SACD Box Set Reissues?, what’s the chances?.

• I would really appreciate it if the band decided to re issue the sacd box sets of a few years back, I missed out on these sets first time around due to not having a player capable of playing the discs. I wonder if it has ever been considered or if they have considered an SACD/Blu ray combination or similar?. I did actually buy the 1970-1975 vinyl set at the time but missed out on the boxes which now as you are aware go for fair quantities of cash on the used market. It would be great if a full discography could be done in a singular box set for the studio material. Does anyone know if a re issue of these sets is in the pipeline perhaps?. Many artists I like seem to go back to the same stuff and re issue it again and again surely these titles demand to be looked at once more.

• Official Post

It's more likely this stuff will come out again on Blu-ray and Blu-ray audio, but nothing has been confirmed yet.

It seems they are working on a Lamb boxset, so let's see what this will be like ...

• Looking forward to that one for sure, a blu-ray of the box sets would be most welcome. Unlike a lot of groups Genesis don’t seem to release as much of their back catalogue as I guess we all would like - could only dream of a King Crimson approach to re issues. A Steven Wilson remaster program akin to the Yes vinyl box set of the Gabriel years would be something to own.

• Official Post

remasters were made - even new mixes in Stereo and 5.1 - so why do it again?

And yes, Genesis never really rereleased a lot. That's due to Tony and Phil, who were never fans of repackaging and rereleasing stuff

• remasters were made - even new mixes in Stereo and 5.1 - so why do it again?

And yes, Genesis never really rereleased a lot. That's du to Tony and Phil, who where never fans of repackaging and rereleasing stuff

Totally agree. Nick Davies did a sterling job with the new mixes, under the watchful eye of Tony Banks. That's good enough for me. In fact it's beyond good enough. We don't need Steven Wilson revisiting their material.

The band's 'live' history is masterfully represented by the Movement site and everything on there is free. So whilst it's great that King Crimson are making so much stuff available to the fans via their website and a raft os box sets, none of that comes cheaply.

I do wish that the band would re-release the original box sets, though. I only managed to get the 1976-1982 set and it's fantastic.

• I agree, but I’ve always thought it poor that Genesis don’t keep up a website. I also would like some live releases. You are quite correct about the Movement but a complete IT plod like me finds that a bit daunting and I couldn’t follow the instructions- completely my fault and no one else’s.

So I would pay for the convenience of ready made live material. For now it’s YouTube for me and there is a lot of good stuff on there. The box sets are superb and I also like the remixes, they ought to be readily available and it’s a shame they are not, but with the new tour- if and when it happens- there will renewed interest so maybe they will put some ‘product’ out there.

• I agree the remixes that I have heard so far on SACD (that I sadly don’t own myself), are great “Trespass” and “Selling England” are amazing to listen to on that medium. But over £300 on the used market for my favourite box 70/75 is out of reach.

• I agree, but I’ve always thought it poor that Genesis don’t keep up a website. I also would like some live releases. You are quite correct about the Movement but a complete IT plod like me finds that a bit daunting and I couldn’t follow the instructions- completely my fault and no one else’s.

Believe me, it's worth making the effort to learn how to download the 'live' material. I don't consider myself to be especially IT savvy and when someone first sent me a batch of recordings I so frustrated that person so much with my inability to decode the files that they told me they were sorry they'd sent them in the first place! That was many years ago and I haven't looked back since. Up until recently, there hadn't been too much activity on the Movement site but recent uploads have included an exclusive collection of Phil Collins material previously only available through his official site, an upgrade to the Genesis show recorded at Knebworth 1992 and a new source for one of Phil's shows from his first tour. And a cursory look at the site today reveals yet more new goodies.

If you're currently in lockdown mode, now would be the ideal time to subscribe to the Movement site and get downloading!

• Believe me, it's worth making the effort to learn how to download the 'live' material. I don't consider myself to be especially IT savvy and when someone first sent me a batch of recordings I so frustrated that person so much with my inability to decode the files that they told me they were sorry they'd sent them in the first place! That was many years ago and I haven't looked back since. Up until recently, there hadn't been too much activity on the Movement site but recent uploads have included an exclusive collection of Phil Collins material previously only available through his official site, an upgrade to the Genesis show recorded at Knebworth 1992 and a new source for one of Phil's shows from his first tour. And a cursory look at the site today reveals yet more new goodies.

If you're currently in lockdown mode, now would be the ideal time to subscribe to the Movement site and get downloading!

Thanks for that, I’ll have another look at it and see what I can do. Cheers!

• I am an IT idiot. I don't even have a computer or laptop.

I only recently joined the Genesis Movement site and took things very very slowly.

This is using my phone.

And... Hooray.

I have downloaded about 15 concerts. My favourite thing being the Mike and the Mechanics 4cd compilation.

If the Lawnmower wants any help then let me know.

• Personally I'm happy with the Boxset releases as they are. There are a few compression issues-but really only noticeable on a select few songs across the 1976-1982 box. Other than that, all the albums sound incredible to me-especially in 5.1 surround! I also enjoyed all the bonus material. I'm not a big collector of unofficial releases, so for me that was the first time seeing about 80% of all that. IMO there would be no need to re-release remasters of all the albums. In fact, IIRC Nick Davis even said himself their intent was for these to be the final "definitive versions" of the band's material. (Odd, considering the '94 remasters were also called "definitive" LOL!)

Anyway, for those that don't have them yet-I must say I've seen them offered still on sites like Amazon.com and such. The stores may not be stocking them anymore, but they're still out there to be found!

• (Odd, considering the '94 remasters were also called "definitive" LOL!)

I like to look on those 1994 remasters as being the definitive versions of the original mixes whereas the Nick Davies remixes are an attempt to shed new light through old windows, so to speak. As a fan, it's important to me to have both versions because the original mixes were what I heard first when collecting the albums all those years ago and so I suppose I'm sentimental about those mixes.

• Could one of you folks who owns these sacd/dvd boxes remind me what they cost when they came out retail?. I do realise that the price they go for now makes your eyes water!!. I wouldn’t pay the price they ask on the auction site as I’ve never really been into CDs as much as vinyl records, I bought every vinyl record from And then there were three on release or not far from it. Funny how I remember seeing such titles in Woolworths at the time. I really wonder why they haven’t thought about re issuing them again?.

• Could one of you folks who owns these sacd/dvd boxes remind me what they cost when they came out retail?. I do realise that the price they go for now makes your eyes water!!. I wouldn’t pay the price they ask on the auction site as I’ve never really been into CDs as much as vinyl records, I bought every vinyl record from And then there were three on release or not far from it. Funny how I remember seeing such titles in Woolworths at the time. I really wonder why they haven’t thought about re issuing them again?.

Certainly they were around £99.00 to £120. Depending on which ones you got!

Hope that helps,

TGA

• I like to look on those 1994 remasters as being the definitive versions of the original mixes whereas the Nick Davies remixes are an attempt to shed new light through old windows, so to speak. As a fan, it's important to me to have both versions because the original mixes were what I heard first when collecting the albums all those years ago and so I suppose I'm sentimental about those mixes.

I get that, but in this Lamb comparison video you will be able to notice the difference. The 1994 Definitive Edition Remasters, only came from the stereo masters, not the multi track masters. There was some audio trickery to make those sound half decent.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Hope that helps,

TGA

• Official Post

Certainly they were around £99.00 to £120. Depending on which ones you got!

Hope that helps,

TGA

really?

In Germany it was a bit different:

blue box 89€, sometimes 99

red one 79€

green box 99€, sometimes 109€

• Thanks to StillCan’tDance and bromleybruce for their encouragement and offer of help. Having a complicated lockdown just now with some health issues with older relatives but once I get time I will have a crack at the downloads. As for the box sets they are really nice to have and sound great and I wonder if there’s any way, as a collective, this forum can make contact with the band’s management and see if an small scale reissue could happen? They don’t seem to like issuing new products or live material but surely making official product available would be to everyone’s benefit? At least they could cost it out?

• Thanks to StillCan’tDance and bromleybruce for their encouragement and offer of help. Having a complicated lockdown just now with some health issues with older relatives but once I get time I will have a crack at the downloads. As for the box sets they are really nice to have and sound great and I wonder if there’s any way, as a collective, this forum can make contact with the band’s management and see if an small scale reissue could happen? They don’t seem to like issuing new products or live material but surely making official product available would be to everyone’s benefit? At least they could cost it out?

I think that's entiely feasible. By re-releasing the box sets, they're just making something available again to the fans who want it; they're not re-packaging something in the hope of bleeding the fanbase dry.

I suppose the man to approach would be Tony Smith.

Sorry to hear about the health issues with your family.

• Cheers, this is fascinating. I love the false start by Tony!