9. 07 points - satisfactory - (0) 0%
    10. 06 points - sufficient + (0) 0%
    11. 05 points - sufficient (0) 0%
    12. 04 points - sufficient - (0) 0%
    13. 03 points - poor + (0) 0%
    14. 02 points - poor (0) 0%
    15. 01 points - poor - (1) 5%
    16. 00 points - abysmal (0) 0%

We invite you to share interesting facts and tidbits about this track. Let's look at the track in the context of the band's / the artist's history, at the music, the songwriting and all other aspects that are relevant for this track. Please do stick to the discussion of the track above. Comparisons to other tracks are okay, but remember that the other track you may be keen to talk about has or will have its own Track Of The Week thread. If you spot a mistake or if you can close a gap in the fact sheet above please feel free to contact martinus or Christian about it; we will gladly add and improve!

PETER GABRIEL - Family Snapshot
    Year: 1980
    Album: Peter Gabriel III
    Working title:
    Credits: Gabriel
    Lyrics: Yes
    Length: 4:28
    Musicians: Peter Gabriel, David Rhodes, Dave Gregory, John Giblin, Jerry Marotta, Phil Collins, Dick Morrissey
    Played live: 1980, 1982, 1986, 1987, 1993, 1994, 2000, 2007, 2009, 2012, 2013, 2014
    Cover versions:

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.
    ]

Notes: There is really nothing to add to the comments from our review: In one of Peter Gabriel's few plot-oriented songs, the story of a political assassination is told. The lyrics are based on the book An Assassin's Diary by the near-assassin Arthur Bremer, who shot down Alabama Governor George C. Wallace (Democrat) in a shopping mall in 1972, but without killing Wallace. The song lyrics also contain elements that could be interpreted as parallels to the assassination attempt on John F. Kennedy. The song builds from a quiet vocal part accompanied only by piano to a driving rock rhythm, in which the eerily harmonious saxophone plays a strong part, until the firing of the shot ("and I let the bullet fly...") leads into the introspective final part, which gives us an insight into the assassin's mental life and his obviously problematic childhood. At the end, it is hard to believe that this variety of mood and this skilfully constructed drama only lasts four and a half minutes. So once again a highly dramatic song that was to be part of the fixed live repertoire for years to come. For the piano sound, Peter Gabriel used a Yamaha CP-70 electric piano for the first time, which his ex-Genesis colleague Tony Banks already liked so much and which, with its characteristic sound, was to take a central place in Gabriel's keyboard setup in the future. The skilful use of various synthesiser sounds to slowly increase the mood also points to Gabriel's growing familiarity with the means of music technology. Should you have any additions, they are of course always welcome. Just like your opinion about this song.

cheers

Christian

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Follow us on Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | BlueSky

Deutsch? Check our German Website

Check out our brand new WhatsApp Channel!

• A great song, bristling with ideas and building up wonderful momentum. Very evocative, poignant lyrics I always took to be about JFK and Oswald - I didn't know about the other governor story. The turn at the end to the assassin's broken childhood is gently devastating. I think it's Gabriel at his emotional, innovative, effective best.

• This has always been one of my favourites. The narrative is gripping and intense, with a switch to poignancy at the end. The music is also really interesting. Instead a traditional verse-chorus structure, there are just different musical sections: first a quiet intro, then a driving verse-like section that starts in Gm that is paired with an ascending half-time section that is not clearly a chorus, those sections repeat again, and then a coda that is musically different from everything that went before. Throughout all that is a great vocal that combines threat, twisted ambition, and pain.

• The words and the story tie in so well with the music: the heart-pumping build-up of adrenaline, the shot, a return to calm and a reminiscence of a sad childhood, ending with a hint of what was taking root in the mind of a future assassin.

When I listen to this song, it plays like a movie in my head.

For me, this is one of the finest and most impactful songs Peter Gabriel ever recorded.

• Superb song. I've read Arthur Bremmer's diary. It's sad and creepy, and I can definitely see the parallels with the character's upbringing and mental state in the song. The actual assassination scene in the song mirrors more the JFK shooting, with the president riding in an open limousine.

• 14 pts

It also was a great moment during the Back to Front concert, when all the lights were switched off and the stage lighting finally appeared. One of his best.

• 15/15 pts

no other choice. It's in my PG all-time top 5. The whole album is stunning.

he actual assassination scene in the song mirrors more the JFK shooting, with the president riding in an open limousine.

I know that story as well but did Peter ever confirm it's about JFK?

... make tomorrow today!

• 15/15 pts

no other choice. It's in my PG all-time top 5. The whole album is stunning.

I know that story as well but did Peter ever confirm it's about JFK?

Can't say for sure that it's about JFK. There are some actual differences between the JFK assassination and the song. For example, JFK was sitting not standing, and the governor of Texas was riding in the same car (not behind in a different car). It could be PG taking a little artistic license in describing an actual event.

• From Christian's intro at the top of this thread 👆

The lyrics are based on the book An Assassin's Diary by the near-assassin Arthur Bremer, who shot down Alabama Governor George C. Wallace (Democrat) in a shopping mall in 1972, but without killing Wallace. The song lyrics also contain elements that could be interpreted as parallels to the assassination attempt on John F. Kennedy.

Abandon all reason

• From Christian's intro at the top of this thread 👆

The lyrics are based on the book An Assassin's Diary by the near-assassin Arthur Bremer, who shot down Alabama Governor George C. Wallace (Democrat) in a shopping mall in 1972, but without killing Wallace. The song lyrics also contain elements that could be interpreted as parallels to the assassination attempt on John F. Kennedy.

Yes, pretty much what I thought. As I mentioned in a previous post I've read Bremmer's diary (creepy stuff). From what I've read as well about his childhood background it sounds like he was a sad and depressed youngster. And the lyrics definitely contain parallels to JFK's murder.