PETER GABRIEL - So Much - Track discussion

• Official Post

3 July 2023 - So Much

Dark Side Mix first

• Great news — I’ve been waiting for this one. May I ask how you know this so early? Is the Full Moon video up already, as I can’t see it…? 🙃

It's already July 3rd in some places in the world, so the song has already started to be made available in those places. Every release ends up being made available first in New Zealand, that's why we end up knowing or songs end up "leaking" a day before, but in fact it's not a leak, it's already available out there, and once it's on the internet, it can belong to anyone.

• DARK-SIDE MIX: 2023.07.03

BRIGHT-SIDE MIX: 2023.07.17

CREDITS

Artwork: "Somewhere Over Mercia" by Henry Hudson

Words and Music by Peter Gabriel

Engineering by Oli Jacobs, Katie May

Assistant engineering by Faye Dolle, Dom Shaw

Orchestral engineering by Lewis Jones

Orchestral assistant engineering by Tom Coath, Luie Stylianou

Pre-production enginneering by Richard Chappell

Produced by Peter Gabriel

Mastered by Matt Colton at Metropolis

Recorded at Real World Studios, Bath, The Beehive, London , British Grove, London

Bass: Tony Levin

Electric Guitar, 12 String Guitar: David Rhodes

Piano & Synths: Peter Gabriel

BVs: Peter Gabriel, Melanie Gabriel

LVs: Peter Gabriel

Orchestral Arrangement: John Metcalfe with Peter Gabriel

Violin: Everton Nelson, Ian Humphries, Louisa Fuller, Charles Mutter, Cathy Thompson, Natalia Bonner, Richard George, Marianne Haynes, Martin Burgess, Clare Hayes, Debbie Widdup, Odile Ollagnon

Viola: Bruce White, Fiona Bonds, Peter Lale, Rachel Roberts

Cello: Ian Burdge, Chris Worsey, Caroline Dale, William Schofield, Tony Woollard, Chris Allan

Double bass: Chris Laurence, Stacy Watton, Lucy Shaw

French Horn: David Pyatt, Richard Bissil

Trumpet: Andrew Crowley

Euphonium: Andy Wood

Tenor Trombone: Tracey Holloway

Bass: Trombone Richard Henry

Tuba: David Powell

Orchestra Conductor: John Metcalfe

Orchestra Leader: Everton Nelson

Sheet Music Supervisor: Dave Foster

Orchestra Contractor: Lucy Whalley and Susie Gillis for Isobel Griffiths Ltd

• It's already July 3rd in some places in the world, so the song has already started to be made available in those places. Every release ends up being made available first in New Zealand, that's why we end up knowing or songs end up "leaking" a day before, but in fact it's not a leak, it's already available out there, and once it's on the internet, it can belong to anyone.

Thank you; that makes perfect sense 🙏 I just thought I was missing out on something haha. Not much longer to wait…

• Official Post

Usually Bandcamp takes a bit longer. The average release time is midnight in Seattle, so depending where you live it’s tomorrow in the morning or during the day.

• and once it's on the internet, it can belong to anyone.

Subject to territorial restrictions put on by the host, allowing IP addresses in other countries etc (ie/ BBC iplayer and Youtube videos not available everywhere, for copyright reasons.)

Ian

Putting the old-fashioned Staffordshire plate in the dishwasher!

• Official Post

What happened to you last month? And the month before that...?

silent sorrow in empty boats perhaps?

• Official Post

This is the full moon video

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Official Post
  • It’s a beautiful track. I was initially surprised at just how understated the production is — the orchestra, for example, is barely audible, putting Peter’s vocal very much front and centre. I guess that was the idea though. It’s sad to hear that Peter has had health issues as well (I knew his wife had). This has obviously fed into So Much, along with Playing For Time and Love Can Heal. They’re very personal tracks. I’m guessing that as Tchad Blake stated this is the best thing Peter has done, the Dark-Side Mix is likely to be the one that makes it onto the i/o album.

• Official Post

It’s a beautiful track. I was initially surprised at just how understated the production is — the orchestra, for example, is barely audible, putting Peter’s vocal very much front and centre. I guess that was the idea though. It’s sad to hear that Peter has had health issues as well (I knew his wife had). This has obviously fed into So Much, along with Playing For Time and Love Can Heal. They’re very personal tracks. I’m guessing that as Tchad Blake stated this is the best thing Peter has done, the Dark-Side Mix is likely to be the one that makes it onto the i/o album.

Peter publically revealed his health issues at the concert in Frankfurt, where three top doctors / scientists were present who helped him when he was "seriously ill".