What's Your Weather Like?

• Lots of snow here today. Just had a break from work to have a little walk in the snow - hate driving in it but love walking. Wife came with me and bought a takeaway coffee and then proceeded to slip and lose it all;(

“Without music, life would be a mistake”

• Lots of snow here today. Just had a break from work to have a little walk in the snow - hate driving in it but love walking. Wife came with me and bought a takeaway coffee and then proceeded to slip and lose it all;(

You usually seem to get it worse down there than us. Here on the Black Isle we've had intermittent snow. About a half hour of very heavy fall late last night which stopped just as suddenly as it started but settled and still lying around today. More fell about an hour ago but now it's bright sunshine - ie, typical constantly-changing Highlands weather.

It's been -4C during the day for a few days and forecast to get colder, hitting -9C in a day or two.

Did you get hit by the power cut?

Abandon all reason

• Did you get hit by the power cut?

Large areas of Edinburgh were effected by the power cut but in our flat we were fine. Our eldest son who has a flat about 10 minutes away with some university mates were effected but only lasted about 20 minutes.

“Without music, life would be a mistake”

• Snow here too. Couple of decent falls in a couple of days. Fair bit of shoveling!

Slightly OT but please mind the ice everyone. Y'all are likely not as stupid as me but I walked onto a section of hill recently I thought was wet. It was not wet. It was coated in frozen snow melt. Needless to say I took a heavy fall and slid ten feet or so towards the main road. It would have looked hysterical to any onlooker but it was 5.30am so no one around, and it didn't feel funny to me at the time! I rightly fucked my shoulder and wrist up such that it was very hard to put a coat or rucksack on for about a week.

• Snow here too. Couple of decent falls in a couple of days. Fair bit of shoveling!

Slightly OT but please mind the ice everyone. Y'all are likely not as stupid as me but I walked onto a section of hill recently I thought was wet. It was not wet. It was coated in frozen snow melt. Needless to say I took a heavy fall and slid ten feet or so towards the main road. It would have looked hysterical to any onlooker but it was 5.30am so no one around, and it didn't feel funny to me at the time! I rightly fucked my shoulder and wrist up such that it was very hard to put a coat or rucksack on for about a week.

Oh, mate... I feel your pain. In the 80s I was walking down an icy hill and just thinking I'd better switch to the other side where it was clearer and at that moment, my feet went from under me and I hit the deck. I didn't know it at the time but as I later discovered in A&E I'd completely dislocated my left elbow. It was reset but to this day it's never been as before and I'll never be able to fully extend that arm. Weirdly it used to throb in cold/wet weather, which they warned me might happen, but doesn't seem to do that now.

Anyway, I hope you're sure you haven't broken anything. A few years back I fell and broke the wrist of my further traumatised left arm but I went around like that for days saying my wrist hurt before someone said, for crying out loud go get it checked! Cue 2 months in plaster...

Abandon all reason

• Heavy snowfall here last night, a good couple of inches settled. The really powdery stuff that skiers love. Now bright sunshine so it may melt though not much sign of that yet as it's still very cold at -2 to -4C (and forecast to get colder still). I will be back out on gritting duty later.

Abandon all reason

• It's one of those lovely winter days we get in my neck of the woods where it's clear blue skies and sunshine but extremely cold.

It's -20 C this morning and the forecast is calling for temperatures to drop to -34 C overnight.

• It's one of those lovely winter days we get in my neck of the woods where it's clear blue skies and sunshine but extremely cold.

It's -20 C this morning and the forecast is calling for temperatures to drop to -34 C overnight.

So my -2 to -4 is tropical in comparison!

Views from my office windows

By the way, if you look closely in one pic you'll see a UK Royal Mail van, and in the other, a US Postal Service one.

Not sure exactly why I'm pointing that out, but anyway.

Abandon all reason

• Oh, mate... I feel your pain. In the 80s I was walking down an icy hill and just thinking I'd better switch to the other side where it was clearer and at that moment, my feet went from under me and I hit the deck. I didn't know it at the time but as I later discovered in A&E I'd completely dislocated my left elbow. It was reset but to this day it's never been as before and I'll never be able to fully extend that arm. Weirdly it used to throb in cold/wet weather, which they warned me might happen, but doesn't seem to do that now.

Anyway, I hope you're sure you haven't broken anything. A few years back I fell and broke the wrist of my further traumatised left arm but I went around like that for days saying my wrist hurt before someone said, for crying out loud go get it checked! Cue 2 months in plaster...

Thanks! Your war wounds sound worse than mine... Suffice to say a heavy, awkward fall on ice is no joke. I'm sure a professional ice skater could pull it off but the average Joe (or Jane?) is going to land with all the grace and agility of a sack of potatoes falling off a lorry. My shoulder is better but wrist is not right. My provisional plan was to tough it out for another few decades, as I couldn't face a couple months in a cast, but it's a bit too tender to ignore.

Weather today: dry but 🥶

• -2 C wouldn't be tropical, but certainly spring-like. ;)

I've been working from home since last March. Here's the view from my current office window.

Very pleasant view. Yes my office is at home too but I was already working from home 3 years ago.

We are sunny today but at -10C. Parts of Scotland reached -21C overnight but still not quite your -34C!

Abandon all reason

• This is possibly psychological, but I've noticed huge differences in the "feels like" temperature depending on where I am. In the US or Canada, -10 might feel like -10 (or -15 or whatever if it's windy). You can bundle up and tolerate it just fine. In Ireland, -1 might feel like -30 and be impossible to dress against. I suspect it's the damp but I have no evidence to back this up. The old "gets into your bones" thing.

I felt somewhat validated when a colleague of mine moved from Quebec to Ireland. He had a big coat he could wear (Canadian goose or the like) in Quebec when it was -30 or -40 and get away with a t-shirt under it. When he moved home, he'd have a vest, t-shirt, sweater, the coat and a scarf and be frozen stiff in damp weather hovering around 0c.

• This is possibly psychological, but I've noticed huge differences in the "feels like" temperature depending on where I am. In the US or Canada, -10 might feel like -10 (or -15 or whatever if it's windy). You can bundle up and tolerate it just fine. In Ireland, -1 might feel like -30 and be impossible to dress against. I suspect it's the damp but I have no evidence to back this up. The old "gets into your bones" thing.

I think moisture in the air does have an impact on your comfort level.

I find here in Northern Ontario, as long as you're dressed properly, nobody complains about it being -25 C.

People here refer to it as a "dry cold."

But if I travel 7 hours south of here to Toronto where I grew up, I find even at -7 C, walking in the downtown with the wind blowing can be unpleasant. It's almost like there is a dampness in the air that seeps into your clothes and crystalizes against your skin. That's how it feels to me.

• Official Post

It has been cold for over a week now - which is unusual for Dresden. We had close to -20° C one night recently and it's always like -5° or lower. We had some snow (30 cm) and it looks like it will remain cold for another week ...

• Funny conversation today. A friend of mine who is only 21 years old said something like "strange kind of weather, there's lots of snow, the sun is shining and still it is cold". I jokingly replied he is not old enough to know what winter is.

• Twenty one degrees centigrade, that's about seventy degrees Fahrenheit. Fine, dry day with a gentle breeze. And we've got those beautiful blue skies and golden sunshine all along the way. Everyone... Have a great day!