What's Your Weather Like?

• With freezing rain last night and today, we are left with very slippery paths and roads. Extremely hazardous indeed!... Some stores have even closed for the day.

• So far, February as been a combination of snow and freezing rain, toppled with huge amounts of Ice. As of Sunday evening, we've received strong winds with lots of snow. =O

So far it's been absolutely dreadful all round.. March is only round the corner and hoping for a thaw.. :rolleyes:

• This weekend it's been what I think of as typical Scottish Highlands weather, ie wind, rain and sun altogether at once and one after the other in quick succession often within a minute.

It reminds me of just how little rain we've had since we moved here in 2017.

Abandon all reason

• The past week has been relatively cold and windy. Most of our snow has gone :)

Today, though sunny still requires a coat to be worn and wrapped up. Despite our global issues, at least warmer weather here is on the way. :)

• Very mild out today. Winter has officially gone here and we are getting those spring flowers popping up from the ground. Another few weeks, we should get leaves showing on the trees. :)

• Scottish Highlands today (as per yesterday) - bright, sunny, cool to mild. Just the kind of day you want to head out somewhere and hike a forest or hillside path... But of course we can't.

Oh well. I will have to be content with walking into Inverness City centre to do some food shopping. We are on a high hill and as you approach the downhill road there is a nice view, over the roof of the Eastgate Shopping Centre, towards distant snow-capped mountains.

Abandon all reason

• Scottish Highlands today (as per yesterday) - bright, sunny, cool to mild. Just the kind of day you want to head out somewhere and hike a forest or hillside path... But of course we can't.

Oh well. I will have to be content with walking into Inverness City centre to do some food shopping. We are on a high hill and as you approach the downhill road there is a nice view, over the roof of the Eastgate Shopping Centre, towards distant snow-capped mountains.

Inverness is a lovely place.... used to have holidays in Nairn on a regular basis

“Without music, life would be a mistake”

• Inverness is a lovely place.... used to have holidays in Nairn on a regular basis

Oh yes I remember you mentioning that - the beachfront caravan park?

My partner and I are Londonera but have always loved Scotland and said we'd move if one of us got a job. She finally did it in 2017, getting one here in Inverness so we made the move. It coincided with my becoming a consultant/contractor which meant I could work from home so it all lined up very nicely.

We really like it a lot. It's an ideal small city, everything within walking distance and surrounded by wonderful landscape. The road, bus and train links are excellent. The locals are welcoming, friendly and helpful. It's a perfect place!

We seem to get the best of the weather. The geography of the area works in our favour. OK like everywhere here it's always a few degrees cooler than down south but we don't care, it means summers have beautiful sunny days but with pleasant mild temperatures which we prefer to hot soupy humid summer days in London.

The beaches at Nairn are just lovely.

Abandon all reason

• A small Inverness story:

July, 1971, I'm on school organised trip to Harris, Outer Hebrides, aged 12 and a half, there are about 50 of us. The trip included a coach to Liverpool, train to Glasgow, walk across Glasgow at about 10 pm to the other station for a train to Inverness. We arrive 5am, and have a 2 hour wait for a coach to take us to Kyle of Lachalsh for the ferry to sky.

It's a lovely morning, sun is shining and already high in the sky, relative to many places, being so far north. So we all split into our little groups, me with 2 others wander off around the town. But it's not such a big place, and so we keep bumping into others, and needless to say, we, collectively, aren't as quiet as we should be.

Around 6 am, we have woken the owner of a local café, who clearly knows an opportunity when she hears it. Cue freshly grilled burgers and hot drinks. This was the 22nd year the trip had been done (and the last, we went comprehensive the following year, and the teacher who organised it moved on, or retired) so I suspect she probably had an inkling we would be around, but it's a morning (and a trip) that has stayed with me ever since. Including hitching a lift from our campsite to Tarbert, Harris's main town, and getting a lift part-way from Lord Pilkington, driving from his holiday home to his private fishing lake! :)

Ian

Putting the old-fashioned Staffordshire plate in the dishwasher!