Artwork Plagiarism

• Better not throw the first stone on this one.

But the great difference is that Genesis told from the very first moment that 3x3's artwork was a nod to the Beatles, they never hid it.

"When we released the 'Three By Three' EP, we did a Beatles parody, with a nice glossy cover photograph of us all jumping off a Wall"

Phil Collins ("Interview with Johnny Waller" Melody Maker 25th Dec. 1982)

The same with Land of Confussion, another nod to the Four-Headed Monster boyband that was stated by Genesis at the time.

Regarding The Way We Walk 2, its cover is based on that of The Way We Walk Tour poster where the band re-enacted the I Can't Dance choreography with their profiles copied several times in a sequence of black and white photos and coloured outlines, with The Way We Walk 1 showing the b+w photos. I think I Can't Dance choreography (also seen in the Invisible Touch video) is based on the green man of the (crosswalk) traffic lights, hence the coloured outlines.

• It's understandable that on a board for Genesis fans there'll be a tendency to think of the world revolving around the band, but that is what is behind the belief that the Madonna cover must surely be a conscious pastiche of FV. There have been many such close-up b&w cover shots before and since FV. The handwritten title isn't enough to propel it into definitely being some sort of deliberate copy.

I think it's the fact that it's Phil Collins, not Genesis, it sold gazillions of copies and that it's literally one of the most recognisable and famous pop album covers of the 1980s

• I think it's the fact that it's Phil Collins, not Genesis, it sold gazillions of copies and that it's literally one of the most recognisable and famous pop album covers of the 1980s

I get what you're saying. But the notion that Madonna, who is very involved in her own promo imagery etc, and her team said "For this remix album let's copy that Phil Collins one from 40 years ago" is highly unlikely. It's much more likely they decided on a particular kind of image, the b&w close-up, as has been used on many covers over the years. Once they do that, the question of where to put the title leaves them with little choice, which is why it's where it is rather than a deliberate copy or pastiche. But I understand people on this board wanting to find definite connections where there aren't any.

Abandon all reason

• I meant a defiant look. Their faces were posing defiantly.

Phil looks serious, contemplative. You and I must have different definitions of the word 'defiant'. Defiant is saying 'come and get me, I'm fighting back'. Although he no doubt thought that when he was making the album, his face doesn't show that. I'm re-reading his book and all he says is he wanted people to see right into his eyes.

• The Clash- London Calling and Elvis Presley's first album. :/

Yes - but wasn't that meant to be a 'tribute' and acknowedged as such?

What about Zappa's We're Only In It For The Money/Sgt Pepper? I think Zappa discussed it with McCartney before he released it.

• Yes - but wasn't that meant to be a 'tribute' and acknowedged as such?

What about Zappa's We're Only In It For The Money/Sgt Pepper? I think Zappa discussed it with McCartney before he released it.

Yes, it's a direct reference to Elvis, but in reverse.

He doesn't play the guitar! 8)

• Phil looks serious, contemplative. You and I must have different definitions of the word 'defiant'. Defiant is saying 'come and get me, I'm fighting back'. Although he no doubt thought that when he was making the album, his face doesn't show that. I'm re-reading his book and all he says is he wanted people to see right into his eyes.

I have the same definition of 'defiant' as yours and yes, for me PC is showing a 'come and get me, I'm fighting back' stance, which does not exclude at all to be also a serious and contemplative one at the same time. What I wanted to say is that both Collins and Madge are gazing the same way.

• I have the same definition of 'defiant' as yours and yes, for me PC is showing a 'come and get me, I'm fighting back' stance, which does not exclude at all to be also a serious and contemplative one at the same time. What I wanted to say is that both Collins and Madge are gazing the same way.

They're both looking into the camera.

I think you are reading far too much into this. Before this topic was started I had never heard of the Madonna album. Does it worry me that it looks slightly similar to FV? No, it does not.

For what it is worth this is the quotation from Not Dead Yet about FV:

For the cover, I have the idea of seeing inside my head, right through the eye sockets. What is going on inside this person's mind? That, and not any egotistical reason, is why it's a close-up. And of course, it's black and white. That cover image in turns underlines an idea I've not had for the title: Face Value.

• I think you are reading far too much into this. Before this topic was started I had never heard of the Madonna album. Does it worry me that it looks slightly similar to FV? No, it does not.

Madge's is a remixed hits album from 2022. The fact that its artwork looks suspiciously from that of another singer without showing any acknowledgement amuses me from time to time but it hasn't keep me awake at night ever.

• Hmm... No mention of Beatles / SGT. PEPPER'S LONELY HEARTS CLUB BAND vs. Mothers of Invention / WE'RE ONLY IN IT FOR THE MONEY?

Little known fact: Before the crowbar was invented...

...crows simply drank at home.