New PHIL COLLINS albums "Other Sides" and "Remixed Sides" coming 31st May

• Official Post

Phil Collins will release two albums on 31st May

Other Sides compiles B-Sides that were not part of the rerelease compaign bonus tracks

Remixed Sides compiles Remixes over the years.

Both albums will ONLY be available in digital format

See our news item for details

https://www.genesis-news.com/n…-Sides-31st-May-n598.html

• Yeah, I think you mean only available in a download format, CD is digital, but clearly that's not happening.

Ian

Putting the old-fashioned Staffordshire plate in the dishwasher!

• Official Post

They could have done a limited stock of CDs for the fans.

Digital music is Fine, you can Access stuff quickly and you are not limited to space etc. still, plenty of us prefer CDs on their shelves

• Shame they don't do CDs or a complete set for fans. I wonder why that is so difficult. Feels like they don't really care much about the real fans.

... make tomorrow today!

• Can someone put together a list of tracks that are unique to this release? i'm not interested in the remixes, just the original tracks that cant be found anywhere else at the moment (not including out-of-print releases). In other words, since they started rematering and re-releasing all of Phil's work.

• Official Post

Can someone put together a list of tracks that are unique to this release? i'm not interested in the remixes, just the original tracks that cant be found anywhere else at the moment (not including out-of-print releases). In other words, since they started rematering and re-releasing all of Phil's work.

we will do that for the review of both albums

• Thank you. Looking forward to it. BTW, good for Phil (and his management team) for doing this. Same for PG with his new Rated PG album. Great idea, and some fresh music for fans to listen to in the highest possible quality (as opposed to some youtube recording).

• this is the track list:

01 In the Air Tonight (Demo)

02 I Missed Again (Demo)

03 If Leaving Me Is Easy (Demo)

04 The Man With the Horn

05 I Like the Way

06 Big Noise (Instrumental)

07 Homeless ("Another Day in Paradise" Demo)

08 Lionel ("Do You Remember" Demo)

09 Broadway Chorus ("Something Happened on the Way To Heaven" Home Demo)

10 Around the World in 80 Presets

11 Rad Dudeski

12 Don't Call Me Ashley

13 Both Sides of the Demo (Early Demo)

14 Everyday (Early Demo)

15 For a Friend

16 Stevie's Blues ("Theres a Place for Us" Instrumental)

17 It's Everywhere

18 Tears of a Clown (Wake Up Call) [2003 Version]

i guess i'll take those tracks and add them to the extra cd's from the 2016 edition. i mean, the demos of in the air tonight, i missed again and if leaving me is easy belong on 'extra values', the man on the horn belong on 'hello! extras' and so on...

i rarely skip songs, but i will feel tempted to do it with i like the way. i listened to it once or twice many years ago, and i recall it was terrible. :(

• I'm actually quite excited for this. Ever since I learned that some of his b-sides wouldn't be on the album remasters, I was hoping he'd eventually release something just like this. Although I am disappointed they're not being released on CD, I suppose it doesn't matter anyways cos I will really only listen to these songs on my phone or in my car-with my phone plugged in. Like you chema, I plan to divide these up on iTunes and place them each with their respective albums.

What I REALLY hope is that the b-sides on these are at the very least cleaned-up versions, or even remastered. IMO there's no reason to believe otherwise, since the ones included on the albums very much sounded like they were remastered, but even if not they still sound great. I would LOVE to have high quality versions of both Man with the Horn and I Like the Way for the first time-I've only ever had "copy of a copy" cassette rips, which were subsequently ripped from Vinyl LPs!!

Re: Remixed sides, I also look forward to these remixes. Although if I had to guess, the extended versions of those 6 No Jacket...songs I would wager are simply the entirety of 12"ers (which I have). But still...

• Official Post

What I REALLY hope is that the b-sides on these are at the very least cleaned-up versions, or even remastered. IMO there's no reason to believe otherwise, since the ones included on the albums very much sounded like they were remastered, but even if not they still sound great. I would LOVE to have high quality versions of both Man with the Horn and I Like the Way for the first time-I've only ever had "copy of a copy" cassette rips, which were subsequently ripped from Vinyl LPs!!

Re: Remixed sides, I also look forward to these remixes. Although if I had to guess, the extended versions of those 6 No Jacket...songs I would wager are simply the entirety of 12"ers (which I have). But still...

Don't expect too much, the tracks were not remastered (as we have written in the news item linked above). We are also curious what they might have done with it. But there were some bad examples on the Remaster Bonus CD. For example: Lionel was included on the bonus disc of But Seriously already, but this version plays slower and sounded worse than the original from the Japan CD of Do You Remember.

Other live tracks from the Remasters were YouTube rips (!!!), so I wouldn't expect too much here.

• Well, here's hoping. I am just curious-where did you hear/read that the b-sides were definitely not remastered (or at the least compressed for digital release)? I've looked all over but I can't find any info with that level of detail...

I do agree there were some poor audio quality demo/live tracks on the bonus discs. But here I'm specifically only talking about the B-sides, which is really the single main thing I'm interested in these releases for. And there's no denying that whatever they did with the b-sides that were included on the album remasters, they sounded fantastic. I guess I'm just hopeful we can look forward to the same here-specifically for the b-sides.

At any rate, I'd think it's realistic to imagine the b-sides will at the very least sound better than the versions I have currently-which like I said were copies of copies, that contained more than one level of digital, tape and/or vinyl pop noise.

Guess we'll find out in just over a week!

• Official Post

The information that the tracks were not remastered for the new release „other sides“ and „remixed sides“ comes directly from then management - I simply asked that specific question.

Speaking about quality control. It’s simply embarrassing that they could not even put the correct tracks on that album.

• They have put the wrong track on this album? Really? I mean, could this get any worse????

They have never trated their releases accurately. A shame.

... make tomorrow today!

• You know, I kind of wonder if this release is what they had planned from the beginning-and it's not so much a reaction to fan complaints as it was a premeditated business decision to hold back certain tracks for such a release...

I don't mind too much that there's no CD version. I mean, I only listen to songs in my car thru iTunes anyways really. If I'm not mistaken, Peter Gabriel only released his Rated PG on vinyl. Not everyone (including myself) has a vinyl player and collection. So I don't get that one at all. Doesn't seem to different than this really.

• since it's a digital album, i hope the mistake will be fixed before the release date. all they have to do is replacing one track with another. it would be different if it were a physical album: they would have to throw all the burned cd copies into the rubbish bin and start again.

i wouldn't care too much if it were some other track, but i love that early version of 'another day in paradise' called 'homeless' in 3/4 time signature.