ANTHONY PHILLIPS / HARRY WILLIAMSON - "Gypsy Suite" on CD (23 Feb 2024)

• Official Post

The ANTHONY PHILLIPS and HARRY WILLIAMSON album Gypsy Suite will be re-released on CD (remastered and expanded) on 23 February. It also contains the Tarka demos again plus a previously unreleased demo.

More info here:

https://www.genesis-news.com/n…-Suite-remaster-n913.html

APHW_GS_1400.jpg

Question to Jonathan Dann

I wonder if there are plans for an expanded TARKA album? No that we get the demos with this expanded edition of Gypsy Suite, it could also have been a common boxset with both albums? Can give us some insights in the release plans here? Thanks :)

• Just to mention that the Expanded and Re-mastered Edition of Gypsy Suite is a single CD.

I wonder if there are plans for an expanded TARKA album?

There is currently nothing to report about a re-release of Tarka.

The Tarka demos on the Gypsy Suite CD are of course the same tracks that were first included on the original 1995 release, with the addition on the new edition of the previously unreleased demo of Movement III.

• Really interesting. I own the regular edition of this CD, this far I haven't started re-purchasing any albums. Maybe some day. Ant has so much interesting stuff in his archives, he never gives out all he has though.

• Official Post

Just to mention that the Expanded and Re-mastered Edition of Gypsy Suite is a single CD.

There is currently nothing to report about a re-release of Tarka.

The Tarka demos on the Gypsy Suite CD are of course the same tracks that were first included on the original 1995 release, with the addition on the new edition of the previously unreleased demo of Movement III.

Thanks! I have corrected the news accordingly.

• Really interesting. I own the regular edition of this CD, this far I haven't started re-purchasing any albums. Maybe some day. Ant has so much interesting stuff in his archives, he never gives out all he has though.

Really?? I have the opposite impression - that he has released everything he's ever recorded! Every take, every experiment and every alternative version! I welcome it, but I suspect it's rather daunting to someone starting to collect him

• Really?? I have the opposite impression - that he has released everything he's ever recorded! Every take, every experiment and every alternative version! I welcome it, but I suspect it's rather daunting to someone starting to collect him

Agreed - I think Ant and Jonathan Dann have unearthed pretty much everything there is to unearth. And very welcome it is too!

• Having bought the Tarka album upon release (I see the official website dates this as 31 October 1988) I was unaware of the accompanying single which according to the discogs website followed in November. (It would be good to know the precise date.)

Although the CD single has been fairly easy to acquire over the years, the 7" in picture sleeve has been harder to come by - at least at a reasonable price. I was disappointed in 1989 when I ordered a copy via mail order. Unfortunately, it transpired it had sold out and I was sent a copy of the Australian (non-picture sleeve) 7" which had been released there that year.

As an aside, that Australian copy is something of an oddity. The only other country in which it was released and yet the album didn't come out there. Perhaps the single was an attempt to test the water to see if a release of the album was viable. 45cat (which unusually doesn't list the UK single at all) gives a release date for this of 3 July 1989. Amusingly, discogs has a copy with a handwritten date on it: the 31st of June. Presumably, Monday 3 July is accurate.

Anyway, I have finally filled the long-held gap in my collection with a copy of the UK 7". Any comments providing any further information or clarification on any of the foregoing would be most welcome.

EDIT: UK single release date established as 21 November 1988.