PETER GABRIEL - i/o - Album tracklist discussion

• Am I the only person that thinks that the sequence of the songs released might be the i/o tracklist order, e.g. track 1 will be Panopticom, track 2 will be The Court…?

I think that could be se same of the Tour Programme, but I don't know if it's different from the release order.

• In the web page that I indicate you TONY LEVIN affirms that he has worked with Peter Gabriel in 16 songs (for i/o ?¿?)

https://forward.com/culture/53…-john-lennon-david-bowie/

Yeah, that number pretty much corresponds to the number of songs we now know of to be in consideration for the i/o project:

1. Panopticom
    2. The Court
    3. Playing for Time
    4. i/o
    5. Four Kinds of Horses
    6. Road to Joy
    7. So Much
    8. Olive Tree
    9. This Is Home
    10. Love Can Heal
    11. And Still
    12. What Lies Ahead
    13. Path of Fortune
    14. Live and Let Live
    15. Put the Bucket Down
    16. Show Yourself

How many of these will be on the actual album is anyone's guess, though. But as long as he puts those songs out there during future full moons, I don't mind whether they're on the album or not.

• Official Post

Yeah, that number pretty much corresponds to the number of songs we now know of to be in consideration for the i/o project:

1. Panopticom
    2. The Court
    3. Playing for Time
    4. i/o
    5. Four Kinds of Horses
    6. Road to Joy
    7. So Much
    8. Olive Tree
    9. This Is Home
    10. Love Can Heal
    11. And Still
    12. What Lies Ahead
    13. Path of Fortune
    14. Live and Let Live
    15. Put the Bucket Down
    16. Show Yourself

How many of these will be on the actual album is anyone's guess, though. But as long as he puts those songs out there during future full moons, I don't mind whether they're on the album or not.

I doubt Path of Fortune exists. I have never found any evidence this is a song on its own. Maybe it's the working title of Road to Joy?

Am I the only person that thinks that the sequence of the songs released might be the i/o tracklist order, e.g. track 1 will be Panopticom, track 2 will be The Court…?

Interesting thought, But So Much will most certainly be on the album, so that logic doesn't work 100%

• I doubt Path of Fortune exists. I have never found any evidence this is a song on its own. Maybe it's the working title of Road to Joy?

There was a brief glimpse of sheet music for a song called Path of Fortune in the March Full Moon video, where they also show the contrabass sheet music for the Playing for Time recording sessions.

(More tangentially, I would’ve expected PG to mention the working title when he introduced Road to Joy, since he did mention Pukka, too.)

Of course, could be just a working title for Road to Joy. Both Playing for Time and Road to Joy were conducted by Metcalfe (not that this proves anything either way), so they could have been part of the same recording session and PG just might have changed the name to Road to Joy when the lyrics and the refrain in particular became clearer.

• Personally feel it would be strange to have two songs with more or less the same title meaning on the one album. Road = Path (definitely the same). Joy = Fortune (perhaps abit indirectly related, but still very similar).

Then again, Phil Collins released an album with both "I Don't Care Anymore," and "It Don't Matter To Me" on it, so I suppose anything is possible LOL!!

• Would be quite logical to assume that Path Of Fortune might have been a working title for Road To Joy. Especially because final lyrics came ver late after the band recordings. We will find out …

• I had a chat the other day with a friend who’s also a fan … perhaps not only the tracklist is not yet finalized. Maybe he will also create final album mixes. I cannot imagine a mixture of dark side and bright side mixes will end up on the album.
    Thoughts?

• Personally what I think is that I prefer a CD that is not a double CD with Bright and Dark versions, as I think it would be too heavy.

I'd go for a cd i/o with 12 or 16 songs, which will sound great from what we've heard in their live shows. I think it could be a "good album" in lyrics/music.

As for dates, I don't know what to say. On the one hand September release i/o / October 2023, better than April 2024...

Now I'm thinking about the 2 tracks of i/o that will appear in August!

• Official Post

I presume we will get an album with all the versions that were released first (on the full moon) - on my opinion these are "Peter's choice" versions. And beside that a double album with all mixes.

How many tracks? - That depends on what else Gabriel has in mind. Publish more after that? An o/i EP? Then i/o will have fewer tracks. Maybe only 10. - If it remains one album for now, it could contain all 12 or 13 tracks from 2023.

When will it be released? I presume in the beginning of 2024. I see no reason for doing it earlier.

• or 4LP, when Bright and Dark-Side mixes are both included.

I am really grateful I stopped collecting vinyl ^^

I actually just started myself about 18 months ago...I'm enjoying the journey. But I will say that sometimes I do get annoyed at 'double disc' sets, as they only have two or three songs per side...lots of flipping!

• It’s interesting that, so far, the songs have been released in tracklist order, with the exception of ‘Playing for Time’ and ‘The Court’, which maybe suggests that it was a late decision to swap these around? I read somewhere that there’s going to be a video for ‘Love Can Heal’, so I’m now thinking this will be the final track to be released — and could function as the ‘lead single’ for i/o.

• Official Post

I don't know where this rumour comes from, the tracklist order would be almost liek the release order on the full moons. There are several differences - all markes tracks were released at a different order position:

01 Panopticom
    02 Playing For Time
    03 The Court
    04 Four Kinds Of Horses
    05 i/o
    06 Love Can Heal
    07 Road To Joy
    08 So Much
    09 Olive Tree

10 This Is Home
    11 And Still
    12 Live And Let Live

The only thing, that is true is that in the first half of the year, songs from the first half of the album were released.

• I'm sure that is indeed the full list as we will see i/o finally released...

However, I personally believe the tracklist ORDER is still up for consideration. The order in which the songs were played that night may not necessarily be the same order we see on CD, streaming or especially even on vinyl. There are several other examples of artists (including PG) of the tracklist order being different from one media to another, for whatever reasons.

• I have a strong feeling that the song we will see released next will be Love Can Heal.

Given the pattern they've been following so far, any other option would be very much a deviation from what they've been doing, as it compares to the WOMAD performance and everything else.