Genesis in the media

• The results of TOP 2000 have come out.

Explanatory Note: The TOP 2000 is an annual poll taken by Dutch public broadcaster station NPO Radio2 to determine the general public's all-time 2000 favourite songs, hence its nickname 'lijst der lijst' or chart of the charts. The selected ones are played from the bottom to the top non-stop for a whole week beginning on Christmas Day until the midnight of New Year's Eve. It is quite a tradition in the NL.

So these are the pertaining results:

Phil Collins: (I begin with him because a song of his has reached the highest score)

In the Air Tonight #52 (-6 from 2022)

Against All Odds (Take a Look at Me Now) #340 (-24)

Another Day in Paradise #357 (+3)

You'll Be in My Heart #540 (+25)

Can't Stop Loving You #1246 (-122)

I Wish It Would Rain Down #1328 (-172)

You Can't Hurry Love #1373 (+32)

Take Me Home #1953 (-33)

Note: Something Happened on the Way to Heaven has flopped from the chart (#1894 in 2022).

Genesis:

Mama #377 (-51)

Follow You, Follow Me #807 (-54)

Land of Confusion #838 (-24)

Jesus He Know Me #995 (-79)

Home by the Sea #1489 (-51)

Invisible Touch #1853 (-116)

No Son of Mine #1976 (-224)

Phil Collins+Phillip Bailey:

Easy Lover #902 (+18)

(Source: Radio2-NPO).

For our fellows in the Netherlands and Flanders (and all those who can get Dutch radio), I give you the time listings for some of the songs:

No Son of Mine: 25th December between 01:00-02:00

Take Me Home: 25th December between 03:00-04:00

Home by the Sea: 26th December between 16:00-17:00

I Wish It Would Rain Down: 27th December between 04:00-05:00

Jesus He Knows Me: 28th December between 07:00-08:00

Land of Confusion: 28th December between 20:00-21:00

Follow You, Follow Me: 28th December between 23:00-00:00

You'll Be in My Heart: 29th December between 22:00-23:00

Mama: 30th December between 11:00-12:00

Another Day in Paradise: 30th December between 13:00-14:00

Against All Odds: 30th December between 15:00-16:00

In the Air Tonight: 31st December between 18:00-19:00

• This is very old Genesis in the media... But I just unwrapped a bootleg, Live in Philadelphia 1983 and the booklet has a transcript of a funny radio interview they did at the time. They introduce themselves:

PC: this is Phil Collins here studying vocals and drums and studying physics and meta-chemistry

DS: this is Daryl Stuermer playing lead guitar. No matter what Mike says, I play lead guitar and bass

TB: this is Tony Banks, I play the keyboard because there is no competition in this group (laughs).

MR: this is Mike Rutherford, I do the dishes and sweep up after the show as Daryl said

CT: this is Chester Thompson, assistant drummer to Phil Collins and Mike Rutherford.

• Guy Garvey as ever reliable for a Genesis airing. On his Christmas show on BBC 6Music today he played songs with a seasonal/wintry feel, one of them being Snowbound which he announced as a family favourite and indeed dedicated to his family.

I've never much liked it and always felt it was too firmly in the twee/soppy category, the end of the Genesis spectrum I like least. As such I haven't listened to it for about 40 years. But I quite enjoyed hearing it today, mainly for the music and vocal - very much not the words.

A mere 45 years on I'm starting to fully appreciate how well PC's voice was developing at that time.

Abandon all reason

• 'Snowbound'.

I was at an IQ Christmas show and the song was blasting through the concert hall before IQ came out and i have never heard such a more fitting Christmas song. What a chorus. 'And then there were three' has always been downgraded by me for having no epics but it has a class and magic of its own.

• Came across this brief (or brief bit of an) Ultimate Guitar article featuring Steve. As soon as I saw the title about death metal and thrash metal, I wondered how quickly it would take him to mention his pioneering use of tapping. Directly from the article:

'He replied: "Because I came up with tapping so early on...' 😂

https://www.ultimate-guitar.co…ath_metal_of_the_80s.html

Oh dear. Seems EVH credits Led Zeppelin with his discovery of tapping, at least according to the article below. Has he actually been quoted crediting our Steve with it, or is this another "true sons of the Beatles" type situation?

https://www.musicradar.com/new…-figured-out-how-to-do-it

• Guy Garvey as ever reliable for a Genesis airing. On his Christmas show on BBC 6Music today he played songs with a seasonal/wintry feel, one of them being Snowbound which he announced as a family favourite and indeed dedicated to his family.

I've never much liked it and always felt it was too firmly in the twee/soppy category, the end of the Genesis spectrum I like least. As such I haven't listened to it for about 40 years. But I quite enjoyed hearing it today, mainly for the music and vocal - very much not the words.

A mere 45 years on I'm starting to fully appreciate how well PC's voice was developing at that time.

Agreed..imho phil,s best vocals around this time...its yourself and don't make waves are 2 fine examples..

• It's heartening to see the overwhelmingly positive response to i/o.

the atrociously overrated boygenius

I do generally like what I've heard though. I hadn't picked up on the overrating.

I thought the Blur one probably deserves a higher ranking, it's a terrific set of songs.

Abandon all reason

• It's heartening to see the overwhelmingly positive response to i/o.

I do generally like what I've heard though. I hadn't picked up on the overrating.

I thought the Blur one probably deserves a higher ranking, it's a terrific set of songs.

I'll give boygenius more air time. I guess I'm basing my comment on the handful of reviews that made it seem like this was music so incredibly good it was redefining what music is. Really hyperbolic, gushing stuff, and then the couple of songs I heard were fine but nothing special. Sounded like a watery version of Haim. I like Lucy Dacus' solo stuff though and will revisit the band.

• Yes. Imagine liking the famously unpopular and unsuccessful Phil Collins.

I can't believe we're still seeing stuff like this is 2024.

It's the Spectator, so I can believe it.

I'm still chuckling at I Wish's wily bit of satire there, describing the Spectator as 'highbrow'. Lovely stuff.

Abandon all reason

• I used the term 'highbrow' meaning snob.

I could also have written 'arty-farty'.

And yes, The Spectator is nothing more than a brochure by a bunch of cultural (and functional) illiterate chattering toffs who (out of an inferiority complex) despise Middle England (or all).

:cursing: