King Crimson

• Their debut album released 50 years ago today (it's not today anymore for me as I write this but it still is for some of you).

A truly great anniversary then.

Many albums are called "influential", but this one really was. Not only is there Pete Townshend's oft-quoted comment regarding the debut album ("an uncanny masterpiece", for those who may not have seen it before), but I remember an interview with Tony or Ant that it was one of the albums they listened to and really liked in the early days of Genesis. (In fact, if memory serves correctly, I think Genesis bought their first mellotron from KC.)

I can't wait for the BluRay audio version coming out next month! 8)

Stepping out the back way, hoping nobody sees...

• A truly great anniversary then.

if memory serves correctly, I think Genesis bought their first mellotron from KC

Yes I remember one of the various Genesis books referring to that and quoting one of the band saying, regarding the mellotron being delivered, "Even their roadie seemed big-time to us!"

Abandon all reason

• What do we think of this notion it was the first ever progressive rock album? Does that stand up?

I've heard some say that accolade goes to Sgt Pepper but that seems to be based on it having the vague remnant of a concept that never got fully developed.

Abandon all reason

• Well, it's been argued there are concept albums years before the 60's (Sinatra is someone who has been credited as doing one) but for me, Sgt Pepper just about qualifies, though the concept is more of sound and feel rather than lyrical content.

Accuse me of bias, but Days Of Future Passed, mere months post-Pepper, ticks all the boxes, and it's worth noting Crimson were well aware of the Moodies, they started recording Court With Tony Clarke, the Moodies producer, and at the Moodies studio, I believe.

Fripp didn't want to buy a mellotron, but had to admit defeat as nothing else would make "that" sound.

Ian

Putting the old-fashioned Staffordshire plate in the dishwasher!

• Well, it's been argued there are concept albums years before the 60's (Sinatra is someone who has been credited as doing one

Come Fly With Me, Songs For Swingin' Lovers, A Swingin' Affair, Only The Lonely, In The Wee Small Hours, Where Are You, Come Dance With Me, Great Songs From Great Britain...they're the ones I can quote off the top of my head (a few more than the "one" you suggest!).

Frank Sinatra was the first pop artist to master the art of the concept album and some of those records rank amongst the finest albums of all time.

• Come Fly With Me, Songs For Swingin' Lovers, A Swingin' Affair, Only The Lonely, In The Wee Small Hours, Where Are You, Come Dance With Me, Great Songs From Great Britain...they're the ones I can quote off the top of my head (a few more than the "one" you suggest!).

Frank Sinatra was the first pop artist to master the art of the concept album and some of those records rank amongst the finest albums of all time.

Well, TBH, he's probably made a few more since I posted that 8 months ago!

Ian

• I doubt it. He died in 1998.

Because, of course, I was being serious! :rolleyes:

I may not (claim to) be an expert on Frank, have no desire to be, but while I didn't know how many of his albums are "claimed" to be concepts, (I only knew he had done some because I've been told by someone who cares), calling an album of love songs a Concept Album is a bit of a stretch. On that basis, Jason Donovan has probably recorded Concept Albums!

Ian

• I may not (claim to) be an expert on Frank, have no desire to be

Kind of shot yourself in the foot there with that comment, didn't you? Should have quit while you were behind.

Greater minds than yours - who aren't even self-confessed experts on the subject of Sinatra's music - have already deemed the records I mentioned to be concept albums.

Incidentally, might I suggest that when discussing a subject, it's not the wisest thing to do to proclaim that you don't know what you're talking about and then proceed to grandstand about the very subject about which you've already admitted ignorance. Unless, of course, you don't want anyone to take anything you say seriously in which case, crack on.

• Kind of shot yourself in the foot there with that comment, didn't you? Should have quit while you were behind.

Greater minds than yours - who aren't even self-confessed experts on the subject of Sinatra's music - have already deemed the records I mentioned to be concept albums.

Incidentally, might I suggest that when discussing a subject, it's not the wisest thing to do to proclaim that you don't know what you're talking about and then proceed to grandstand about the very subject about which you've already admitted ignorance. Unless, of course, you don't want anyone to take anything you say seriously in which case, crack on.

No, just being honest. I'd suggest it is wise to let people know when you aren't an expert on something, rather than pretend to be. Better still not to accuse someone of grandstanding, when all they have done is make one very valid point.

Since you always have to have the last word in any argument, (which must be hard work, since you have so many) might I suggest you look up the final word in the OED and just quote that every time you feel the need to.

It's quite funny, isn't it? Liverpudlians are famed for their wit. Yet yours, as displayed in your first and last sentences above, is so cliché and hackneyed, we can almost guess them before you start typing. Sad, really!

Ian

• I should scroll up and find out how this thread has gotten from KC to Frankie Boy but I'll just applaud the versatility instead.:)

The "link" occurs just a few posts up with Foxfeeder's post of 13 Oct.

Plus we can add that Schizoid was sampled by Kanye West on Power, produced by Jeff Bhasker, who also produced Controversy by Natalia Kills, which sampled Young At Heart by Sinatra. So there you go, a really solid proper Sinatric Crimsoid connection.

Abandon all reason