TotW 04/15/2024 - 04/21/2024: PHIL COLLINS - Inside Out

• I think it’s one of the highlights on the album and when it came out I’d say it was probably my favourite track. I can only echo what others have said, it’s some ways it doesn’t fit with the pop feel of the overall record but what an end to the album, doesn’t anybody, inside out and Take me home. Plus we said hello on the CD. Every one a stone cold classic.

I miss Phil’s writing so much

• thought i would listen to the album yesterday on the back of this thread..been a few years since gave it a spin. Definitely a 80s sounding album..IO stands out for me on the album and has been a favourite for me. The live version even stronger which he seemed to enjoy performing.

I also seem to remember an old BBc drama from the 80s with the same name, using this as a theme tune..but that might be a addled student memory!

• I also seem to remember an old BBc drama from the 80s with the same name, using this as a theme tune..but that might be a addled student memory!

No, you're right about the drama series. Until now I assumed I was the only one here who remembered it. As I recall, it was about an agency that helped to rehabilitate just-released convicts. I think it featured Gwyneth Strong, who played Cassandra in Only Fools & Horses.

I just looked it up, yes it featured her but the IMDB description says it was two female ex-convicts who set up an employment agency. But I'm still fairly sure they helped other ex-cons. I recall liking the show, but it only lasted one season.

I can vaguely picture the opening sequence: an animation of a figure boxed in between walls, while the song's chorus played then faded.

Abandon all reason

• No, you're right about the drama series. Until now I assumed I was the only one here who remembered it. As I recall, it was about an agency that helped to rehabilitate just-released convicts. I think it featured Gwyneth Strong, who played Cassandra in Only Fools & Horses.

I just looked it up, yes it featured her but the IMDB description says it was two female ex-convicts who set up an employment agency. But I'm still fairly sure they helped other ex-cons. I recall liking the show, but it only lasted one season.

I can vaguely picture the opening sequence: an animation of a figure boxed in between walls, while the song's chorus played then faded.

Good update...i can only remember the theme tune, funny enough !...i remember playing the track one day at college and a girl came in and said 'i like this show '...to which i gave a bemused smile as up until then i hadn't heard of the programme. Let alone Phil already cashing in! 🤣

• No, you're right about the drama series. Until now I assumed I was the only one here who remembered it. As I recall, it was about an agency that helped to rehabilitate just-released convicts. I think it featured Gwyneth Strong, who played Cassandra in Only Fools & Horses.

I've found more information about the Inside Out series! I've got into the TV listings for each one of the episodes of the series.

They clearly state "Title music composed and performed by PHIL COLLINS".

And yes, it was about a temporary employment agency that recruited ex-cons, being set up by former prisoners Carla Yates (Lou Wakefield) and Bev Grabowski (Gwyneth Strong).

It featured for only one season of 6 episodes, broadcast on BBC2 on Tuesdays at 21:00 for a month from 19th February 1985 to 19th March 1985.

• Wow, how obscure! Question- as an ignorant Yankee and not fully aware of how the BBC works, does the BBC presently still broadcast tv shows and/or movies or is only a newscast?

• The BBC is a public broadcaster of both radio and television. Its TV division has a mainstream schedule: like shows, films, series and news. It has 2 generalist channels (BBC1+BBC2) and some thematic ones (BBC News 24, BBC Parliament, CBBC...). Its nearly-equivalent in the States are PBS and NPR, although I know there are significant differences BBC's TV division and PBS. CBC in Canada is more akin to BBC. Imagine a kind of state-owned NBC/CBS/ABC/Fox. BBC's TV programmes used to be of high quality but they got worsened considerably from late 1990s onwards.

• The BBC is a public broadcaster of both radio and television. Its TV division has a mainstream schedule: like shows, films, series and news. It has 2 generalist channels (BBC1+BBC2) and some thematic ones (BBC News 24, BBC Parliament, CBBC...)

The radio network mentioned is extensive with a number of national stations covering rock pop and classical music, speech, debate and drama, and regional stations across the UK, including gaelic language content where I live in the scottish highlands, and international provision including the World Service and various territories. It also provides dedicated educational content (which notched up 100 years this year) and has its own streaming platform the iplayer.

Abandon all reason

• OK, a dumb question: As someone who lives in the U.S., I don't think the expression "you've got me inside out" would be used much here. What does it basically mean? I think I heard somewhere that it means something like "you've got me all wrong."

“When the waitress asked if I wanted my pizza cut into four or eight slices, I said, ‘Four. I don’t think I can eat eight.’” -- Yogi Berra

• OK, a dumb question: As someone who lives in the U.S., I don't think the expression "you've got me inside out" would be used much here. What does it basically mean? I think I heard somewhere that it means something like "you've got me all wrong."

It could be that but in context of the largely angry mood of the song I suggest it refers to emotions being brought to the surface.

In the UK it's also not a common phrase to say "you've got me inside out" in reference to either being misunderstood or mixed up. In this case I reckon it's been used to specifically serve this song's tone.

Abandon all reason