PETER GABRIEL - And Still - Track discussion

• i/o - Track #11 - "And Still"

DARK-SIDE MIX: 2023.10.28

Bandcamp

BRIGHT-SIDE MIX: 2023.11.11

CREDITS:

Artwork: "And Still (Time)" (fka "Dividing the light (rumblings)") (2022) by Megan Rooney

Words and Music: Peter Gabriel

Engineering by Oli Jacobs, Katie May

Assistant engineering by Faye Dolle, Dom Shaw

Orchestral engineering Lewis Jones

Orchestral assistant engineering by Tom Coath, Luie Stylianou

Pre-production enginneering by Richard Chappell

Produced by Peter Gabriel

Mastered by Matt Colton at Metropolis

Recorded at Real World Studios, Bath, The Beehive, London, British Grove, London

Rhythm Programming: Peter Gabriel, Richard Chappell

Tuned Percussion: Peter Gabriel (Wine Glasses)

Bass: Tony Levin

Electric Guitar: David Rhodes

Piano and Synths: Peter Gabriel

BVs and Transformer Vox: Peter Gabriel

LVs: Peter Gabriel

Orchestral Arrangement: John Metcalfe with Peter Gabriel

From the New Blood Orchestra

Violin: Everton Nelson, Richard George, Natalia Bonner, Cathy Thompson, Debbie Widdup, Odile Ollagnon, Ian Humphries, Louisa Fuller, Martin Burgess, Clare Hayes, Charles Mutter, Marianne Haynes

Viola: Bruce White, Rachel Roberts, Fiona Bonds, Peter Lale

Cello: Ian Burdge, Caroline Dale, Tony Woollard, Chris Worsey, William Schofield, Chris Allan

Solo Cello: Ian Burdge

Double Bass: Chris Laurence, Lucy Shaw, Stacey Watton

Flute: Eliza Marshall

French Horn: David Pyatt, Richard Bissill

Tenor Trombone: Andy Wood, Tracy Holloway

Bass Trombone: Richard Henry

Tuba: David Powell

Orchestra Conductor: John Metcalfe

Orchestra Leader: Everton Nelson Sheet Music Supervisor: Dave Foster

Orchestra Contractor: Lucy Whalley and Susie Gillis for Isobel Griffiths Ltd

• Official Post

DARK-SIDE MIX: 2023.10.28 - available at midnight localtime
    YouTube Music

BRIGHT-SIDE MIX: 2023.11.10

CREDITS:
    Artwork: "Dividing the light (rumblings)" (2022) by Megan Rooney

thank you :)

• Here I am listening to a song I've only occasionally listened to after hearing for the first time in April. I remember Megan Rooney's powerful art from that concert, and this very brooding, atmospheric and complex song that seemed to have it all when it comes to PG as a musician and storyteller of personal stories (a kind of darker and out there version of Father, Son), and how well a song like this would have fitted Up. For this reason, if — in a parallel universe somewhere — PG did release i/o in 2004, this is what I'd imagine it might have sounded like, with songs like Animal Nation and Baby Man as counterpoints.

Anyway. I also remember thinking how gorgeous this will sound on the album, and how difficult a song it is to perform live due to the very subliminal things going on in the song. This is partly why I've abstained from the fan recordings (whereas Live and Let Live I've been listening a lot from that Berlin show that's been on YouTube for months now) of this particular song. So in a way it feels like this is indeed a new song for me, because I've been least familiar with it.

The production does not disappoint. I'm in awe of how great it sounds, there are so many things to pick up and concentrate on. It’s bleak and with the occasional hopeful release, very layered, quite close to So Much, obviously, but also Four Kinds of Horses in terms of production, probably mostly because of that machine drum track.

A long, complex, majestic piece of writing and music production.

• Official Post

I like it. <3

Better than Father, Son. :/

hard to compare, really. Father, Son was written when his dad was still alive and had - for this reason - a different vibe and atmosphere.

And Still is something else. I like this a lot, as I have lost my mother a few weeks ago as well...

• This one seems popular at first look at this thread so far! To each their own I guess.

As for myself; I believe this song has now replaced So Much as my least favorite song on this album. Don't get me wrong-it's well put-together, and a beautiful tribute to Peter's mother. But to me the song is kind of...uneventful, as it just meanders along and doesn't really go anywhere-then just ends. To me, it almost sounds improvised-and being almost eight minutes long doesn't really help things.

I will say this: I've listened to it three times now, and by the third time it had sounded a little more appealing than that first listen. So it may grow on me abit, the way The Court did-but I anticipate it will probably still remain at the bottom of my personal list for i/o. and that's fine! They can't all be favorites, after all!! :)

• Official Post

Meanwhile, our track article is online here

https://www.genesis-news.com/c…28-October-2023-s904.html

I am very sorry. :(

I judged the song for its melody and emotion.

I made the mistake because Father, Son PG sang it at his father's funeral. :(

no worries, your opinion is really fine. I just wanted to point our those songs were written in completely different settings / times

• carlosgabrx I appreciate a lot that you keep us informed with the song details and the credits.

But as I just found out the credits are incomplete and also the entrys are re-arranged. - So I was wondering where you got it from?

They are from TIDAL, it is the only streaming service that allows artists to post all credits for a song for viewing. They may vary a little because the roles that TIDAL has may be a little different from the way Peter publishes it later on Bandcamp and on his website. In the case of the painting, Megan Rooney likely changed the name of the piece after Peter chose it, as the piece was previously known as "Dividing the light (rumblings)".

• Though this one still hasn't grown on me yet, after several listens, In my opinion it really sounds like something that could've been on Up - does anyone get that? It almost kind of has a similar mood to My Head Sounds Like That in a way...

• Official Post

Ah - thanks for clearyfying that. - Tidal - hu...

It's not only about the painting. They also left out the appearance of Tony Levin and droped the line, who plays the solo cello.

That last led to confusion in the german section of this forum were people thought there is Caroline Dale playing, who apparently also accompanied David Gilmour some time ago. But she is only playing in the ensemble here.

• Though this one still hasn't grown on me yet, after several listens, In my opinion it really sounds like something that could've been on Up - does anyone get that? It almost kind of has a similar mood to My Head Sounds Like That in a way...

I had a similar feeling as well (after i heard this for the first time), but when you listen to this more often, it’s something else, something very unique. It may lack a catchy melody, but this is really arranged nicely. I am impressed.

... make tomorrow today!

• When Peter described in his Full Moon video how he tried making the song kind of echo the style of music his mother liked-the 40's style ballads-I can definitely hear that in there in a subtle way-especially in the middle.

Feel the same...at first listen, i immediately thought of "my head..." from Up .

Unfortunately, i think the vocals are very annoying in this new song,

i'm not moved at all by his voice which is strange...

Probably my least favorite one with the title track.

I'm sad because it's a very moving song written for his mother and of course lyrics are great but i don't like the melody here.

i much prefer "Father,son".

i hope i will like it later...

• I probably need A LOT of time to dig into this one. Pretty amazing composition obviously, but far from being accessible ...

i think the vocals are very annoying in this new song,

i'm not moved at all by his voice which is strange...

Probably my least favorite one with the title track.

Funny, I thought his vocals are pretty interesting on this one (and also the title track is a good one as well) ;)