• We have threads for sharing what films, TV shows and music we're consuming. I decided to add in this thread on podcasts as they are something I've listened to a lot more this last year or so and I've been really enjoying some, so I thought I'd mention a few and wondered if anyone here had any other suggestions.

I use Acast so all my links here are via them.

Some will already know Rockonteur from the episode featuring Mike Rutherford. Gary Kemp and Guy Pratt interview a different musician guest each episode. As they are both musicians they come at it from a practitioner's slant. (The The A to Z of Phil Collins which some of you know is also here on Acast).

The most consistently enjoyable one for me is the Adam Buxton Podcast. They're not conventional interviews as such - he calls them 'ramble chats' which is a pretty good description. I'm sure he probably has some sort of route map but he makes it sound very free-ranging and organic.

For knowledgeable stuff on film I like Mark Kermode's show. (Not to be confused with his radio show). He has actors, directors, composers as guests and sometimes teams up with film-maker Jack Howard to discuss e.g. favourite films by Spielberg, Nolan, or in genres etc.

The Two-Shot is actor Craig Parkinson ('Dot' Cottan from Line of Duty for those in the know) chatting with (usually) actors. Like Adam Buxton he has a nice relaxed free-ranging style.

Moving away from pure entertainment into general culture, The High Low is one I only discovered weeks after it ended a long run. Two writers discuss a mix of cultural stuff in an agreeable way.

One of those presenters also does a more serious show The Missing which each episode examines a different unsolved missing person case.

Also in the investigative mode, Bellingcat recounts probes into the MH17 aircrash and executions in Cameroon. Yeah I know it doesn't sound too enticing does it. But it's very compelling.

A really odd one is Atomic Hobo in which a Scottish academic picks over various aspects of nuclear war, which sounds very gloomy but it's actually really interesting and includes some fascinating details about the sorts of preparations for nuclear war local councils had to make. She also has a number of episodes examining the famous BBC drama Threads.

Articles of Interest looks at the origins and development of different items of clothing (and in one episode, perfume). Very enlightening discussion of things we take for granted. After all, young man says, you are what you wear...

Back to celeb interviews, David Tennant is very good at doing them and both his podcast series are worth a listen.

Enough for now. I hope you manage to sample some of the above and enjoy them. And don't forget to recommend any to me I haven't mentioned! I'm up for almost any subject with the possible exception of motoring. Unless you know of anyone who can actually make it interesting...

Abandon all reason

• Official Post

Have any of you guys listened to Tabletop Genesis? Maybe some people on here even know the crew from Tabletop, as they used to be on the old Genesis forum apparently. Highly entertaining and the group is very knowledgeable about the band and their history. Seem like really nice people too.

• The Tabletop Genesis podcast helped keep me sane last year through lockdown. Many long walks in the evenings were accompanied by the podcast.

The presenters are likeable, entertaining and knowledgeable, IMO. Also, I like podcasts where there are several people having a discussion, rather than one or two people having to keep it going.

At this point, the TG team have covered pretty much all of the main Genesis releases and a good few solo albums too

• I've been listening to Tabletop Genesis. I find them a mix of interesting, enjoyable and infuriating.

It's always interesting listening to fans discussing the band and there's the occasional nugget of info I didn't know, or they discuss something I did already know in an intriguing way. Sometimes their take on stuff is a bit irritating or puzzling but that's part of hearing different opinions.

One thing I can't stand is that horrible mash-up intro piece. My aversion to it is disproportionate and strange given it comprises 3 songs I love but overlaid like that it makes me cringe for some reason.

But overall it's a decent enough listen. After starting with their discussion of The Fugitive I've been going through in order of the Genesis albums from FGTR onwards (the episodes aren't in that order.) Up to Foxtrot so far.

Abandon all reason

• Just seen this discussion of podcasts. I too have listened to all of the podcasts on Tabletop Genesis and have to agree with an earlier contributor that these got me through the second UK lockdown (three months...). I had these on during my morning run/walk on the seafront in Eastbourne where we had just moved to a few months before. It was like having some friends come around to discuss all my favourite albums. I have to admit that I have listened to them several times each now and I always enjoy them. It has given me a good reason to revisit some albums I had listened to less in recent years.

If anyone is interested I can recommend two BBC podcasts. The first is the Soul Music podcast which takes a different song each week and gets people to discuss what it means to them.

Link below:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b008mj7p/episodes/player

The second is Midnight meets podcast which features several musicians. Interesting to hear some of them mention how they got their big break. A very nice one with Phil Bailey who discusses his work with Phil Collins.

Link below:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b08pm9sl/episodes/downloads

PS not sure if you can download these overseas!

• Speaking of podcasts . . . I recently finished listening to a fascinating one on the Robert Kennedy assassination case. The series is a couple of years old but gained new relevance last week given that the SOB Sirhan was just granted parole, courtesy of the idiots on the California parole board and a new district attorney who doesn’t believe in sending people from his office to parole hearings to represent the families of victims.

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/…391405921?i=1000413054092

• I've been listening to Tabletop Genesis. I find them a mix of interesting, enjoyable and infuriating.

It's always interesting listening to fans discussing the band and there's the occasional nugget of info I didn't know, or they discuss something I did already know in an intriguing way. Sometimes their take on stuff is a bit irritating or puzzling but that's part of hearing different opinions.

I've been going through in order of the Genesis albums from FGTR onwards (the episodes aren't in that order.) Up to Foxtrot so far.

After listening to the SEBTP one I'm probably going to abandon these as they've become too annoying and I'm rapidly getting fed up of it. I think I'll move on to the 2-part Lamb one and probably leave it there with the possible exception of the interview episodes. Does anyone know of any alternative Genesis podcasts?

Abandon all reason

• I found one other Genesis Podcast which I listened to and I did not enjoy the Revelation Music podcasts which inject humour which I did not find funny at all. It fell very flat. I like the Tabletop ones as they love the music as much as I do. I guess everyone reacts to things differently and it is a matter of taste.

• I found one other Genesis Podcast which I listened to and I did not enjoy the Revelation Music podcasts which inject humour which I did not find funny at all. It fell very flat. I like the Tabletop ones as they love the music as much as I do. I guess everyone reacts to things differently and it is a matter of taste.

The humorous asides on Tabletop are one of the problems for me. It does come across that they love the music for sure but their discussion style is starting to grate on my nerves. One other thing, which is unfair on them but nevertheless a fact, is that two of them have extremely annoying voices. Yes yes I know, they can't help having the voices they have and as I say it's very unfair but there it is, it's a huge drag factor for me.

Maybe I'll try Revelations just for the hell of it.

Abandon all reason