PETER GABRIEL - Love Can Heal - Track discussion

• It’s curious that Peter decided to use both Tchad Blake and Mark Stent for mixing this time around — and that he’s often leading with the Bright-side Mixes by MS, when the majority of people, myself included, seem to prefer the Dark-side Mixes by TB, where the instruments and vocals are enhanced/more prominent. Stent seems to favour a more polished, radio-friendly sound, which I don’t like. In fact, I prefer all of the Dark-sides and only listen to these; my only issue is that the guitar on Road to Joy was completely removed, which was a shame. Back to Love Can Heal: I’m also expecting to prefer the Dark-side Mix, for the same reasons as everyone else.

• A clip of Love Can Heal from the WOMAD Festival listening session has been posted on Peter’s social media — and his vocals are much more prominent at the end of the track. It sounds beautiful, and reminds me of Curtains (Broad Mix), with the whispered vocals as well.

• Official Post

A clip of Love Can Heal from the WOMAD Festival listening session has been posted on Peter’s social media — and his vocals are much more prominent at the end of the track. It sounds beautiful, and reminds me of Curtains (Broad Mix), with the whispered vocals as well.

we will probably find out if that was just an impression - or maybe his vocals are mixed differently in the ATMOS mix. Just a few days ...

• It’s curious that Peter decided to use both Tchad Blake and Mark Stent for mixing this time around — and that he’s often leading with the Bright-side Mixes by MS, when the majority of people, myself included, seem to prefer the Dark-side Mixes by TB, where the instruments and vocals are enhanced/more prominent. Stent seems to favour a more polished, radio-friendly sound, which I don’t like. In fact, I prefer all of the Dark-sides and only listen to these; my only issue is that the guitar on Road to Joy was completely removed, which was a shame. Back to Love Can Heal: I’m also expecting to prefer the Dark-side Mix, for the same reasons as everyone else.

Totally agree here. The Bright Side mixes seem intentionally more "generic and radio-friendly" in terms of mixing. I've always said the Bright Side mixes are more for mass-appeal among casual listeners, and the Dark Side Mixes are the ones that really feel more experimental, like a genuine Peter Gabriel song, the way fans know and love them to be. Love Can Heal is no exception here.

I actually can't wait to hear the Dark Side Mix of this song-I imagine several things will come thru more prominently, in addition to PG's vocals at the end.

• Official Post

It's true that the Bright-Side Mixes are more pop-like. But in general, I like them better. Occasionally they are a bit too pleasing and I am looking forward to the Dark-Side Mix. But then the Dark-Side Mix gets released and has some absolutely disqualifying elements, like loud and rough drum beats, that I still stay with the Bright-Side Mix.

Besides, they have much more details and elements to offer, they are not as brittle and empty as the Dark-Side Mixes. I think, in general they are more interesting.

• It's true that the Bright-Side Mixes are more pop-like. But in general, I like them better. Occasionally they are a bit too pleasing and I am looking forward to the Dark-Side Mix. But then the Dark-Side Mix gets released and has some absolutely disqualifying elements, like loud and rough drum beats, that I still stay with the Bright-Side Mix.

Besides, they have much more details and elements to offer, they are not as brittle and empty as the Dark-Side Mixes. I think, in general they are more interesting.

I do acknowledge that certain sounds do get buried or outright left out on some Dark Side Mixes-like Panopticom for example, where the verse completely misses what is IMO an essential keyboard sound-with that taken out, the verses are mostly just drums, bass and sound effects. This is part of why Panopticom is actually one of the couple songs where I prefer the Bright Side mix.

• Official Post

A wonderful Dark-Side Mix

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

I did listen to the In-Side mix first (a beautiful one!) and the additional vocals are even more prominent there. Was hoping it might be in the Dark-Side Mix as well and it is.

• I wish I was able to listen to the In-side Mixes.

The Dark-side Mix is a bit more sparse, but I love, from 3:30 onwards, the piano loop and the fact that Peter’s additional vocals are much more prominent. I definitely prefer this version.

• I prefer the Bright Side here. It simply feels more "flowing", while the Dark Side is somehow like a puzzle. You can hear different things more clearly, but that is not beneficial to the song.

But the In Side Mix is again outstanding! As if Atmos was made for this.

• I must say, Love Can Heal is now added to my very small list of songs where i actually prefer the Bright-Side Mix.

Honestly I wasn't really a fan of this one...too many things that IMO characterized what made this song so beautiful to me in the Bright-Side mix were straight up removed, vocals at the end notwithstanding.

Some may enjoy it-but IMO this version makes it sound....unfinished. Almost like a demo.

• Dark-side again for me. But I'm biased: every song I now prefer the dark side (took 5 months to switch from bright to dark for The Court). I prefer the rawer sounding bass and drums and the more unusual elements. In some cases the dark side mixes are more muddled or murky compared to the bright side, though when it comes to PG I'm happy to wade into the murk.

• I see it coming: At the end we will have a veritable war between the two camps...

For me it’s been whichever mix has been released first — I’ve listened to those versions so many times that by the time the second mix arrives, it sounds stranger and takes actual time and work to get used to. Especially since both underline certain instruments that — when missing from the other mix — I sorely end up missing.

But I’m happy to stand with Team Buff, though, if push comes to shove. Those Atmos mixes have, in my mind, the best of both worlds, because he can bring in more sounds around you, and while he also underlines certain things, I feel like nothing is altogether lost in the process. They sound great on AirPods Pro as well, but there’s that added feeling of zen when I have to sit down on the sofa and not run around while listening. (Edit: by which I mean is that I have an Atmos soundsystem in the living room, not that it’s not possible to sit down and listen attentively with headphones/earphones.)

Love Can Heal is no exception. Really an amazing feeling to have Peter whispering to you from all around you.

• ... exploring the dark-side more and more. I think this version has more depths and detail. I prefer the DS mix here.

... make tomorrow today!

• Official Post

a new version (post band version) has just dropped on Bandcamp (for subscribers)

details here

https://www.genesis-news.com/c…ugust-2023-s894.html#post