Growing Up Tour there were 6 from the UP album

At least one or two song from Security album.

The Growing Up tour had those songs

Darkness

Growing Up

Sky Blue

The Barry Williams Show

More Than This

Signal To Noise

plus further new tracks:

Animal Nation

Downside Up

Father Son

No Way Out and My Head Sounds Like That were also played sometimes

later during that tour he also added The Tower That Ate People, White Ashes, Baby Man and Burn You Up Burn You Down.

So there also was a lot new material, althought nearly everything was available when the tour started.

As for the i/o tour, our sources say they did rehearse The Towe That Ate People and Shock The Monkey.

I doubt Peter will drop Darkness, as it is attached to Love Can Heal.

• Ok.

Although Downside Up, Father Son were in Ovo album, therefore not so new.

Animal Nation was an upbeat song very pleasure to listen.

So PG helped us break out from the usual setlist. :)

• Official Post

If you consider the Growing Up Tour to be the tour for the album Up, there were 6 songs played from it. (At least at the beginning. The longer the tour went on, the less he played of it and replaced it with other (somehow) new stuff. At the last festival gigs there was nothing played of the Up album on that Still Growing Up Tour. For me that's quite unusual.)

But 6 songs of a new album in a concert is an average value, I think.

This time it's the other way around: Almost one half of the setlist is made of songs of a new album. That's unusual much.

And even more so, it is unusual to make half of the show of a whole new album, while half of the songs (Europe) nobody knows. - So the i/o Tour is in deed somehow special.

• As to whether they're songs nobody knows, I think that depends on the perspective of when people attend the concerts.

For example: for someone who saw the show in April, I could imagine the setlist would be somewhat daunting-since almost half of the setlist are songs that no one has ever heard before! I know for myself at least, I would hate to attend a concert of one of my favorite artists-and almost half of the songs are completely unfamiliar to me!

For someone seeing the concert in later months (like myself, in October) I imagine it'll be a very different experience. By the time I go in three weeks, I will already know and have enjoyed all of the songs except for two! So for me, I'll be going to a concert where I actually know almost all of the songs. And it's all just because of which month I'm going.

• As to whether they're songs nobody knows, I think that depends on the perspective of when people attend the concerts.

For example: for someone who saw the show in April, I could imagine the setlist would be somewhat daunting-since almost half of the setlist are songs that no one has ever heard before! I know for myself at least, I would hate to attend a concert of one of my favorite artists-and almost half of the songs are completely unfamiliar to me!

For someone seeing the concert in later months (like myself, in October) I imagine it'll be a very different experience. By the time I go in three weeks, I will already know and have enjoyed all of the songs except for two! So for me, I'll be going to a concert where I actually know almost all of the songs. And it's all just because of which month I'm going.

Saw the show in Europe and I cannot agree to what you wrote. I enjoyed every minute, though I didn't not know half of the new tracks. It was quite an experience!

• That's interesting. Cos I saw PG on that tour in Milwaukee Wisconsin-which IIRC was about halfway thru his US leg. During that show he didn't play Barry Williams Show, Animal Nation, Downside Up, White Ashes OR Burn You Up! It was a full length setlist, but he only played five songs from Up.

Then again, it was during Milwaukee's annual Summerfest event. It was a traditional style outdoor stage...so maybe since it was a festival and a different kind of venue that may have had an effect on what he played...but I'm not sure.

• He played "The Tower That Ate People" tonight in Columbus. Got an extra song tonight!

• Official Post

That's interesting. Cos I saw PG on that tour in Milwaukee Wisconsin-which IIRC was about halfway thru his US leg. During that show he didn't play Barry Williams Show, Animal Nation, Downside Up, White Ashes OR Burn You Up! It was a full length setlist, but he only played five songs from Up.

Then again, it was during Milwaukee's annual Summerfest event. It was a traditional style outdoor stage...so maybe since it was a festival and a different kind of venue that may have had an effect on what he played...but I'm not sure.

That was the Stripped Down leg without round center stage, those shows indeed had a different setlist.

https://www.genesis-news.com/c…ive-in-Milwaukee-s19.html

all setlists:

https://www.genesis-news.com/c…rdates-20022004-s559.html

I'm not sure I agree with you, but each to their own! I saw the second show of this tour in Verona and loved every minute of it despite not knowing any of the new songs, Panopticom, Four Kinds Of Horses, excepted. I quite like not knowing what to expect. He did a similar thing back in September 2002 at Theatre De La Mutualite in Paris, 5 old songs, 9 new. But as i say we all like different things!

• I'm not sure I agree with you, but each to their own! I saw the second show of this tour in Verona and loved every minute of it despite not knowing any of the new songs, Panopticom, Four Kinds Of Horses, excepted. I quite like not knowing what to expect. He did a similar thing back in September 2002 at Theatre De La Mutualite in Paris, 5 old songs, 9 new. But as i say we all like different things!

I respect that stance on it. I guess for me if I didn't know half the songs, much of my attention would be spent wondering when and whether he will play this song or that song...But you're right it depends on the person I guess...It's kind of the same concept as whether people want to know the setlist ahead of time or have it all be a surprise!

I tend to prefer concerts to be a celebration, rather than a reveal...

• I got a shirt and a tour program.

Honestly, it's my first time seeing him and it was absolutely a fantastic show, so I really felt compelled to purchase a few momentos.

Having said all that, unlike the show, the merch was underwhelming in my opinion. The white t-shirt I got is a bit plain and quite frankly looks like a Jack-in-the-Box restaurant design from the front, and the tour book I thought lacked any history and could've included more pictures of the show and less space for his causes and artists behind the video presentations. But to each his own, nobody made me buy them.

Shirt was $50, book was $30. 1 merchandise stand in the entire arena, was hard to find and a long line but they were pretty good about moving through quickly.

Edited once, last by Kovach ().

• You make it sound like it's one or the other, but it can be both at once. It certainly is for me, especially with such a creative artist as PG.

Indeed it can be...Like I (and others) said, "to each their own." No one reasoning is more valid than another when it comes to personal preference.

• With the final show having ended tonight, i/o The Tour has concluded. While I am sure I'm not alone in hoping he announces more dates next year after the six months off he says he's going to take, I thought it'd be good to look at some setlist stats for the 47 shows he performed.

(All of this is culled from the Tour Statistics page at setlist.fm)

There were 20 songs that were played every night of the tour. These included:

• one song from Car (Solsbury Hill)
    • one from Melt (Biko)
    • five from So (Red Rain, Sledgehammer, Don't Give Up, In Your Eyes, and Big Time)
    • one from Us (Digging In The Dirt)
    • two from Up (Darkness and Growing Up)
    • ten songs from i/o (Panopticom, The Court, Playing For Time, i/o, Four Kinds Of Horses, Road To Joy, Olive Tree, Love Can Heal, This Is Home, and Live and Let Live)

Two more songs were played almost every night:

• And Still (from i/o) was played at 42 shows, the last of which was the Palm Springs show on October 14th
    • Washing Of The Water (from Us) was the acoustic opener at 40 of the 47 shows

Then there were four songs that were performed rarely, but all multiple times:

• Here Comes The Flood (from Car) was the alternate acoustic opener at seven shows, performed in German at every show in Germany and Switzerland; it was also performed in English, somewhat randomly, at the Detroit show.
    • What Lies Ahead, currently an unreleased and album-less new song, was performed at six dates: the first three dates of the European leg (Krakow, Verona, and Milan) and then three of the final four North American shows (Denver, Austin, and Houston). When performed, it was an additional song on the setlist (i.e. not replacing another one), coming before Big Time and after either And Still or So Much. Speaking of which:
    • So Much (another i/o track) was played five times, each time replacing And Still in the setlist. The first time was in Copenhagen, allegedly due to the visual artist on the song's single, Henry Hudson, being in attendance. It then made a comeback at the end of the tour, being played at the final four shows in Denver and across Texas.
    • The Tower That Ate People (from OVO) was the rarest song of the tour, performed at only four North American shows. It was also the only song to move around in the set. The first time it was played was in Columbus, where it came as the penultimate song of the first set, in between This Is Home and Sledgehammer. The other times were across three of the final five stops of the tour: Palm Springs, Dallas, and Houston. At these shows, it was played as the first encore song, before In Your Eyes. Each time, this was an additional song in the set, not replacing another number.

(The setlist.fm tour statistics technically has one rarer song for the tour: a "cover" of Happy Birthday To You, sung by Peter and the crowd to Jimmy Carter at the New York City show. I didn't count that in the rundown here, but I'm noting it in the interest of full disclosure.)

In terms of set length, most concerts had 22 songs performed. At five shows, What Lies Ahead was added to make it 23 songs (Krakow, Verona, Milan, Denver, and Austin). At three others, the addition of The Tower That Ate People made it 23 songs (Columbus, Palm Springs, and Denver). And at the tour closer in Houston, both songs were added, bringing the song total to 24.

Finally, it's worth noting that on this tour, roughly half of each night's set was new material from i/o (plus What Lies Ahead, which is a new song that, for now, can be considered a non-album track). Of course, the songs of i/o have been released one by one over the course of the year as singles on each full moon; so the number of "unreleased" songs changed over the course of the tour. Here is the breakdown of that:

Seven unreleased songs:

• May 18-May 21 (Krakow, Verona, Milan)
    • Tracks: Olive Tree, This Is Home, Love Can Heal, Road to Joy, And Still, What Lies Ahead, Live and Let Live

Six unreleased songs:

• May 23-May 28; May 31-June 2 (Paris, Lille, Berlin, Munich, Stockholm, Bergen)
    • Tracks: Olive Tree, This Is Home, Love Can Heal, Road to Joy, And Still, Live and Let Live
    • May 30 (Copenhagen)
    • Tracks: Olive Tree, This Is Home, Love Can Heal, Road to Joy, So Much, Live and Let Live

Five unreleased songs:

• June 5-June 25 (Amsterdam, Antwerp, Zurich, Cologne, Hamburg, Frankfurt, Bordeaux, Birmingham, London, Glasgow, Manchester, Dublin)
    • Tracks: Olive Tree, This Is Home, Love Can Heal, And Still, Live and Let Live

Three unreleased songs:

• September 8-September 27 (Quebec City, Ottawa, Toronto, Montreal, Boston, Philadelphia, New York, Washington DC, Buffalo, Pittsburgh, Columbus, Cleveland)
    • Tracks: This Is Home, And Still, Live and Let Live

Two unreleased songs:

• September 29-October 14 (Detroit, Chicago, Milwaukee, St. Paul, Vancouver, Seattle, San Francisco, Los Angeles, Palm Springs)
    • Tracks: And Still, Live and Let Live
    • October 16-October 18; October 21 (Denver, Austin, Houston)
    • Tracks: What Lies Ahead, Live and Let Live

One unreleased song:

• October 19 (Dallas)
    • Track: Live and Let Live

Maybe not useful data...but fun to put together and to have as a record when we start considering what the setlists may look like for (fingers-crossed) future concerts/tours.

• Maybe not useful data...but fun to put together and to have as a record when we start considering what the setlists may look like for (fingers-crossed) future concerts/tours.

Don-e seems to allude to future shows in one of his Instagram/Facebook reels with the comment 'There's gonna be more man, there's gonna be more" I can't make out the word he says before that line, but who knows?

https://www.facebook.com/stori…count=9&source=story_tray

• I hope he will do more shows in 2024.

If not, I am very happy I did see this tour. It was special in may ways and if it was his last, it also was a nice way to say goodbye.