22, 23 November 2021 | Genesis live in MONTREAL | reports **SPOILERS**

• At the News paper the MONTREAL GAZETTE today on line in the Arts section there is a review of last nights show with several pictures in the section called , Gallery. Just search for it please. I don't know how to down load it.

Reviews in La Presse, Radio-Canada online and Journal de Montréal were very positive, probably the best reviews Genesis ever got in a long time. I'm surprised to read a positive review in The Gazette, that sorry excuse for a newspaper has always trashed anything prog-related.

• It was a fine show, even if the mix was not the best, I thought the sound was a bit muddy and several details were lost. My favorites songs were the quieter moments: the acoustic section & Carpet Crawlers. Biggest letdown: Domino, it never got off the ground and that's the song where Phil's limitations seemed the most obvious. The instrumental sections were excellent, especially my favorite, Second Home By The Sea.

They lost a lot of spectators around me when they played "Fading Lights" and "Duchess": people started checking out their phones, got up to get beers, etc. Quite a pity! Fading Lights was a great addition. Not so sure about Duchess: it's a great song but live, on its own... didn't quite had the same impact.

Overall, it felt a lot like a way to say farewell to Genesis, a celebration of their career. It's obvious that this is their last hurrah and we made sure to let them know.

I also felt that Phil was annoyed by the audience. At one point, he said: "it sure has gone quiet here." At the end of the show, it was simply "thank you, good night!", nothing more.

• They lost a lot of spectators around me when they played "Fading Lights" and "Duchess": people started checking out their phones, got up to get beers, etc. Quite a pity!

I'm very excited to have the seats that I do for my upcoming Philadelphia show.

Front row of the lower level, right near the stage. No heads blocking me, slightly elevated above the floor level.

And I'll be completely oblivious to any of the audience behind me. No distractions!

• I just got home and all I can say is that I’m so glad I went. I got there early so as I settled into my seat and the first thing that struck me was that there was only one drum kit. I had never been to a Genesis concert where there weren’t two drums. For Phil to do this in his current condition is a testament to the great artist and showman that he is. And Nic, wow the kid can play. He’s not a clone of Phil he’s got his own style. He is very very good. The crowd was so into it, we stood up for almost the entire show. Phil said that Montreal were always very kind to Genesis and they’ll never forget that. I’m grateful that I got to see them one more time. Thank you Genesis. I’ll try to put up some pics.

• I

I also felt that Phil was annoyed by the audience. At one point, he said: "it sure has gone quiet here." At the end of the show, it was simply "thank you, good night!", nothing more.

Note that the band can't hear any audience noise during the entire show as they have IEMs in. Only at the end when they take them out, can they hear the applause.

• Note that the band can't hear any audience noise during the entire show as they have IEMs in. Only at the end when they take them out, can they hear the applause.

I'm pretty sure that after all these years of touring, they can feel the "mood" of the audience, even if they can't hear it.

I think Phil was right: the crowd was a bit too quiet at one point on Monday night. It was right before "Domino". When he did his "Domino effect" routine, he pointed the right side first, and then he pointed to our side and we screamed much louder. Phil turned to the right side and said: "You see? *They* are awake!" He was kidding, of course, but there was some truth to that. I've seen Genesis multiple times, always in Montreal, and it was by far the quietest crowd I've ever been in.

I'm glad the audience was more into it yesterday for their last Montreal show.

• Seems there has to always be at least one idiot near me at every concert. Last night this one guy after every song got up and shouted "Play In the Air Tonight". The first couple of times everyone nearby chuckled but after a while it became really annoying. He finally stopped. Someone must have told him "Listen son you're wasting time. There's no future for you, even in the fire escape trade, so get out of town".

• I was glad to see Duchess stay in the setlist for the 23rd. This is the one song I have not seen them perform at a concert (well, there is also that tiny snippet of Moonlit Knight), so I am crossing my fingers for tomorrow night.

• Seems there has to always be at least one idiot near me at every concert. Last night this one guy after every song got up and shouted "Play In the Air Tonight". The first couple of times everyone nearby chuckled but after a while it became really annoying. He finally stopped. Someone must have told him "Listen son you're wasting time. There's no future for you, even in the fire escape trade, so get out of town".

As Phil used to say sometimes: "Yeah, I'm on my first beer as well..."

• I was at the Monday show (Nov. 22) and can say it was excellent. There was a vaccine pre-screening to get a wristband and skip the line. No metal detectors at my gate, I had a full hour to buy merch and have a beer.

After the "Dead already" intro and only a 15 minute delay, show started with an amazing Behind the Lines and Duke's end suite, loved it. Like the Gazette review says, Mike and Tony were as sharp as ever, so was Daryl. They got standing ovations from the sold out audience that by no means was quiet.

Phil is another story and a sad one but did quite ok for his condition. The sitting tambourine routine part during I know what I like was specially sad remembering how dynamic his dancing antics were in the 70s & 80s.

My favorites were Second Home by the Sea and Firth of Fifth, and yes, Domino was a let down instrumentally but visually was stunning. I am not much of a an 80's hits fan so I could have breezed thru those songs but it was a great "night to remember". Sadly, no "In the Cage" this last time around :(

Farewell my Genesis after 12 times seeing them live in Montreal (8), New York, Passaic NJ, Houston, Denver).

• Official Post

A few photos from the Montreal shows by Veronique Pelletier, that we are allowed to share here

• Wow. Incredible photos. It was great to see Genesis again for what likely is the last time. As a young man I always liked Genesis music but I only became a die hard fan after seeing them live which for me was the Duke tour.