What TV shows have you been watching ?

• On a tangent - and let's face it, the last couple of pages have been one big tangent anyway - this reminds me that people who put together title cards for videos so often have a knack of making them as off-putting as possible. It's quite a skill.

So Kate (my wife) and I were watching old episodes of that DCI Banks show on Amazon. “Where is he? Did you bloody well arrest him?” Response: “He was shot, boss….taken to hospital.”

right after my silly question in this thread. The timing…

I love British TV. They have such great police dramas!!! Luther was amazing, loved Unforgotten, Broadchurch, Retribution, and a bunch of others.

• so unless I name a specific zoo, I should say I’m going to zoo. Unless I specify which concert I’m attending, I say I’m going to concert? Sounds mega awkward!!!

You just get used to it. Don't expect logic in the English language, it's evolved over centuries, often without even being written down.

The pronunciation of "cough" and "bough" would be an example of how bizarre it gets, though frankly, the way you say "Cholmondeley" (a village and castle about 10 miles from me) takes some beating! :)

Ian

Putting the old-fashioned Staffordshire plate in the dishwasher!

• I think the British do a great job of creating believable and relatable characters. Less glamorous actors and more depth.

If you really want to mine that shaft, and you can find it on a streaming service, may I suggest 60/70's TV series, Public Eye. About a very small time private enquiry agent, only 5 episodes of the first 3 series (1965/66/68) exist, as it was videotaped, not filmed, and at £200 a reel, about half the price of a typical car back then, the TV company reused the tapes! '68 ended with the main character, Frank Marker, being jailed (Not "The jailed" ^^) for handling stolen goods, having been fitted up by his client who used him for their own ends. (In this programme, it often does not end well.) The first full available series, 1969, sees him come out of prison and get himself back on his feet, both it and the '71 series are highlights, but there were 2 more, 73 and 75.

No guns, no car (he hires one if he needs one), it's a real variation on the usual private 'tec theme.

Ian

• the way you say "Cholmondeley" (a village and castle about 10 miles from me) takes some beating!

A friend had a theory that those pronunciations of names often linked to upper-class surnames and place names, eg Cholomondeley (= "Chumley") and Featherstonehaugh (= "Fanshaw") come from aristocrats barely moving their lips when they speak.

Abandon all reason

• A friend had a theory that those pronunciations of names often linked to upper-class surnames and place names, eg Cholomondeley (= "Chumley") and Featherstonehaugh (= "Fanshaw") come from aristocrats barely moving their lips when they speak.

As in "air helair" for Oh, hello? :)

Ian

• so unless I name a specific zoo, I should say I’m going to zoo. Unless I specify which concert I’m attending, I say I’m going to concert? Sounds mega awkward!!!

A little late to the party here but... can you be 'zoo-ized'? No? Then you can't be in zoo. You can only be at the zoo. Or at a stretch, in the zoo.

Hmm. Never thought I'd type that combination of words in my life.

• A little late to the party here but... can you be 'zoo-ized'? No? Then you can't be in zoo. You can only be at the zoo. Or at a stretch, in the zoo.

Hmm. Never thought I'd type that combination of words in my life.

I actually had to go “in hospital” the other day for an all-night sleep study. It was a long night! I have sleep apnea. I am thrilled to be “out hospital” now after all those wires attached to me! 😳🤯🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

• I'm up to episode 3 of I May Destroy You, after hearing consistently good things about it. Quite compelling so far, and a bit creepy in parts. A woman in London has had a night out then the next day notices odd things - an unexplained cut on her head, an ATM withdrawal at a location far from where she went, images of a man standing over her, a vague sense of someone being attacked. She starts to try piecing it together but the people she was with are evasive and unhelpful.

In the 3rd episode which I just watched, it flashed back to 3 months previously when she was in Italy so there's another thread developing there. On to ep4 tomorrow.

Abandon all reason

• I'm up to episode 3 of I May Destroy You, after hearing consistently good things about it. Quite compelling so far, and a bit creepy in parts. A woman in London has had a night out then the next day notices odd things - an unexplained cut on her head, an ATM withdrawal at a location far from where she went, images of a man standing over her, a vague sense of someone being attacked. She starts to try piecing it together but the people she was with are evasive and unhelpful.

In the 3rd episode which I just watched, it flashed back to 3 months previously when she was in Italy so there's another thread developing there. On to ep4 tomorrow.

...only I never did proceed to ep4. No reason... I should try to resume it.

I'm so often late to things. It's long finished but I always heard good things about Peaky Blinders. I noticed it's all on the BBC iplayer so have started watching. OK so far, good enough to go on to the 2nd ep anyway. It's a bit too carefully stylised at times but I'm assured that settles down.

It features a number of people I like a lot - Cillian Murphy, Sam Neill, Sophie Rundle and the much-missed wonderful Helen McRory.

I'm also doing a complete dvd run-through of The Wire, my favourite ever TV show. Nearing the end of the 3rd season now.

Abandon all reason

• It would be nice to have time for some more TV but have managed to watch Around The World In 80 Days. Very good. Also the Xmas Would I lie to you too you and a couple of Blankety Blanks!! That's it for Xmas so far. Low brow to put a smile on my miserable old face.

• This last week I watched drama series The Tourist on the BBC iplayer. It starts with a man driving in a remote Australian region who is then chased by a huge truck which rams him off the road. He then wakes up in hospital with no memory of the crash and doesn't even know who he is.

Yes, not an original premise - amnesiac must piece together who they are and what's happened - who pushed him off the road and why? But it's handled in a very compelling way with little clues coming together to build up the picture and is a nice mix of drama, tension and humour. The central character is played by Jamie Dornan who as usual is very good. Also I like that it's just 6 episodes and doesn't leave much room for continuing, that appears to be it done and dusted so I hope they don't try to make a 2nd series.

If you can access it I recommend it as very good entertainment.

Abandon all reason