Alternative Duke cover

• From the documentary below on youtube.

Maybe you all are familiar with this, or it was already posted. If so apologies, it is all new to me. I didn't know about this different cover. The artists' stuff as the documentarian noted is similar to Gerald Scarfe's work and although cool/edgy would have been a pretty big departure for Genesis.

Also curious why it's "The Duke".

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• I've been meaning to watch this documentary for a while. There are several . I've seen the NC one . The cover of Duke was quite a departure for them . Everything about that album was.

• I'd have liked it purely on the basis it'd be so unexpected.

My favourite covers of theirs are Lamb and Abacab which happen to be probably their two least typical.

Abandon all reason

• I like it. Don't get it but like it. Is a hammer , gavel, pipe?

No idea what's going on . But it looke good.

Also I like the Gilliamesque feel of it. Kind of appropriate given Python were labelmates and 'investees'.

To answer MoonlitKnight 's earlier query, Genesis are a band I love but who I wish had gone off-piste a bit more (my favourite albums, and covers, are The Lamb and Abacab) and this would've satisfied that wish. I do understand their not going with it, but I find the finished cover a bit too twee and winsome which are qualities they sometimes had and which I dislike. Luckily the trio increasingly moved away from that.

Abandon all reason

• I'm really glad they didn't go with it, I think it's a vaguely unpleasant image. Not terrible, but I much prefer the eventual cover.

And "The Duke"? Sounds like an album about a local pub...

• Also I like the Gilliamesque feel of it. Kind of appropriate given Python were labelmates and 'investees'.

To answer MoonlitKnight 's earlier query, Genesis are a band I love but who I wish had gone off-piste a bit more (my favourite albums, and covers, are The Lamb and Abacab) and this would've satisfied that wish. I do understand their not going with it, but I find the finished cover a bit too twee and winsome which are qualities they sometimes had and which I dislike. Luckily the trio increasingly moved away from that.

It definitely has a Python vibe. For what it's worth I agree about Abacab. For me that cover along with ATOTT are my personal favorites.

• I think it's a vaguely unpleasant image.

That's what I like about it! Genesis were never very unpleasant. It's an aspect they could have explored more musically. Like the darkest bits of Mama and Tonight Tonight Tonight. And the grit of some tracks on the Lamb. Arguably they tried their hardest on CAS but the tide had gone out, and they had lost a massive creative and organisational spark in Phil.