What's Your Weather Like?

• I remember my Dad, after spending some time in Germany, coming home and telling us how he laughed when seeing what they call a freeway exit..."ausfahrt." 😄

Yea. An English teacher at my old school told my about this. All the Native English speaking visitors had a good laugh at a normal everyday word. In return, I could teach you something about what Johnny Depp's last name means to every German...

About the weather, well it's still hot but the dry Eastern wind makes it bearable for once since it's less humid than usual. That's as far as the good side goes - we are having the driest summer since forever. Not a single drop of rain. Fields are yellow. Smoking and camp fires in forests have been prohibited to prevent wild fires. This is nothing like what a normal summer used to be here. Strange new climate.

• After having snow and ice in this region which usually has zero snow we now got ice rain. First time in my life I ever saw this: rain that instantly freezes everything into a layer of ice. Getting to work was an adventure, to put it nicely.

• After having snow and ice in this region which usually has zero snow we now got ice rain. First time in my life I ever saw this: rain that instantly freezes everything into a layer of ice. Getting to work was an adventure, to put it nicely.

Ice rain is the worst.

I mean, short of disasters like tornadoes and so on.

• It's raining.

It's pouring.

On a side note, re: my ice rain comment above. Walking in it reminds me of the scene in Home Alone where the lanky thief is slipping and sliding down stairs that have been oiled or greased by the kid. But with the real fear of injury added.

• Local news said 250 people were injured in my city on this Wednesday morning and they had to open a mobile treatment center since hospitals were beyond their limits. Craziest thing I have ever seen. The official warnings were not exaggerated at all but who are employers to tell their workers to stay home?

• Frightful. Felt like -21c this morning waiting for the train to work. And the decoration on my office wall that passes for a thermostat has the temperature in here several degrees below the set point.

• SNOW

It's stupid. There can't be this much snow. It's been cacking all over us for 3 days like... oh I don't know... big white stuff.

Can't stand the stuff myself. I mean, I get the appeal when everything is quiet and pristine and pretty but that wears off after two minutes. I like that the kids get to play in it but it makes absolutely everything else a pain in the ass. Public transit gets even worse, paths get slippy, it turns into unsightly grey mush. It also activates this annoying feature in people who ski whereby all of a sudden all they can talk about is skiing, and how much they like skiing, and where they like to ski, and what it was like skiing when they were kids, how their kids are learning to ski, and how their dog went skiing with them once.

• Can't stand the stuff myself. I mean, I get the appeal when everything is quiet and pristine and pretty but that wears off after two minutes.

I second that after the morning I spent today shovelling the white crap off our path, patio and guttering (it was quite a workout). It's more than a foot deep, which I'm sure will be sneered at as a piddling amount by some here but for this region it's way more than we're used to despite the assumption of many that the Scottish Highlands must surely be Snow Central - really bad weather tends to hit hardest west and especially south of here.

We're now well into the filthy slush/compacted slippery phase you mentioned.

Re skiing, as this snow is the powdery variety they must be doing cartwheels of joyful thanks at the Aviemore ski resort where they've had a tough few years of depleted snowfall. Happy to say I don't tend to encounter the ski bores you refer to.

Abandon all reason