Two (or maybe more) band members making album outside the band

• I was listening to the Lindsey Buckingham/Christine McVie album the other day (and mighty fine it is too!) and it got me thinking. There aren't many albums where parts of bands have worked together. True, Mick Fleetwood and John McVie are on the album I mention, but it's pretty much just as session men, like Phil and Mike on Voyage Of T'Acolyte (Yorkshire version ^^ ).

I can only think of one other example, Blue Jays, Justin Hayward and John Lodge outside the Moody Blues. (And Buckingham/Nicks doesn't count, they hadn't joined Fleetwood Mac yet). I guess we'd all like to have seen something similar in Genesis, like Steve and Tony together in my case, I guess it's not too late..........

Ian

Putting the old-fashioned Staffordshire plate in the dishwasher!

• Duran Duran spawned the Power Station (John Taylor and Andy Taylor) and Arcadia (Simon Le Bon and Nick Rhodes).

Most of the other examples I can think of occurred after the main band split up, so I don't that really counts (e.g., Page and Plant).

• Talking Heads spawned Tom Tom Club (Tina Weymouth & Chris Frantz).

Grace Slick made an album with one other member of Jefferson Starship, and another with two other members.

Little known fact: Before the crowbar was invented...

...crows simply drank at home.

• Neil & Tim Finn were in Crowded House together for one album but they made a couple of albums as a duo. I'm not sure that counts.

However, Peter Garrett from Midnight Oil has a new band called the Alter Egos, which includes his Oils guitarist Martin Rotsey. I'm not entirely sure if the Oils have split for good as yet.

What about whichever combination of Yes you might want to call a separate band. What was it... Anderson Bruford Wakeman Howe?

Oh, and I suppose you can count Mark Knopfler & Guy Fletcher in the Notting Hillbillies.

• The Duran Duran ones I had forgotten, good call. Weren't Tom Tom Club due to Talking Heads exploding from band member clashes?

Anderson Wakeman Bruford Howe were called that because Chris Squire had the rights to the band name Yes, owing to never having left, Certainly counts, though.

Ian

• Blue October (Harvard of the South, two/three members.)

Thompson Twins (Babble, two out of three members.)

XTC (The Dukes of Stratosphear, if that counts...)

Tortoise (Isotope 217, at least two members.)

Soul Asylum (Golden Smog, two members)

REM (Hindu Love Gods, again if it counts...)

System of a Down (Scars on Broadway, two members.)

Dream Theater (Sons of Apollo, Liquid Tension Experiment two/three members)

• There a Radiohead spinoff band on the go, with Thom Yorke and the guitarist. The band's name might be Smile or something? Getting very good reviews, checking them out is on my infinite to-do list.

Edit: i just remembered Billy Corgan and Jimmy Chamberlain of the Smashing Pumpkins formed a supergroup called Zwan, which released one very good album before imploding in the standard fashion.

Edit 2: and Brett Anderson/Bernard Butler of Suede reunited for one album as a different band, The Tears.

• There a Radiohead spinoff band on the go, with Thom Yorke and the guitarist. The band's name might be Smile or something? Getting very good reviews, checking them out is on my infinite to-do list.

Edit: i just remembered Billy Corgan and Jimmy Chamberlain of the Smashing Pumpkins formed a supergroup called Zwan, which released one very good album before imploding in the standard fashion.

Edit 2: and Brett Anderson/Bernard Butler of Suede reunited for one album as a different band, The Tears.

Smile? Interesting choice of name, Brian May/Roger Taylor's band before Queen! ;)

Ian

• Dave Cousins, Dave Lambert and Brian Willoughby of the Strawbs released an album in 2001 entitled Baroque & Roll, largely comprised of acoustic versions of previously released Strawbs songs. They called themselves Acoustic Strawbs and periodically toured under that name, with Willoughby sometimes being replaced by Chas Cronk (who like Willoughby was an on-again, off-again member of the Strawbs).

Cousins and Willoughby also released a pair of albums as a duo. The first one was released before Willoughby had ever played on a Strawbs album, but the second one was released some years after.

And then Cousins and Rick Wakeman released a studio album together in 2002 entitled Hummingbird, though Wakeman, a former band member, was obviously long-gone from the Strawbs when that album came out.

• Dave Cousins, Dave Lambert and Brian Willoughby of the Strawbs released an album in 2001 entitled Baroque & Roll, largely comprised of acoustic versions of previously released Strawbs songs. They called themselves Acoustic Strawbs and periodically toured under that name, with Willoughby sometimes being replaced by Chas Cronk (who like Willoughby was an on-again, off-again member of the Strawbs).

Cousins and Willoughby also released a pair of albums as a duo. The first one was released before Willoughby had ever played on a Strawbs album, but the second one was released some years after.

And then Cousins and Rick Wakeman released a studio album together in 2002 entitled Hummingbird, though Wakeman, a former band member, was obviously long-gone from the Strawbs when that album came out.

And though they were no longer in Strawbs, Hudson-Ford were ex-members who became one of my favourite bands back in the 70's. Wakeman was on their first album too. I guess you know Chas Cronk was briefly Steve Hackett's bass player.

Ian

• ... I guess you know Chas Cronk was briefly Steve Hackett's bass player.

Yes, And if anyone had asked me before I checked moments ago, who was the bass player I saw playing with Steve on the Defector tour, I would have incorrectly stated it was Chas Cronk.

• Toto band members, Steve Lukather, David Paich, Jeff Porcaro, Steve Porcaro listed in the album Thriller by Michael Jackson. :/

I'd argue that's just being session musicians, much like the Eagles were, for Linda Ronstadt, and likely others.

Ian

• I'd argue that's just being session musicians, much like the Eagles were, for Linda Ronstadt, and likely others.

You could start a separate topic for 'band members as session musos' e.g. all the Beatles are on the Ringo album, four out of five Eagles were on Warren Zevon's Bad Luck Streak In Dancing School, etc.

• Here's another scenario that doesn't really fit the question, but which the question calls to mind: The greatest number of band members, that I know about, who were all in the same two very different bands.

Four members of Renaissance, from their transitional 1970-1972 period, had all been in The Nashville Teens at different times in the early-to-mid 1960s: John Hawken, Michael Dunford, Terry Crowe and Neil Korner. None were still in the band by the time of the first album with Annie Haslam (PROLOGUE), though Dunford was "on staff" as a non-performing writer and of course would rejoin the band later.

Even odder, guitarist Rob Hendry, who was with the group briefly during 1972 (appearing on PROLOGUE), would join The Nashville Teens for a short time after being in Renaissance.

Little known fact: Before the crowbar was invented...

...crows simply drank at home.

• Smile? Interesting choice of name, Brian May/Roger Taylor's band before Queen!

They've kind of swerved it by being called The Smile. Tangent: Radiohead occasionally covered Another One Bites The Dust at gigs in the 90s.

There a Radiohead spinoff band on the go, with Thom Yorke and the guitarist. The band's name might be Smile or something? Getting very good reviews, checking them out is on my infinite to-do list.

Yes, TY with Jonny Greenwood and drummer Tom Skinner from Sons of Kemet. I love Radiohead; The Smile are okay, they haven't excited me in the same way and I haven't made my way to a gig of theirs yet. Off the first album I really like one called You Will Never Work In Television Again, and from what I've heard off the current album I like Friend Of A Friend, both tracks show their range.

Abandon all reason

• Here's another scenario that doesn't really fit the question, but which the question calls to mind: The greatest number of band members, that I know about, who were all in the same two very different bands.

Four members of Renaissance, from their transitional 1970-1972 period, had all been in The Nashville Teens at different times ...

Four members of Simon Dupree & The Big Sound (the three Shulman brothers and drummer Martin Smith) were among the six who later formed Gentle Giant.