What are you listening to right now?

• External Content m.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Phil Collins - Both Sides [Full Album].

• Suck it up, 'Phil.' Many great live albums have had the audience "sweetened" in the mix, including Wings Over America and Peter Gabriel Plays Live, plus just about every other live album ever produced. The only live albums I know of that were recorded straight to disc are Deep Purple Made In Japan and UFO Strangers In The Night. The ARW show was fabulous. Ask anyone who attended one of the gigs. I for one couldn't care less whether the audience was dubbed or not. Just sayin'...:rolleyes:

Geez, dude. Lighten up.

• For live recordings, I think it is a complex issue. I don't mind minor fixes and sometimes wish it were done for glaring errors. For example, on Secret World Live, Gabriel comes in too early for a section of an otherwise wonderful In Your Eyes. I wouldn't have minded if this was fixed so that the proper lyrics were sung at the proper time. It wouldn't have needed much re-recording. The part he sang could have been shifted to match the section and one line would have to be imported from another recording (or added from in studio). I know many mistakes can "make" a live performance, but this one doesn't for me.

Another fix I can live with is on The Who's Live at Hull. The bass wasn't recorded for the first few songs. However the performances were close enough to Live at Leeds (the previous night) that they could patch in the bass from that performance and do a bit of fixing to make it work. I prefer that than listening to the first few songs with no bass track.

Obviously I'm not big on a live album where much of it isn't live at all. That's fixing too much and you are no longer getting a live performance.

And there are fixes that are just plain unnecessary. The crowd noise mentioned above is one example. Live at Leeds has very little crowd noise and yet it is probably my favourite live album.

• I find this release almost unlistenable owing to the dubbed crowd noise throughout, which I gather was Rabin's doing. As a result I didn't bother getting the DVD version. Such a shame.

As a Santana fan, I can totally relate.

Santana is among my favourite artists, but I find his first live album, which is actually jointly credited as "Carlos Santana & Buddy Miles Live," to be virtually unlistenable.
    The problem I have is the same dubbed audience recording is used over and over again. The crowd volume goes up, there is frenzied cheering followed by what soon becomes a very familiar sounding whistle. The pattern repeats over and over again throughout the entire album.

I've never heard anything like that before on a live release. Completely distracting from the music.

• I also don't like 'enhancements' made to live recordings. Thin Lizzy's Live and Dangerous lost some of its appeal to me when I discovered the majority was recorded in the studio.

Eagles Live. If not 'recorded in the studio' it was overdubbed to the point where it may as well have been.

• I'm loving 'Esthesis'.

Especially the album 'The Awakening'.

All tracks are excellent especially 'No Soul to sell'.

They are fantastic musicians playing eerie jazz combined with prog. Very reminiscent of Hackett crossed with a classical grand piano.

• I also don't like 'enhancements' made to live recordings. Thin Lizzy's Live and Dangerous lost some of its appeal to me when I discovered the majority was recorded in the studio.

I love that album . Really don't mind about enhancements. It sounds great and atmospheric . A fictional film can be completely immersive and we don't care if it's not real. I think some live albums recorded raw sound great others are terrible. Same with enhanced recordings . Some good some bad. The only recordings I bothered about not being touched up are where I want to hear a particular show.

• Script for a Jester's Tear (1983) - one of the greatest debut albums. Fabulous musicianship and lyrics, crisp production, great cover. I only saw them play once, in March 1984. Fish was one of the great frontmen, my interest ended when he left.