FORUM update today / tomorrow

• The dislike button, on YT at least, was removed because videos pushing erroneous narratives and views were being heavily ratio'd with down votes. Suffice to say, this happened to mostly those pushing mainstream, official narratives and it didn't look good, so their friends in silicon valley took action. The up and down votes system was a good idea and was basically meritocratic, which doesn't really fit in with todays world sadly.

• His received likes could be clearly quantified, but the dislikes were just seemingly endless rantings by too many people to count. If ther'd been dislikes, we, and he, could have seen exactly how popular or not his views were

But the thing is that we have come to a point where I don't think any of these likes/dislikes is about expression of any opinion at all. To me, it's often a pure reaction, with barely an analysis of what's being said, but rather about what others may think of it (and we have a tendency to follow them, not to appear as a black sheep : "Everyone dislikes it, so I should dislike it too", or the contrary..).

Not very interesting...

• But the thing is that we have come to a point where I don't think any of these likes/dislikes is about expression of any opinion at all. To me, it's often a pure reaction, with barely an analysis of what's being said, but rather about what others may think of it (and we have a tendency to follow them, not to appear as a black sheep : "Everyone dislikes it, so I should dislike it too", or the contrary..).

Not very interesting...

Disliking a video on YT was anonymous I think, so I can't see how social pressure came into it. I liked a video if it was good, I disliked a video if it was bad, or I did neither if I was indifferent.

• Disliking a video on YT was anonymous I think, so I can't see how social pressure came into it. I liked a video if it was good, I disliked a video if it was bad, or I did neither if I was indifferent.

That's fair enough on youtube, I get that. Not sure about a site like this though, where there's a different sort of direct discursive interaction between members. I prefer to not have the option to do a simple unadorned thumbs-down dislike and leave it at that. It feels like it's against the spirit of the board's conversational nature.

Abandon all reason

• My own tuppence worth... There's an Irish news website, the journal.ie that used to have a thumbs up and thumbs down feature. I thought it was great, and a given comment on an article might be net-positive or net-negative, which would give a good sense of what the crowd thought so to speak. The up vote/downvote was anonymous so there was no pressure at all, so it felt like each comments' judgement was truly merit-based. They got rid of it, and the comments section has since been infested by right wing bots (not because the option to down vote went away). I really disliked when they got rid of it though. Therefore I think on a platform like Twitter, a downvote option would probably be useful.

However, for a forum like this I don't think it would be. I think it would disincentivize people to venture forth an opinion if they thought it would be unpopular. It keeps things positive and constructive to have an option to give someone a thumbs up or a smile if you agree/like, or to engage with them in discussion if you don't. I think a band forum is different than Trump spewing some vile shit on Twitter or truth social or whatever, which should absolutely be open to being simply downvoted.

Sorry, that may have been slightly more than tuppence.

• For the most part, I do not use any like/dislike options. I think when I started on music forums long ago, I was mainly interested in the discussion. I don't even remember if there was a like/dislike option 20 years ago. So I am very old school in my participation, responding further if I have something to add to a discussion (which might include agreement, disagreement, or something in the middle). I don't participate in discussions on major social media platforms, so I never got in the habit of like/dislike options in the past decade.

That said, I don't have an issue with people wanting to use these options. I just feel they are imprecise. Often I am in partial agreement or disagreement with a previous post, so a simply binary answer wouldn't be very accurate for me.

• Am I right in thinking that the film, tv, and RIP threads (all coincidentally started by Noni ) have vanished since the board update?

no, they are all here

The Forum of the Last Resort - Turn It On Again - A Genesis Forum (genesis-news.com)

cheers

Christian

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Follow us on Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | BlueSky

Deutsch? Check our German Website

Check out our brand new WhatsApp Channel!

• I'm not seeing them there. I looked back through my own posts and saw ones I'd contributed to all 3. I just added a new post to the movies thread, and it's still not showing up in the Last Resort forum when I visit it. Those three threads are invisible to me - I definitely haven't blocked them. Very odd.

EDIT - and on the front page of the whole forum and the VIP Tent, I can see the flag for the Movies post I added, but going into the Last Resort itself those specific threads remain invisible. Even odder.

I logged out - could see it - logged back in - gone.

EDIT 2 - ah, never mind, solved it.

Abandon all reason

Edited once, last by Backdrifter ().