Fisher Lane Farm - The GENESIS studio

• Not a huge surprise. Once the original owner is out of the loop, people tend to "bend the provenance" of items to increase the price. Used to happen a lot with Mellotrons back in the day, so people would claim it belonged to "Crimson/Banks/Pinder/Lennon" to jack up the price. Very hard to prove otherwise unless you have serial numbers etc.

Buying from the original owner is the best bet, but even that can be an issue. Genesis believe they bought an ex-Crimson 'tron because they went to crimson's rehearsal room, and they almost certainly did, (Discussed elsewhere recently) but let's face it, anyone can carry an instrument into a building. A mixer, slightly harder! :)

As an aside, from your records, you might know this: The serial number of the first Genesis 'tron? Crimson's (that were early enough to have been sold at this time) were a mk 2, serial no 113, and another mk2, no 211.

Caveat Emptor, eh? (Probably Latin for "Empties your Wallet)

Ian

Putting the old-fashioned Staffordshire plate in the dishwasher!

• Nice photos. I wonder why No Reply At All was called 'Nationwide'?

• Nice photos. I wonder why No Reply At All was called 'Nationwide'?

They might've thought it bore a resemblance to the theme tune of BBC daily magazine show Nationwide. It doesn't sound similar to me but there's a bit of brass and maybe at some earlier iteration it reminded them of that theme tune a bit. Possibly. Or something.

For anyone unfortunately familiar with current BBC early evening sofa-based fluff-fest The One Show, Nationwide was one of its distant progenitors, mixing in current affairs with "human interest" stuff. Except Nationwide took a more straight 'newsy' approach. But they did have a tendency for irritating quirky "ooh look how eccentric" type of stuff. An irate Rowan Atkinson character on Not The 9 O'clock News derided it for its coverage of "skateboarding ducks, and dogs that can play the trombone" which wasn't far off actually.

It would go out after the local regional news bulletins. British people of a certain age will well remember it being trailed by gravel-voiced Michael Barratt - "That's at 6.20, after your own programmes - Nationwide."

Abandon all reason

• They might've thought it bore a resemblance to the theme tune of BBC daily magazine show Nationwide. It doesn't sound similar to me but there's a bit of brass and maybe at some earlier iteration it reminded them of that theme tune a bit. Possibly. Or something.

For anyone unfortunately familiar with current BBC early evening sofa-based fluff-fest The One Show, Nationwide was one of its distant progenitors, mixing in current affairs with "human interest" stuff. Except Nationwide took a more straight 'newsy' approach. But they did have a tendency for irritating quirky "ooh look how eccentric" type of stuff. An irate Rowan Atkinson character on Not The 9 O'clock News derided it for its coverage of "skateboarding ducks, and dogs that can play the trombone" which wasn't far off actually.

It would go out after the local regional news bulletins. British people of a certain age will well remember it being trailed by gravel-voiced Michael Barratt - "That's at 6.20, after your own programmes - Nationwide."

Remember that very well. Hard to believe it stopped almost 40 years ago. Fond memories of Frank Bough being a presenter

“Without music, life would be a mistake”

• Remember that very well. Hard to believe it stopped almost 40 years ago. Fond memories of Frank Bough being a presenter

Indeed he was, as was Sue Lawley. I remember a very young Jeremy Paxman on it, already starting to hone his aggressive probing questioning style much to the dismay of a few rather shaken-looking guests, especially as they generally weren't particularly big fish.

By contrast, wasn't it Nationwide that featured the famous rattling of Margaret Thatcher by a persistent viewer asking about the sinking of the Belgrano during the Falklands War? By all accounts both she and her husband hit the roof in the green room after that. (EDIT - just checked, yes it was Nationwide)

Anyway, sorry - so, The Farm eh? etc.

Abandon all reason

• Does anyone know where to find pictures of all of the board tapes? I seem to remember someone posting them having visited the farm and showed the case that had the open drawers with all of the labelled tapes.

• Does anyone know where to find pictures of all of the board tapes? I seem to remember someone posting them having visited the farm and showed the case that had the open drawers with all of the labelled tapes.

I'll do one better and get you the video. Here ya go!

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Thanks for the upload of this video. I remember it well. It was so exciting at the time to see that the band were really serious about getting these tapes ready for some type of release. It was also cool that they published a list of what they were able to find which we have been able to reference and salivate over for 20 years. It is so unfortunate that they didn’t continue with this project. I imagine the number of cd/download sales wouldn’t have been profitable enough but it’s a shame that they really have done both at all. Now it’s unclear if they sold the rights to these and other archive material. Maybe in the over the course of the next several years this could be approached in a different way. Physical sales are probably not the solution but many bands use platforms like nug nets offer live shows for both download and subscription streaming services. Many bands do it and maybe the numbers can be profitable?

• Physical sales are probably not the solution but many bands use platforms like nug nets offer live shows for both download and subscription streaming services. Many bands do it and maybe the numbers can be profitable?

It's been talked about to death on this forum and I can only claim ignorance as to the economics of these things. I agree with you - many bands seem to be able to find a way to relay "the vault" to the more hardcore fans, be it ludicrous box sets or subscription services. As far as I understand it for Genesis, they simply don't and never have wanted this. As the material is theirs, I have no problem with it beyond my own pining to hear more.

If someone else now owns the material I suppose there's a chance they'll see some opportunity to fleece us, and if they do I'll likely be the first fleecee. But I'm not holding my as-yet-unfleeced breath.

Tbh the rehearsal Living Forever that showed up here a few weeks ago is as good or better than what I'd hope for from an archival release.