Glastonbury 2023

• I've also enjoyed sets by Maggie Rogers, Charlotte Adigery and the Manics which started quite patchy but got a lot better. Nice guest spot by The Anchoress. Weyes Blood were good, a new discovery for me.

Foo Fighters were dull. Kudos to the new drummer doing a good job and filling big shoes, a tough job. But Grohl's voice was ragged and the multiple singalong breakdowns were tedious.

Abandon all reason

• All on the i player

A fair bit of it, mostly for another 28 days or so.

I caught Alison Goldfrapp's set which is very good electropop. I really liked her take on the Goldfrapp song Rocket, which was never a favourite of mine (or indeed hers).

Abandon all reason

• I watched The War On Drugs and I'm really into this band now.

I know of them but haven't listened much so will follow up.

A few more I've watched: really enjoyed Jockstrap whose work I've liked hearing on the radio this last year; the opening song of their set is a particular favourite. The singer is from Black Country New Road, some of whose stuff I've also liked but I didn't get on so well with their Glastonbury set.

I got 3 songs into Rina Sawayama's set and found it too overwrought and overdone - too much melodrama and wildly flashing visuals in support of a pretty weak voice and songs that are quite dull when you strip away all the over-indulgence. Warpaint also didn't last beyond a few songs, only with them it was kind of the opposite - very wan and tired-sounding.

Still lots to see. Sadly it seems it won't include Lana del Rey. The BBC are being very vague and non-commital about why her set isn't available.

Abandon all reason

• I don't think Lana del Rey and the BBC are happy with each other. There was some trouble. She came onstage 30 minutes late ( may have been due to her stylist arriving late ) and had her set cut due to curfew. Apparently missing 6 songs.

• I don't think Lana del Rey and the BBC are happy with each other. There was some trouble. She came onstage 30 minutes late ( may have been due to her stylist arriving late ) and had her set cut due to curfew. Apparently missing 6 songs.

Yes I watched her set on the night, after it began and unaware it had started late until she warned the audience the plug might be pulled but she was carrying on anyway. I'd heard her stylist being delayed was the possible cause. Whatever the reason, its absence from the iplayer is a real shame. It was mesmerising, one of the best headline slots I've seen.

After the switch-off I was captivated by her handling of it, going down to the barrier for an audience singalong to Video Games. I had no idea of the devotion she inspires, it was compelling seeing the audience reaction. I hadn't known much about her outside of a few live slots on TV that I liked, but I'm now left wanting to go see her on stage. But it'd have to be up close indoors.

Abandon all reason

Must be something else. There is no curfew at Glastonbury.

• One of the direct influences on 2021's I Don't Live Here Anymore was stated as 1980s Genesis, particularly IT. I don't see it myself, but it's a good album, nonetheless. (Though not my favourite.)

I would have said Duke (I Don't Wanna Wait has a lot of Duchess elements in my opinion).

• I watched The War On Drugs and I'm really into this band now.

I like some of their stuff, An Ocean Beneath The Waves got me really excited, but the more I listened the more I felt there was just something missing. It's hard to explain. I find them a little insubstantial is the best way I can put it. Maybe it's his voice.

• I just watched most of TWOD's set; it didn't do much for me. It's okay, not terrible but simply hasn't made much impression on me. I quite liked a longish one that had a synth sequence running through it and really nice treated female backing vocal, but as with a few of them it was a bit spoiled by some badly misplaced sax.

It's an odd one, I can see they're good but it's sort of bouncing off me.

Yesterday I watched Caroline Polachek which I enjoyed, apart from the one that blatantly rips off Penny Lane.

Abandon all reason