TotW 04/24/2023 - 04/30/2023: MIKE + THE MECHANICS - A Beggar On A Beach Of Gold

• Official Post

Your rating for "A Beggar On A Beach Of Gold" by MIKE + THE MECHANICS 14

1. 15 points - outstanding (2) 14%
    2. 14 points - very good (2) 14%
    3. 13 points - very good - (2) 14%
    4. 12 points - good + (2) 14%
    5. 11 points - good (3) 21%
    6. 10 points - good - (0) 0%
    7. 09 points - satisfactory + (0) 0%
    8. 08 points - satisfactory (1) 7%
    9. 07 points - satisfactory - (0) 0%
    10. 06 points - sufficient + (2) 14%
    11. 05 points - sufficient (0) 0%
    12. 04 points - sufficient - (0) 0%
    13. 03 points - poor + (0) 0%
    14. 02 points - poor (0) 0%
    15. 01 points - poor - (0) 0%
    16. 00 points - abysmal (0) 0%

We invite you to share interesting facts and tidbits about this track. Let's look at the track in the context of the band's / the artist's history, at the music, the songwriting and all other aspects that are relevant for this track. Please do stick to the discussion of the track above. Comparisons to other tracks are okay, but remember that the other track you may be keen to talk about has or will have its own Track Of The Week thread. If you spot a mistake or if you can close a gap in the fact sheet above please feel free to contact martinus or Christian about it; we will gladly add and improve!

MIKE + THE MECHANICS - A Beggar On A Beach Of Gold
    Year: 1995
    Album: Beggar On A Beach Of Gold
    Working title: ?
    Credits: Robertson/Rutherford
    Lyrics: Yes
    Length: 4:35
    Musicians: Paul Young, Mike Rutherford, Adrian Lee, Peter van Hooke, Adrian Lee (?)
    Played live: 1995, 1996, 1999, 2004, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019
    Cover versions:

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Notes: For many, the 1995 Beggar album is the zenith of the Mechanics. The album was well received by most fans and even prog fans from the Genesis camp have acknowledged that this album is nobly done. The title track sets the tone: Excellent songwriting, even more excellently staged.
  • Does nothing for me I’m afraid. Well written and performed and all that and would settle well into any Radio Two daytime slot ( though that is changing now) alongside the Corrs etc. but not one I own or would ever choose to play.

Good luck to Mike with this sort of thing but I lost interest after Smallcreeps

• It's a solid pop song but for me that's about it. It also has the tepid vibe that I associate with 99% of the mechanics that I have heard, and which has always dissuaded me from digging much deeper. It's a fatal quality, worse than if a song is actively bad in which case it at least holds some fascination. It's like when food is bland. I liked Another Cup of Coffee, and there were one or two good songs on the debut, Silent Running and an off-kilter short song which I think was Par Avion.

Can't say much more about BoaBoG (woah!) than that I'm afraid. 11, being generous. More like 8 or 9 but it is well done as these things go, it's just not a thing that excites me very much, or at all.

• It has the tepid vibe that I associate with 99% of the mechanics that I have heard, and which has always dissuaded me from digging much deeper. It's a fatal quality, worse than if a song is actively bad in which case it at least holds some fascination.

This is as accurate a summation of my general feeling about M&tM as I could give myself. I don't think I've thought anything of theirs was particularly bad, nor has any of it ever sparked very much interest or excitement. To pick up your 'bland food' analogy, yes they're like a shop-bought cheese sandwich where the bread is pre-packed sliced, the cheese mild and could be more flavourful, it could use some pickle or something to make it a bit zingier but you needed something convenient for lunch and it did the job in a basic way. Then you almost immediately forget about it while thinking "Ah man I should've got some crisps."

Most of what I've heard of theirs has that transient quality, like breath on glass that quickly fades. In fact I'm not even sure I can remember Beggar so will need to remind myself of it.

Abandon all reason

• Official Post

It's a wonderful pop song and worth 12 points for me. I also like Tim Howar's voice on that one.

• That's one of my favorites by the Mechanics. A very straight, but still kind of unique songwriting and arrangement. It works like as well. A great album as well!

14pts

... make tomorrow today!

• I bought the album about the time it came out. Since A Beggar On A Beach Of Gold is the opening track, you get a synth-heavy song right away. I remember some of the interviews around that time, and they said some of the synth parts were done by MR himself.

Can anyone elaborate? If I remember correctly, the synth parts were done either with a guitar synth or programming with a sampled guitar.