PETER GABRIEL | The Making Of i/o - general info and discussion

• Official Post

So many options: an ‘o/i’ physical release, stand-alone Full Moon digital releases or, as ‘Flotsam and Jetsam’ was a digital-only compilation, it’s possible he could also append that album with the surplus tracks, such as What Lies Ahead, Show Yourself and Baby Man — maybe even the ‘Son Of OVO’ stuff, which I’m still dying to hear. The Veil is already on there of course. He’s still sitting on a lot of amazing material.

The majority of OVO never was recorded by Peter in a PG version. He offered Son Of Ovo to his American record company at the time, but they wanted to do HIT. So that never was finished. Make Tomorrow Today is an exception. White Ashes was played live but to this day there is no reliable info whether or not a studio version exists.

• The majority of OVO never was recorded by Peter in a PG version. He offered Son Of Ovo to his American record company at the time, but they wanted to do HIT. So that never was finished. Make Tomorrow Today is an exception. White Ashes was played live but to this day there is no reliable info whether or not a studio version exists.

I'm not sure about that. If Pg offered it to his record company it means it was close to be finished. He wouldn't have proposed something if there was still a lot of work to be done on it

Also I remember an old interview of Richard chappell in SOS where he talked about working on son of Ovo.

I really hope we'll be able to hear that version sometime.

• I'm not sure about that. If Pg offered it to his record company it means it was close to be finished. He wouldn't have proposed something if there was still a lot of work to be done on it

Also I remember an old interview of Richard chappell in SOS where he talked about working on son of Ovo.

I really hope we'll be able to hear that version sometime.

Totally agree. And IMO, Downside Up is one of Peter’s best tracks; the only thing missing is his vocals — and I read somewhere years ago that he’d recorded vocals for it for ‘Son of OVO’.

• Official Post

I actually asked. And that project was never finished / ready to go. Quite obviously the idea was there and several tracks may have been done, but there is no final Son of OVO record somewhere waiting to be released.

• I actually asked. And that project was never finished / ready to go. Quite obviously the idea was there and several tracks may have been done, but there is no final Son of OVO record somewhere waiting to be released.

That’s sad. I’d love to have the tracks that were done though, especially Downside Up. In any case, Peter’s still got a lot to offer.

• Personally I hope the cd/LP will be released soon. I think all the i/o songs are already there.

Which ones do you think will be released as a single?

I can't imagine a double cd with both versions Dark & Bright, it would be the same dog with a different collar.

Another question: Will there be a video of any song, and Blue_Ray of any concert of the tour?

What was Peter Gabriel looking for at Womad to listen to i/o? The response on the tour has been very good.

• Personally I hope the cd/LP will be released soon. I think all the i/o songs are already there.

Which ones do you think will be released as a single?

I can't imagine a double cd with both versions Dark & Bright, it would be the same dog with a different collar.

Another question: Will there be a video of any song, and Blue_Ray of any concert of the tour?

What was Peter Gabriel looking for at Womad to listen to i/o? The response on the tour has been very good.

When it comes to the tour on recording it's a safe bet we'll get SOMETHING (the So, Secret World, Growing Up, Scratch My Back/New Blood & Back to Front tours all have at least one thing out there) but the question is what will we get?

• It's true. in all the previous tours except the one with sTing, some of the performances were recorded on dvd (later Blu-Ray).

It would be interesting to see and hear how the songs look like in this format of image and sound.

And the LP/cd should not take much longer, although it is true that as of the full moon in December there would be 13 songs, and I think Tony Levin said they had worked on 16 songs!!! I/o would be out in April 2024?

• Perhaps the fact of presenting i/o at WOMAD gives us reason to think that i/o is close...¿?

I would say yes to that for sure. This is the first official example of "presenting the album" as it is to be released. I imagine he wouldn't be doing that kind of exposure unless he was planning on releasing it soon (then again soon is a relative term). Although I wouldn't imagine he would do such marketing like this if he wasn't intending it to be released sometime in the next four months at least.

Just my thoughts on it I guess

• Official Post

I am pretty sure he will not release it during the american tour dates. And I'm more sure he will not do it before, because that should have been announced already.

So earliest date would be somewhere end of October.

But more logic to me would be end of November. The full moon releases of the album would been through, the album could come out and end of December we would get What Lies Ahead as a non album track for the last full moon of 2023.

• I would like to think that the album will be released in September or October. Also some song might be a bonus track, in a de-luxe edition.

December is a Christmas release date; I don't see a release date for the album.

Or release it at the end of the American tour?

• I am pretty sure he will not release it during the american tour dates. And I'm more sure he will not do it before, because that should have been announced already.

So earliest date would be somewhere end of October.

But more logic to me would be end of November. The full moon releases of the album would been through, the album could come out and end of December we would get What Lies Ahead as a non album track for the last full moon of 2023.

I have a feeling that rather than just another track, he might actually release the album itself on the full moon at the end of November (the 27th I believe it is?) That would make sense; he will have already released just about all of the songs that are to be on the album, he'll be finished with his tour by then, and it would be just in time for holiday shopping!

• I have a feeling that rather than just another track, he might actually release the album itself on the full moon at the end of November (the 27th I believe it is?) That would make sense; he will have already released just about all of the songs that are to be on the album, he'll be finished with his tour by then, and it would be just in time for holiday shopping!

This would be awesome. I reckon the remaining songs will be released in tracklist order: This Is Home, And Still, Live and Let Live; and I have a feeling that Love Can Heal will be last of all, with the video by Antony Micallef and Aardman Animations (see below); but rather than just the song, maybe the entire album will be released on November 27th, and the video will be used to promote the record?

https://www.instagram.com/reel…m_source=ig_web_copy_link

Having What Lies Ahead at the end of December as a non-album track would be amazing, too. I’m kinda sad this hasn’t made the album, as I like it a lot.

Edited 2 times, last by rjhatcher ().

• Well, at this point in August (6-08-2023), we can say that there are still 4 songs left from the live performances (i/o European tour): This Is Home, Love Can Heal, And Still and Live and let Love.

From Full Moons there is one left at the end of August and the full moons of September, October and November.

At the beginning of November, just at the end of the North American tour, it could be released i/o...?

I'm not sure about the video, and I don't think the track list will vary much between Europe and the US.

That's what we can say although PG's plans may be very different....

• Tomorrow begins the second leg of Peter Gabriel's I/O 2023 tour.

-Regarding the change in the setlist, maybe it wouldn't be a bad idea to do a song like Secret World or Blood of eden as a tribute to Sinead O Connor.

- Another question in the air is the release date on vinyl, cd or Blue Ray (concerts)...there are still a couple of songs to be released to coincide with the full moon.

- September and October is not a bad release date, and to place as bonus-tracks the missing i/o songs that have been performed live.

WHAT DO YOU THINK ABOUT ALL THIS?

• Official Post

I doubt that there will be any changes to the setlist. - And PG has never done something like tributes.

It's pretty likely that the release of i/o will be in december or later. When all album tracks are released and only What Lies Ahead as a non-album-track has been left out.

(Why Secret World as a tribute to Sinnead? Do you mix it up with Come Talk To Me?)