Anyone still collecting recordings?

• I stopped many years ago, piles accumulating of bootlegs I didn't (and probably will never) listen to. I'm curious to know how many here still posses the drive to go after them. The old days of 'snail mail', shows for blanks, etc are pretty much long gone. The Yahoo Group "Genesis Trades" must be a veritable ghost town these days, if it even still exists.

• same here ... used to have plenty of recording via torrents, but I don't even know if I still have them or not. Times change ...

... did someone mention the board tapes? ;)

• Those 'tapes', unfortunately, will most likely remain where they are. And as far as rarities out in the collector's pool, those will as well stay put, I think. When I put out all those Lamb recordings and other material some 10-15 years ago, I think put the whammy on the possibility of more eking out. That wasn't my intention as I merely wanted to bring those out into the light of day but unfortunately as a consequence of what I did, everything in that regard froze.

• at the "Farm" Theres lots of 76/77 board tapes....i would like to get a few more "Lamb" OAM/SDB recordings..there a multitrack recording from the UK "lamb" tour....and the guy who copy the tapes of Milton keynes rehearsals H Odeon 82... could have the Milton Keynes show from the desk its not multitrack recording ,the show was recording in 2 C90 tapes

• Used to really enjoy trading shows many, many years ago but sadly times change. It was a great feeling to get a parcel through the door with a new show. Torrents have taken the shine off it for me. Gave most of my collection away but still have quite a number of shows.

Mark Bataitis enjoyed the Burp releases very much

“Without music, life would be a mistake”

• at the "Farm" Theres lots of 76/77 board tapes....i would like to get a few more "Lamb" OAM/SDB recordings..there a multitrack recording from the UK "lamb" tour....and the guy who copy the tapes of Milton keynes rehearsals H Odeon 82... could have the Milton Keynes show from the desk its not multitrack recording ,the show was recording in 2 C90 tapes

I remember very well the Farm run down sheet of gig boards, rehearsals (both tour and album). And there are more Lamb OAM and desk recordings 'out there'. There is also an EXTREMELY rare audience sourced show from New Castle '72. However, to my knowledge, this reside with but one individual.

• Used to really enjoy trading shows many, many years ago but sadly times change. It was a great feeling to get a parcel through the door with a new show. Torrents have taken the shine off it for me. Gave most of my collection away but still have quite a number of shows.

Mark Bataitis enjoyed the Burp releases very much

You speak my language, torrents and so forth have made it impersonal, took much of the fun out of it. I don't dispute the convenience of them but as you say, getting that jiffy bag of shows, via the post, was half the fun. And glad you liked the BURP gigs, if was fun doing the program and seeing people all over the world collecting them.

• I remember very well the Farm run down sheet of gig boards, rehearsals (both tour and album). And there are more Lamb OAM and desk recordings 'out there'. There is also an EXTREMELY rare audience sourced show from New Castle '72. However, to my knowledge, this reside with but one individual.

Hi Mark ,yes i am Luis ,hope everything is ok with you , i`m following your page about Tony Banks..in FB..thanks

• Haven’t done a snail mail trade in years but I do still collect live music and download the odd show from time to time. And live recordings still represent a fair portion of what I listen to – probably 15 to 20% of the time.

I think what keeps it desirable for me is the fact I was never stuck on collecting live recordings of just one band.

So occasionally I will see something new or something old that piques my interest, but rarely these days is it Genesis or related.

• Haven’t done a snail mail trade in years but I do still collect live music and download the odd show from time to time. And live recordings still represent a fair portion of what I listen to – probably 15 to 20% of the time.

I think what keeps it desirable for me is the fact I was never stuck on collecting live recordings of just one band.

So occasionally I will see something new or something old that piques my interest, but rarely these days is it Genesis or related.

I have a good amount of live material from other acts as well but Genesis pretty much took up most of my time. My collecting days however are and have been pretty much at an end. 5 boxes of bootlegs occupy my cellar, probably 50-60 percent of which I've never even listened to!

• I started out in snail mail and then went to torrents and my collection grew to where it sits today. With nothing new on the horizon as far as old recordings newly released, I am just thankful for what I have. Thanks Mark for being one of those who helped contribute to my collection!

• Indeed Mark, your contributions have been incredible over time. I still have a bunch of old cassette boots . Probably nothing rare though except a radio show or two, everything else I think I have is already out there. But I love when a new discovery is made.

• Do people actively trade for shows anymore? I’m looking for several that have never been torrented before, but are in The Movement’s database.

• Those 'tapes', unfortunately, will most likely remain where they are. And as far as rarities out in the collector's pool, those will as well stay put, I think. When I put out all those Lamb recordings and other material some 10-15 years ago, I think put the whammy on the possibility of more eking out. That wasn't my intention as I merely wanted to bring those out into the light of day but unfortunately as a consequence of what I did, everything in that regard froze.

Mark,

I can't thank you enough for putting these lamb shows out years ago. I can't get enough of live lamb shows and many of these sounded really good. The OAM's had a lot of ambience and sounded "live" while the soundboards very generally really balanced and clear. I suspect that these were just copied flat from the cassettes at the farm and most could be improved upon if a proper restoration was done on the master tapes? I know some like yourself did good jobs remastering different shows and it would be nice if the masters could be restored and enhanced.

Paul

• Up to March I was still occasionally recording bootlegs at my local music club...both digitally and on cassette....though not trading them any more.

I don't think I've traded a Genesis bootleg cassette since the late 90s. I didn't even bother with the Hogweed CDs. I do recall being quite amused to see a cassette I compiled myself in the early 90s containing about 40 minutes of rarely heard Genesis live tracks (eg The Light) pop up on a torrent site a few years ago.

i still listen to my bootleg cassettes though. And LPs.

• If anyone is interested, on the Movement site, version 3 of the soundboard/audience matrix of the penultimate Genesis show from the Wind And Wuthering tour is now available.

There are a few top quality bootlegs from this tour available but this show must surely rank alongside the very best of the Genesis bootlegs. Not much I can say about the recording, really; the performance speaks for itself.