PETER GABRIEL | 16 October 2023 DENVER, CO - Ball Arena (i/o: The Tour) ***SPOILER***

• Official Post

PETER GABRIEL - i/o: The Tour 2023

16 October 2023 DENVER, CO - Ball Arena

Setlist:

Washing Of The Water
    Growing Up
    Panopticom
    Four Kinds Of Horses
    i/o

Digging In The Dirt

Playing For Time

Olive Tree

This Is Home

Sledgehammer

Darkness
    Love Can Heal
    Road To Joy
    Don’t Give Up
    The Court

Red Rain

So Much
    What Lies Ahead

Big Time

Live And Let Live

Solsbury Hill

In Your Eyes

Biko

All tour dates and ticket info

Post your show comments, photos etc here.

• Multiple posts on Reddit saying the same. Looks like they were played in lieu of And Still. (Someone also said So Much was a "stop and re-start it because something went wrong" performance.)

Looks like BillysNumber got more than just the one bonus song he had been hoping for. Congrats! I'm jealous!

• Official Post

Interesting. That wasn't to be expected.

• Found video of the two songs already up on YouTube:

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

(The guy who posted it erroneously says in the captions these are both the "world premieres"...but they are the North American premieres, at least.)

• What Lies Ahead is such a gorgeous song. To think that he's releasing his first album of new material in over 20 years and a song like this doesn't make the cut! (I know it would have dipped the scales had it been included, and it might have even come down to decision between two sparse songs like So Much and this one.)

Happy to know he's releasing more music sooner rather than later (I know he's said 2024 but come on, Peter, seeing is believing!). Who knows, hopefully we're getting more surprises like this during the last few gigs of the tour now that the LA and Palm Springs shows are in the can. Still three shows to go.

Also immensely happy that he's now filmed two shows, and while I never doubted a live Blu-ray — considering his track record with live footage and the extravagant visual makeup of this tour — it's still something to not worry about anymore. It will be released whenever it will be released. I'm quite confident he'll give us an Atmos track, but hopefully this will be in 4K, as well. Anyway, I've already warned my family that whenever it's released, we're going to be watching it on a daily basis then. It would be a cherry on top if they included The Tower there, even as an extra.

Speaking of an upcoming Blu-ray release, I'm not entirely sure why some people think this particular fact somehow confirms there won't be any more live shows for next year. We got confirmation of Europe in November, six months before the tour began. The US leg comes to an end this Saturday, and if we give him six months of "family man" time, we're still only in April. I don't expect a concert Blu-ray to be released before next fall, honestly, which would give him plenty of time to tour in the summer or fall 2024, either with this same visual setup, or then with something different in mind, before a potential release. He could release tour dates as late as April and we'd still have a possibility for a late-fall tour.

Maybe this all just means that we won't be hearing any new music before April, and there's going to be no tour, but I'm definitely not reading any of the information we've received this past week as indication there wouldn't be.

• "WHAT A SHOW!!!!"

Indeed, he DID play both So Much and What Lies Ahead last night, as a replacement for And Still! That was a nice surprise. I'm not a huge fan of So Much, but it sounded beautiful live.

My 11 year old daughter had a fantastic time, for this-her first ever concert. Although (as I expected) once we got to about Big Time, she really started losing steam cos it was almost 11pm by that time, after a full day at school LOL!

It was a fantastic night full of incredible performances. Certain songs like Panopticom, i/o and Playing For Time had an energy played live that the recordings don't have! I was amazed that Peter could still jump around on stage and sing as well as he could, at his age! The last time I saw him live was in 2003, and he was every bit JUST as good last night - 20 years later-I would say this experience was actually better, since there was more dramatic and advanced visual technology!

One thing I was slightly disappointed about: since he did both So Much AND What Lies Ahead, that meant that last night PG's setlist was literally MORE new songs than old favorites (12 vs 11). A show where more than half the setlist is new songs (two of which have not been released yet) is a bold move, especially for an artist who has more of his touring days behind, rather than ahead. Not a huge deal I guess, but as a matter of personal preference, just one more old one in there (like The Tower perhaps) would've evened that out. I know the surprise ones were two songs, but those two are much shorter songs, so it would've been about the same amount of time as And Still-just saying ;)

Despite that minor gripe however, it was still an amazing time from the opening note, to the very end where my daughter was right there with me, pumping her fist in the air and singing to the closing section of Biko (with every last bit of energy she had left LOL)!!

• What Lies Ahead is such a gorgeous song. To think that he's releasing his first album of new material in over 20 years and a song like this doesn't make the cut! (I know it would have dipped the scales had it been included, and it might have even come down to decision between two sparse songs like So Much and this one.)

Agreed; I love What Lies Ahead. It’s good to know that Peter hasn’t lost faith with it, too. I love the lyrics and how it builds to a mini crescendo, like the New Blood version of San Jacinto. It also features the Orphei Drangar male choir that appear on This Is Home. It’s great to finally find out who the first verse was inspired by as well (https://www.pbs.org/tesla/ll/ll_colspr.html). I’m still hopeful that it may be included on a deluxe version of i/o 🤞