9. 07 points - satisfactory - (0) 0%
    10. 06 points - sufficient + (0) 0%
    11. 05 points - sufficient (0) 0%
    12. 04 points - sufficient - (0) 0%
    13. 03 points - poor + (0) 0%
    14. 02 points - poor (0) 0%
    15. 01 point - poor - (0) 0%
    16. 00 points - abysmal (0) 0%

We invite you to share interesting facts and tidbits about this track. Let's look at the track in the context of the band's / the artist's history, at the music, the songwriting and all other aspects that are relevant for this track. Please do stick to the discussion of the track above. Comparisons to other tracks are okay, but remember that the other track you may be keen to talk about has or will have its own Track Of The Week thread. If you spot a mistake or if you can close a gap in the fact sheet above please feel free to contact martinus or Christian about it; we will gladly add and improve!

PHIL COLLINS - Inside Out

Year: 1985
    Album: ... No Jacket Required
    Working title: ?
    Credits: Collins
    Lyrics: Yes
    Length: 5:14
    Musicians: Phil Collins
    Played Live: 1985, 1990, 2019
    Cover versions: ?

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Notes: One of the hidden treasures on No Jacket Required is Inside Out. Unlike Sussudio and One More Night, this song did not become a hit. As the B-side of a single, only the live version appeared on the live maxi CD Do You Remember? in 1990. Phil revisited the track during his last tour and played it live in 2019.

cheers

Christian

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Follow us on Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | BlueSky

Deutsch? Check our German Website

Check out our brand new WhatsApp Channel!

• One of his best, slightly marred by the advert-style sax solo which has an unfortunate 80s dating effect. Apart from that it could be 21st century and is a fine example of the darker, angrier feel he brought to some of his work. It was an aspect I liked and wished he did more of.

Abandon all reason

• Similar to Backdrifter here. Good track. I like the start, actually I like everything up to the bridge, I like that it's a bit darker than the rest of the album, but I don't like the bridge or the use of the sax.

• I feel the same as both of you. I love the main groove, the sax is a bit cheesy, but those were the times.

In general, I would say No Jacket Required is not my favourite Phil Collins album. I like Inside Out, Long Long Way To Go, Take Me Home, Doesn't Anybody Stay Together Anymore, and We Say Hello Goodbye especially... The rest is, you know, songs that are very often on radio, and they have become "what Phil Collins is about" over the years in people's minds : upbeat 80's songs with overuse of DX7 cheesy sounds, if you know what I mean. I doubt Phil himself is really keen on those "radio hit" songs, judging by what he said in his autobiography.

I prefer the darker, angry Phil (his two first albums...).

• In my opinion, NO JACKET REQUIRED is basically an OK album for the most part, and "Inside Out" is where the song quality takes a step up. "Take Me Home" is another step up, and "We Said Hello Goodbye" (on the CD version) is a step up from that.

"Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain. And most do."

-- Dale Carnegie

• I echo pretty much every comment above and also agree with the list of "good" songs on the album. He was very good at the grittier, darker side when he wanted to (Mama was peak, Tonight Tonight Tonight was also excellent), he just did very little of it solo after Hello... 13 for this track.

• Probably my favourite on the album. I especially loved the live version from the NJR tour, which is impressive considering I'm pretty certain the album actually hadn't been released at that point, so I'd never heard it.

(The Manchester Apollo. Imagine trying to see Phil (or Genesis) at a medium sized theatre these days.)

• I feel the same as both of you. I love the main groove, the sax is a bit cheesy, but those were the times.

In general, I would say No Jacket Required is not my favourite Phil Collins album. I like Inside Out, Long Long Way To Go, Take Me Home, Doesn't Anybody Stay Together Anymore, and We Say Hello Goodbye especially... The rest is, you know, songs that are very often on radio, and they have become "what Phil Collins is about" over the years in people's minds : upbeat 80's songs with overuse of DX7 cheesy sounds, if you know what I mean. I doubt Phil himself is really keen on those "radio hit" songs, judging by what he said in his autobiography.

I prefer the darker, angry Phil (his two first albums...).

Another person who also prefers darker, angry Phil here, but Inside Out is a brilliant song from a mostly brilliant album (despite what Phil himself seems to think of it). 15. Not only that, but I saw him do it.

• 13/15

It's a great track and not as much mainstream as a lot of other tracks on the record. I wasn't aware he did play that during his last solo tour (but not in Europe as far as I can see?)

• That's 14/15 from me!

Great track and certainly one of his best from the whole catalogue.

PS: I always thought that "Oughta know by now" is some sort of tribute to "Inside out"

• I also think it's a strong track and certainly better than, let's say Only You Know And I Know. 13 from me.

cheers

Christian

Follow us on Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | BlueSky

Deutsch? Check our German Website

Check out our brand new WhatsApp Channel!

• This is my favorite track on NJR and worth 14 points. A shame he stopped playing it live on later tours (1994-2005).

... there's a crack in everything. That's how the light gets in

• 14 from my side. I played this yesterday and this one doesn't have this sort of mainstream flow like most of the tracks on the album. It's more diverse, interesting regarding the composition.

... make tomorrow today!