Spoken lyrics in Genesis songs

• It just occurred to me that Peter's spoken intro/outro in I Know What I Like is one of the rare spoken lyrics in a Genesis song:

"It's one o'clock and time for lunch" etc.

What other spoken lyrics did they have? From the top of my head these come to mind:

"Ok boys, fire over their heads" - John Anthony in The Knife

"They're gonna change you into a human being!" - Phil chattering in Willow Farm

"The soil! The soil!" - the whole band also in Willow Farm

"Understand Rael, this is the end of your tail!" - Phil in Colony of Slippermen

some of Peter's lyrics in Broadway Melody of 1974 are spoken too

and of course: "A flower?"

I can't seem to find any spoken lyric lines in later songs unless Phil's laughing in Mama qualifies. What did I miss?

Some other bands use spoken lyrics a lot more often. I'm not sure though why Spinal Tap's 'Stonehenge' is the first that comes to my mind...

• How do we know the relevant bits there are JA and PC? I'm mildly astonished the 'human being' and 'doktor' ones are him.

I don't think some of this and other stuff in the thread so far straightforwardly qualifies as spoken word. It's not full-on singing but it's not plain spoken either. The Mama laugh definitely doesn't count. The most obvious one is IKWIL, the other examples aren't in the same vein.

The muttered "This is it, Rael" in Counting Out Time would seem a candidate, likewise "bubbity bum" or whatever it is after the Slippermen intro. Perhaps also the Slipperman's lines? The "Evel Knievel" line and "here I go" in Riding The Scree?

Abandon all reason

Is it him ? For years, I've been wondering whose voice it is...

EDIT : Actually, I've just come up with a theory about those high-pitched voices (and the "Mum to mud to mad to Dad" segment). They may have recorded these with their real voice but with the instrumental tape playing at a lower speed, so the overall pitch also gets down. Then, after the recording, they put the tape back at normal speed > Chipmunk effect done. So, it could be Phil. Or Peter. Or Tony. Or Mike. Who knows ?

And the line just before is also spoken : "Fly away you sweet little thing they're hard on your tail..."

(Is that right ? I'm French, I consider myself quite good in English, but still... What does it mean ?).

• The voices are definitely varispeeded. It's most likely PG, possibly some PC too.

It's either 'hot on your tail', which would be the standard english expression, or as you suggested 'hard...' It means "they're after you/chasing you" and are close behind.

Abandon all reason

"Understand Rael, this is the end of your tail!" - Phil in Colony of Slippermen

The first one would most likely be Pete, and the second one would definitely be him. Phil did the "human being" (and "fly away") bits in live performances, though.

Actually, I've just come up with a theory about those high-pitched voices (and the "Mum to mud to mad to Dad" segment). They may have recorded these with their real voice but with the instrumental tape playing at a lower speed, so the overall pitch also gets down. Then, after the recording, they put the tape back at normal speed > Chipmunk effect done.

No theory needed. That's exactly what would have been done.

One could also make a topic about slowed-down or sped-up voices in Genesis songs. Example: "Let the dance begin" in "Dance on a Volcano" is slowed down.

"Cause You Know We like It" at the end of Another Record.

That's not spoken. It's just sung in an unusually low voice for Phil.

Little known fact: Before the crowbar was invented...

...crows simply drank at home.

Edited once, last by DecomposingMan ().

• The "It is my sad duty to inform you" bit is interesting, in the album version Peter does sing it but in live versions he spoke it.

Turn it on again has that "one two three four" part in the intro.

Peter seems to have been more partial to switch into speaking while singing, Phil didn't do this too often. Those parts in Robbery, Assault and Battery appear to me as if Phil was trying to imitate Peter.

• The "It is my sad duty to inform you" bit is interesting, in the album version Peter does sing it but in live versions he spoke it.

Turn it on again has that "one two three four" part in the intro.

Peter seems to have been more partial to switch into speaking while singing, Phil didn't do this too often. Those parts in Robbery, Assault and Battery appear to me as if Phil was trying to imitate Peter.

The "It is my sad duty to inform you" bit is interesting, in the album version Peter does sing it but in live versions he spoke it.

In fact I knew the Genesis Live version and not the Foxtrot version.

However imho the Foxtrot version is not sung but has a "surround" effect. :/