PETER GABRIEL | The Making Of i/o - general info and discussion

• Hi, I saw this message posted last night. It's very interesting and it's likely that I/O is coming up or that PG wants to observe the public reaction.

This has been done by STEVE WILSON with his new album....

About the tracks I'm inclined to think of an album with at least 10 tracks...or maybe more? Ten until September...

He might also release more tracks depending on how the new album sells and what reviews he gets....

Will there be a BlueRay of some of his concerts in Europe?

• it's 36:40 min so far. Live And Let Live could be the longest trach with 7 minutes. Perhaps you are right but this would also mean the remaining tracks are rather short, for Gabriel's standard. Or the "one hour" announcement is not accurate

If the whole slot is one hour (21:30-22:30)

— and you’d imagine there would be a short introduction, the running time will be somewhat less than one hour.

Additionally, if Peter is letting people hear it in its entirety in July 2023, albeit for a one-off and to promote his WOMAD Festival, I really do think September 2023 is on the table for the album release. Why then hold off for another 7-8 months at the earliest (February/March 2024)…

• Official Post

Additionally, if Peter is letting people hear it in its entirety in July 2023, albeit for a one-off and to promote his WOMAD Festival, I really do think September 2023 is on the table for the album release. Why then hold off for another 7-8 months at the earliest (February/March 2024)…

because things take time. You won't get time in a vinyl pressing plant quickly. September is very unlikely because that's less than 6 weeks now. And then Peter is on tour - no time to do proper promotion.

• because things take time. You won't get time in a vinyl pressing plant quickly. September is very unlikely because that's less than 6 weeks now. And then Peter is on tour - no time to do proper promotion.

Possibly; I just know Peter prefers the end of September for releases. Up was September 23rd and Us was September 28th. September 22nd/29th 2023 is 8 and 9 weeks away, respectively. Personally, I think the album is probably ready now — and could be pressed already? The promotional issue I can see, but Peter doesn’t do a lot of that in the U.K. at least…

Plus, the i/o project, tour and merchandise is focused on 2023 — my ‘Rising’ tour t-shirt has ‘PG23’ on it. And Manu Katche stated that the album would be out this year. I dunno, I just think this may surprise a lot of people…

• Official Post

Well, Manu's Statement is one year old (or even older) - and he is "just" a musican on the album. He is not involved in all the realease plans, PR stuff and so on. So I wouldn't take his words too seriously (anymore).

Concerning "September": I think this is just an idea - not a must.

The Tour Merch is branded with PG23 because the tour is running 2023...

I still see no strong signal for a release in the next months.

• Do you know before with song? Is there a YT video of it ?

It was before ‘Olive Tree’ and I’ve just found a clip on YouTube: “…and in this particular story, which is the next project after i/o and possibly o/i”.

Therefore, if it’s part of that story, it’s possible that ‘Olive Tree’ won’t be on i/o? Although ‘Road to Joy’ is on i/o and is part of the ‘brain project’…

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Official Post

the o/i idea came due to the surplus of songs he has.

I am still quite confident that the tracks played during the tour will be omn the i/o album. After that, we'll see

• It was before ‘Olive Tree’ and I’ve just found a clip on YouTube: “…and in this particular story, which is the next project after i/o and possibly o/i”.

Therefore, if it’s part of that story, it’s possible that ‘Olive Tree’ won’t be on i/o? Although ‘Road to Joy’ is on i/o and is part of the ‘brain project’…

Thank you so much for finding this!

He doesn’t sound like he’s joking with OI…?

Yes all these stories about the "next project" are a bit confusing😅

how can road to joy also be linked to the next project? 🤨 ?

Peter's mind is as always fast and hard to follow

• If it's indeed around 60 minutes, that's "Love Can Heal" and 2-3 songs, depending on the ones he chooses, and that's a wrap.

About length. Based on the Berlin show on YouTube:

• "And Still" (7:34)
    • "Live and Let Live" (6:46)
    • "Olive Tree" (5:59)
    • "Love Can Heal" (5:24)
    • "This Is Home" (4:57)
  • Possibly; I just know Peter prefers the end of September for releases. Up was September 23rd and Us was September 28th. September 22nd/29th 2023 is 8 and 9 weeks away, respectively. Personally, I think the album is probably ready now — and could be pressed already? The promotional issue I can see, but Peter doesn’t do a lot of that in the U.K. at least…

Plus, the i/o project, tour and merchandise is focused on 2023 — my ‘Rising’ tour t-shirt has ‘PG23’ on it. And Manu Katche stated that the album would be out this year. I dunno, I just think this may surprise a lot of people…

So perhaps??

September 22/29 for CD/Cassette (if he does cassette)
    November 10/17 for LP.

• So perhaps??

September 22/29 for CD/Cassette (if he does cassette)
    November 10/17 for LP.

If it’s coming this year, I reckon it’ll be one of those dates in September. I’m hoping, with the WOMAD thing at the end of this week — and the fact that those lucky people at the festival will have heard the entire album, that Peter might give us a bit more of a clue in the Full Moon video next Tuesday (August 1st) 🙏🌕

• Hello friends of the forum

After the session at WOMAD could someone who is attending please let us know what impression you got from the album i/o and if there is talk of a release date on LP/cd. Also could you let us know how long it is and which versions are Bright or Dark, for example.

• It is more likely that in the following months he'll reveal the cover art, tracklist and pre-order announcement for a release by Christmas.

I doubt very much that he will release the album before finishing the whole cycle of 12 (or 13) full moons. It would be totally meaningless unless the versions on the album are different from the "Bright-Side" and "Dark-Side" mixes, but I believe that won't be the case either.

• Official Post

Hello friends of the forum

After the session at WOMAD could someone who is attending please let us know what impression you got from the album i/o and if there is talk of a release date on LP/cd. Also could you let us know how long it is and which versions are Bright or Dark, for example.

That won't be possible, they will play the ATMOS Surround mix.

• Hello friends of the forum

The session at womad will play the Atmos mixes.