GENESIS: "Invisible Touch" Director's Cut on YouTube (8 Nov 2023)

• Official Post

Tomorrow, we will see the long lost Director's Cut of the music video for "Invisible Touch" along with some MTV footage in YouTube.

This text is from the Facebook Group, supporting Phil's nomination for the Rock'n'Roll Hall of Fame

By Traci Baker

I’m excited to finally announce the special project I’ve been working on… On Wednesday, Nov. 8, at Noon PST, I will be doing a live premiere of the Special Director’s Cut of the “Invisible Touch” Music Video. This video aired only only once 37 years ago, never to be seen again. PLEASE SHARE THIS POST ANY WHERE YOU CAN. LET'S SPREAD THE WORD.

Jim Yukich, will be joining me on the live stream to watch along with us, and answer any questions you may have for him. Jim was Director of the original video, and the person responsible for the Director’s Cut. He Directed more than 50 Genesis and Phil Collins videos, along with concert films and TV specials for them as well.

Want to know more?

When I interviewed Jim in January 2023, we talked about this footage, and he said it was long lost. But I was persistent. He searched and searched his archives —and found the tapes! They are in a format that is no longer is used, and Jim does not have a device to transfer the tapes digitally (so that I can work with them and make something that we can show on the YouTube channel). But again I was persistent. I found someone who does have a machine to do it. Jim had to do something called “baking the tapes“ to ensure the tapes could run at least one more time on a machine, because they sat for 37 years untouched, and might have become very brittle. Once he completed that process, I flew to his home city to pick up the tapes from him. Neither of us wanted to risk them getting lost or damaged in the mail.

The guy I used for the digital transfer is very, very nice and I’ve used him for other things in the past, so I knew he was careful and reliable. But he normally has a 6-8 week lead time and requires that you leave your source material with him. Well, I wasn’t willing to do that. And in life, you can make a lot of things happen if you’re willing to pay for it. So I paid a premium, (a big one) and he let me sit there in his shop while he did the tape transfer. After all is said and done it took about six hours that day.

Once I got the files, I went through the process of reviewing them, and deciding how I wanted to present the music video to you guys. The original broadcast was an hour+ on MTV in 1986 featuring Mike Rutherford as a guest VJ. His special guest was none other than Jim Yukich. MTV thought up a theme for Mike and Jim, which you will see. Mike introduces videos that he wanted to play, and in between he and Jim would have funny banter, all leading up to the high point of the program, where Mike and Jim have a contest for who created the best alternate version of the “Invisible Touch” music video.

For the purposes of this Premiere, I did not include any of the actual music videos, rather just the parts where Mike and Jim talk before, and after, each video. With, of course the exception of the special versions of “Invisible Touch.”

At some point, I will release the entire broadcast as it was originally aired for anyone who wants to see what that was about. Mike chose to play videos by Peter Gabriel, The Blues Brothers, Mike and The Mechanics, Phil Collins, Dire Straits, Kate Bush, and others.

The mini movie that I put together incorporates the edited MTV footage, a bit of my interview with Jim and a couple other little surprises… It’s running time is just about 28 minutes that fly by quickly.

It’s so exciting to see the video, and it’s also fun to see Mike hosting the show. He’s so funny. And did a great job! And so did Jim. It kind of cracks me up, Jim appears to be very soft-spoken during the special, not how I experience him at all. But then you know that was a long time ago!

I am thrilled to present to you, as part of the #getphilvotedin campaign, the world-premiere of the Directors Cut of the Genesis music video, “Invisible Touch."

Join me and Jim Yukich on Wednesday, Nov. 8 at Noon Pacific (PST) time. Which is 3 PM on the East Coast of the US. I am pretty sure that is 8 PM London, 9 PM in Geneva, Switzerland, 2 PM in Mexico City. I think it may be 9 a.m. Nov. 9 for my Australia friends. Just to give some examples. YouTube should tell you for your time zone if you set an alert by clicking the link below and clicking “Notify Me."

I hope you will enjoy this VERY special treat. And I hope it brings more attention to the #getphilvotedin campaign--it's the reason for everything I am doing. XO, ❤ --Traci

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Official Post

Oh - interesting!!!

I was not aware this existed. Thx for sharing.

Same here. Never heard of that TV show neither.

• Official Post

it's online now - enjoy!

• Official Post

That was a lot of fun. Thank you so much for sharing...

I wonder what else Jim Yukich has in his archives... ;)

that was my thought as well. Hope there's more to come!