Mama Tour 1983-4

• Feel free to post anything here related to this tour. I didn't see them on this tour - the UK (and indeed the world except for US and Canada) portion of the tour consisted solely of 5 nights at Birmingham Arena, I was an impoverished student in London and couldn't afford the ticket and travel/accommodation. At the time I kind of resented that itinerary a bit, the whole of Europe and the rest of the world getting those 5 gigs in England to scrabble over, stuck on the end of a massive US/Canada marathon. We had been spoilt with quite extensive tours during 1980-82, and I guess they were really turning the heat up under their US ambitions at that stage.

Does anyone know of any decent recordings of the 'old medley' segment of the show that comprised variously combinations of Eleventh Earl intro, Squonk, Ripples, The Lamb, Behind The Lines, Firth and Musical Box?

Abandon all reason

Edited once, last by Backdrifter ().

• I was lucky enough to see them at the gigs in Birmingham that subsequently became the Mama Tour film. Have to say those gigs remain some of the most memorable I ever saw the band perform.

• I was lucky enough to see them at the gigs in Birmingham that subsequently became the Mama Tour film. Have to say those gigs remain some of the most memorable I ever saw the band perform.

I reckon it was the last tour where they had a reasonably 'balanced' setlist with some relatively unexpected inclusions (at least until the 07 tour). I can imagine it would have been memorable. It must have felt very different - the stage and lighting configurations, Banks centre-stage, some old numbers re-appearing for the first time in a while (even as snippets), the TIOA medley. Instrumentally and vocally, they were hitting a real peak at that point.

Abandon all reason

• My only experience of this tour has been watching the tour video. It looks like it was a great tour. The ITQE section of the In the Cage medley is particularly crushing. The drum duet is also great.

There are some poor quality videos of the various old medleys that were done, some as rehearsal footage and some from concerts. It is the only time I know of where they varied a medley so much over the tour.

• I'll have to check out my bootlegs from the Mama tour for a decent recording of the old medley. No pre-fm or soundboard bootlegs exist that include the old medley (itself a forerunner of the medley they played on the WCD tour) but I know I have some really decent sounding audience recordings. I'll just need some time to go through them.

I do love the Mama tour. Phil's in-between-song banter was often hilarious. I especially liked the pantomime-esque introduction to the old medley where he talked of getting out the old records - big cheer - and then putting them away again - boo - and then getting them out again etc. The new songs sounded great and there was still plenty of room in the set for a decent smattering of old tunes. And lest we forget this was the tour where they started performing the Turn It On Again medley.

• The ITQE section of the In the Cage medley is particularly crushing.

Oh yes indeed. That segment was a nice surprise and sounded stunning. That and the IT Tour version killed the original for me, I can't listen to it now as I keep mentally willing it to be like those live ones. (The version I saw Hackett do last year wasn't up to much either).

In the Mama Tour medley I assumed it would naturally go straight into Afterglow so was surprised they kept their Slippermen snippet in there.

Abandon all reason

• Oh yes indeed. That segment was a nice surprise and sounded stunning. That and the IT Tour version killed the original for me, I can't listen to it now as I keep mentally willing it to be like those live ones. (The version I saw Hackett do last year wasn't up to much either).

Daryl just flies on In That Quiet Earth. I have a bootleg from the IT tour recorded in Germany on which Daryl's performance of the piece is jaw-droppingly good.

• Anyone else got thoughts on this tour?

It's the one I wish I had seen first.

I remember the three dates in Philly being announced and desperately wanting to go. However, parental permission was not going to materialize (I was only 16 at the time). ;(

I know there are boots of the shows, but they are either incomplete and/or not always great performances all the way through (i.e., some of the sonic gremlins, arising from the technology and/or (occasionally) the musicians come through on the recordings).

Like many above, I would love to have a high-quality boot of a full show with the double oldies medley. One of the holy grails of live Genesis recordings, I would think.

Stepping out the back way, hoping nobody sees...

• The absolute highlight for me was the light show during Second Home by the Sea when the whole rig just moved backward.. Absolutely amazing!!

Edited once, last by somsom ().