PETER GABRIEL - I/O: The Tour 2023 (general info)

• I just took a look at the seats for Denver, where I'll be going-it looks like it's about 2/3 full as of today. I wouldn't be surprised if more of that gets filled up over the next couple months! When I saw Phil Collins there in 2019, it was a packed house.

Anyway, I wonder if Peter's setlist during the US leg of his tour will be any different then it has been? I imagine he'll still do the same new songs, but I'm thinking perhaps he might switch an older song or two, like trade out Big Time for Shock the Monkey, or Digging in the Dirt for Games w/o Frontiers or something??

Phil switched up his setlist for the US legs of his tour, to include songs that were more popular in the US (like Don't Lose My Number and You'll Be in my Heart)...

• Official Post

I wouldn't expect any changes to the setlist.

First I am not aware of any song that was in the US more popular than in Europe (maybe with the exception of In Your Eyes, which is already on the Setlist) - and then this show works in it's entirety. Why changing a working system?

Inbetween all the new songs Gabriel threw in just the real big major tracks. The ones that touches the audience for sure - and are known by really everyone.

I don't see that Shock the Monkey or Games Without Frontiers would work that way. (Even I understand that hardcore fans would love to hear them.)

• Official Post

Well - ChatGPT is not an encyclopedia but an text assembling application. Sometimes it assembles nuts. So I wouldn't count on it...

If you have a look at the diskography at wikipedia and the chart entries of the singles there you can see, that it is more complicated than the programm tells here. Sometimes songs were ranked higher in the US but for a lesser amount of weeks. How to rate that?

Don't Give Up reached Nr 72 in the States but (other that ChatGPT says) was on #9 in GB (and #27 in Germany). Steam was #32 in the States, #10 in Britain. Lovetown was running under the radar everywhere....

But coming back to topic: No 1- 4 of the list are already in the setlist. And I really doubt that Gabriel will put Steam or Lovetown on the setlist - not at least because - to quote myself - he looks for the ones that catches the audience for sure - and are known by really everyone.

• I just took a look at the seats for Denver, where I'll be going-it looks like it's about 2/3 full as of today. I wouldn't be surprised if more of that gets filled up over the next couple months! When I saw Phil Collins there in 2019, it was a packed house.

Anyway, I wonder if Peter's setlist during the US leg of his tour will be any different then it has been? I imagine he'll still do the same new songs, but I'm thinking perhaps he might switch an older song or two, like trade out Big Time for Shock the Monkey, or Digging in the Dirt for Games w/o Frontiers or something??

Phil switched up his setlist for the US legs of his tour, to include songs that were more popular in the US (like Don't Lose My Number and You'll Be in my Heart)...

Columbus OH remaining seats:

• Columbus definitely has lots of openings...hope that fills in!

As for the ChatGPT post showing songs that charted higher, I suppose it's worth noting that most of those are already ON the setlist LOL, so I guess my daughter will be able to see him do Big Time afterall! ;)

• I have checked some of the venues recently as well and I think they will start offering cheaper tickets in August. Tickets cost even more in NA (compared to Europe). I hope they will manage to sell enough tickets.

• I have checked some of the venues recently as well and I think they will start offering cheaper tickets in August. Tickets cost even more in NA (compared to Europe). I hope they will manage to sell enough tickets.

Maybe we can trade-up for better seats if that happens. I think Ticketmaster will do that 1 time if you can find tickets at the same price or higher that you want and pay the difference for.

• Hello again:

I don't know if for the American tour or i/o tour it would be possible for PETER GABRIEL to introduce in the set: BLOOD OF EDEN AND/OR COME TALK TO ME from UP (1992) as a tribute to SINEAD O CONNOR.....

What do you think, good idea?

• Hello again:

I don't know if for the American tour or i/o tour it would be possible for PETER GABRIEL to introduce in the set: BLOOD OF EDEN AND/OR COME TALK TO ME from UP (1992) as a tribute to SINEAD O CONNOR.....

What do you think, good idea?

I wouldn't be surprised if he did something like that...assuming they rehearsed those.

I've actually wondered if he wasn't already planning on having a couple different older songs for the US leg. Artists have done that in the past, including himself. Biggest example would be Phil Collins-his setlist was changing all the time back when he was on his SNDY tour.

I wouldn't mind seeing Come Talk to Me!

• Petit question (sur un petit sujet qui peut fâcher):

on sait que PG utilise en live des boucles préenregistrées (la base rythmique de In Your eyes - qui d'ailleurs me semble t-il est la même depuis 20 ans..., comme le 'In Your Eyes' de l'intro chanté soit disant par Tony Levin / sur Digging in the dirt ou Secret World). Ce n'est pas un souci quand c'est assumé et d'ailleurs ce n'est pas comme si PG était entouré de mauvais musiciens (je trouve que sur le plan musical, c'est peut-être l'une de ses meilleures tournées, où le son est aussi riche et varié, aussi raffiné - mettons de côté le New blood tour qui est un peu spécifique). Mais un truc me chiffonne sur cette tournée, sur le morceau Live and let live (que je trouve excellent-à mon avis, un futur must), dans la seconde partie, il semble bien qu'une partie du chant additionnel (certainement assurée en studio par le Soweto choir) soit diffusée et seulement complétée, mais non assurée en majorité, par les deux musiciennes et vocalistes que sont A. Witter-Johnson et Marina Moore (plus David Rhodes). Pour 'preuve' lorsque la seconde a été absente durant 2-3 concerts, on entend dans les vidéos amateur enregistrées du concert que le chant sonne exactement de manière identique.

• Official Post

Soll ich jetzt auf Deutsch antworten? Nur um die Sprachverwirrung noch zu vergrößern?

I am pretty sure that on several more occasions the background singing is filled up by recordings of the Soweto Choir. Probably Peter thinks it would be too boring without.

I was also a bit disappointed when realizing it - but its way more tolerable than Signal To Noise on the Growing Up Live Tour where the last minutes of the song were completely playback...

• c'est tout a fais normal sur signal to noise , la partie orchestrale est assure par une grosse section classique type orchestre il est donc impossible de reproduire de manière live cette chanson sur cette tournée.

peter utilise sur toute ces tourneés sauf new blood des parties musicales préenregistres pour étoffer le son global car peter utilise des dizaines de musiciens sur chaque morceau ainsi que beaucoup de traitement. Donc en live soit il passe que c'est morceau dépouilles qui ne sont pas légion soit il engage 50 musiciens pour faire chaque son mais peter n'est pas assez rentable pour demander pareille chose.

• Official Post

...or he plays the song with the personnel he has on stage...

Seriously, sometimes Peter is a bit too fixated on making a song sound exactly like it does on the album. I don't think that's necessary - but of course you have to come up with new solutions to replace a missing orchestra or an absent Nusrat. It is possible.

• Ce n'était pas une critique en soi (il n'est pas le seul à le faire) et ce sont des sons additionnels (encore une fois, il y a tellement de talent musical sur scène que ce ne sont pas ces ajouts qui créent le son Gabriel sur scène).

Et je pense vraiment que sur le plan purement musical (et c'est évidemment dû au choix d'avoir un violon, un violoncelle, deux claviers voire 3 avec Josh shpak, un musicien polyvalent avec R. Evans, plusieurs voix) cette tournée est à mon avis l'une, sinon la meilleure qu'il ait faite.

• Autre question: clairement, il n'y a pas eu de captation video d'une des concerts européen. Mais le trailer de la tournée nord-américaine offre des images de la tournée très léchées et diverses. Evidemment, il y a avait des caméras à chaque concert pour produire les images sur les écrans du show mais celles du trailer paraissent très soignées.

• Official Post

A new trailer for the North American dates has appeared

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.