PETER GABRIEL - I/O: The Tour 2023 (general info)

• Official Post

European shows were not filmed.

• I don't want to open a new thread (as it might clutter the section) so I'm going to ask it here: do you expect a different show for the North American part of the tour? If yes, what do you think will change?

• I’m pretty sure that the American tour will be filmed !!!

Possible new setlist : Shock the monkey / Games whithout frontiers / Mercy street or Carpet Crawlers (!).

• Official Post

I don't think Peter will change much this year. I see no reason why he should. The setlist is well developed and seems to work for him.

Maybe he will replace Washing Of The Water with something - at least as a try for a few shows - but that's all...

Something different is with the shows that may come next year. But that depends on the reactions on i/o.

• I’m pretty sure that the American tour will be filmed !!!

Possible new setlist : Shock the monkey / Games whithout frontiers / Mercy street or Carpet Crawlers (!).

What makes you so sure he will film in America? Recognising that Plays Live was recorded in the US (before being "tampered with") he's tended to release his Live material from elsewhere in the world.

• Official Post

I would not expect too many changes

„So Much“ could be an option if he can get this one working live.
    He will play his new album for sure. Visuals are really sophisticated. Unlikely he’ll throw in a lot of new songs

• Hi, from the pictures, the Dublin concert was a great success.

This is the end of IO's European tour.

What's next?

Now it's time to rest:

-Will there be another European tour in Autumn 2023 or Spring 2024?

. I would like it to be in Spain (Madrid or Barcelona).

- I think the ticketing went well except for the cancellation in Notingham....

-It would be interesting the edition of a dvd or Blue ray of a concert or songs of the tour; like his videos of years ago: still growing up live & unwrapped/ IO Live & Unwwrapped....

-In December or January will be IO released in cd format?

- In August there will be two new moons, therefore two new songs.

Greetings!

• Official Post

i have moved your post into this thread as it’s more of a general post.
    Further European shows won’t happen in 2023, so 2023 would be an option, but nothing has been confirmed so far.
    No show has been filmed in Europe.

Outside Scandinavia and the UK, ticket sales were good.
    not sure Peter will release an album in December or January. Those two months are the least realistic ones for an album Release. I think March would be more likely.

• i have moved your post into this thread as it’s more of a general post.
    Further European shows won’t happen in 2023, so 2023 would be an option, but nothing has been confirmed so far.
    No show has been filmed in Europe.

Outside Scandinavia and the UK, ticket sales were good.
    not sure Peter will release an album in December or January. Those two months are the least realistic ones for an album Release. I think March would be more likely.

Christian,

Can any of your sources give any hints on a possible DVD, I know as you mentioned, nothing has been filmed so far. This seems like it would be a huge missed opportunity if they don't film on the next leg of the tour.

Great setlist, he and the band sound fantastic and the videos and pics I have seen show the set is also outstanding.

Thanks,

Michael

• I think there may well be more European dates next spring/summer 2024. This would make a lot of sense given the investment in the stage show and trying to re-coup some of the costs. Secret World ran for over 2 years, Growing Up/Still Growing Up was another 2 year + I think. At the moment the I/O tour only covers 6 months. There may be shifts in band members especially the younger ones who already have careers in their own musical areas and have prior commitments. I'm hoping there will be more in Europe anyway!

• I think there may well be more European dates next spring/summer 2024. This would make a lot of sense given the investment in the stage show and trying to re-coup some of the costs. Secret World ran for over 2 years, Growing Up/Still Growing Up was another 2 year + I think. At the moment the I/O tour only covers 6 months. There may be shifts in band members especially the younger ones who already have careers in their own musical areas and have prior commitments. I'm hoping there will be more in Europe anyway!

Except that, as you touch upon, he's now 73. I guess much depends on how much of a toll this tour takes, especially vocally. There's also the little matter of how poorly it's sold (on the whole). However, given he's bound to want to capture this show for posterity and as there's no sign of him doing so in the 'States, I wonder if he'll do something akin to Live Blood and do a couple of shows somewhere - perhaps Hammersmith again - specifically for the purpose.

• Official Post

Except that, as you touch upon, he's now 73. I guess much depends on how much of a toll this tour takes, especially vocally. There's also the little matter of how poorly it's sold (on the whole). However, given he's bound to want to capture this show for posterity and as there's no sign of him doing so in the 'States, I wonder if he'll do something akin to Live Blood and do a couple of shows somewhere - perhaps Hammersmith again - specifically for the purpose.

as mentioned before most of the European shows sold surprisingly well. So, if he does more, it's likely they will play it safe with a couple of new placed. Recording shows somewhere would be the center of those plans I am sure. We'll see.

I don't hink they will record any of the US or Canadian shows.

• Once the European part of the tour is over, it's all guesswork. Personally I would like him to come to Spain in the spring of 2024, but with Peter you never know....

What we do know is that in the next two months there will be three more I/O songs; that is to say, we will be entertained.

I would like to film a concert on the North American tour, and introduce some variation in the set... for example GAMES WITHOUT FRONTIERS, SAN JACINTO or MERCY STREET.

• I have to say, I've always liked going to gigs by PG and hearing new stuff. Lets not forget that Genesis went out and played the whole of TLLDOB in USA before it was released, a bold step indeed at the time. The first WOMAD was pretty much all new stuff as well, and was brilliant.

• Official Post

Once the European part of the tour is over, it's all guesswork. Personally I would like him to come to Spain in the spring of 2024, but with Peter you never know....

What we do know is that in the next two months there will be three more I/O songs; that is to say, we will be entertained.

I would like to film a concert on the North American tour, and introduce some variation in the set... for example GAMES WITHOUT FRONTIERS, SAN JACINTO or MERCY STREET.

why should be play those tracks and which ones would he drop for them? I find this unlikely.

We will have full moon releases until December or even longer. Not only until august.

• I was at the Dublin gig. Have to say it was fantastic. Some of the footage on youtube had me worried but that didn't compare to reality. Was a big fan of the first 6 albums, but first time I've got to see him.

A few points:

Programmes - I got one at the gig - glad to see they will be selling them online. I'd much rather buy a programme after the event online as the previous one i got from a PC gig was ruined by the person giving it to me having oily fingers. This latest one is dry paper based, so was a bit scuffed by the time I got home. And i had to queue behind people trying on t-shirts for 20 mins just to get one - why do these stalls not think to have a fast track column for quick pay items. Grrr. They were selling on ebay for more than purchasing on site. If paying on the site it should include free delivery as they are saving money not paying merchandisers.

Ticket Sales - there were a couple of rows spare on either side at the Dublin gig. Not sure why. And some seats spare at the far edges, but otherwise pretty full. I was worried before hand given the Nottingham announcement and also the fact that not many people had been viewing the new material online. I feel PG could have done with a bit more PR. But then he's sort of shot himself in the foot by not releasing an album for 20 years, and going off and doing other projects. But that's Peter!

Tour video - I hope so. I will certainly get one. But forget DVD. I want BD! It was a better visual show than i was expecting given the size of the tour. And would be great to have a last visual memento if this is to be the last major tour. The new stuff was also better than much of the last two albums for me, so would be great to have that immortalized on video.

Touring beyond 2023 - hope so. I came out of that gig thinking I would happily go back and see it again the next day. Was thinking about Elton John playing Glastonbury and how great it would be if PG was back there again. Certainly his voice is stronger than Elton's. And how many legends are there left...? So, maybe a continuation of the tour next year before ending up there..?

• I have to tell you one thing. Having both versions on one CD seems to me to be a repetition. But a cd/LP with a good cover, photos of the tour or rehearsals and the lyrics of the songs would be fantastic. I don't think it will be released in September because there will only be 9 songs (with their versions).

Maybe wait for March/April 2024 when the American part of the tour will be over and there will be more songs from I/O.

Or we could have a dvd-blue ray of one of the concerts plus the CD in a pack (cd + DVD).