Genesis albums to be re issued by Analogue Productions

• Holding out for the CD/SACDs. Hoping the first batch of the new remasters will be released soon? Probably SEBTB and TLLDOB first to be released? Looking forward to hearing these.

The SACDs are Stereo only, but the source are the old masters, which means the old mixes. The Lamb and Selling England are currently on pre-order status.

cheers

Christian

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Follow us on Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | BlueSky

Deutsch? Check our German Website

Check out our brand new WhatsApp Channel!

• we did have an analysis of some of the albums back then, i.e. Duke:

https://www.genesis-news.com/c…ation-and-review-s97.html

I don't personally have anything to hand right now, but I remember from discussions at the time on the old forum that the 'tech experts' were posting audio wave charts and stuff showing the the old dynamic peaks and troughs had been massively compressed.

Even now though, these remixes sound uniformly loud all the way through; the contrasts have largely been wiped out.

The page that Christian posted there with the link above analyzing Duke seems to directly refute the 'overly compressed ' idea, based on some different frequency measurements that were done. Interesting.

At any rate, I actually enjoyed the Nick Davis remixes for the most part. There were a few individual songs here and there (just in the 'Blue Box') that seemed to have loudness issues-but the vast majority of the material sounded great IMO, especially compared to the '94 DERs. As I started collecting vinyl a couple years ago, I actually have the 2018 half-speed mastered versions of almost all the Genesis albums now, and IMO I have never heard them sound better! They're all so much richer and warmer sounding-at least compared to my CDs and MP3s-incredibly well balanced from high to low, and excellent instrument separation.

I am interested to hear how these even newer reissues sound, knowing that they're using the original master tapes. But as I am kind of a completist, I don't want a bunch of different versions of these albums-so unless they eventually release ALL of the Genesis albums this way, I think I might pass on spending all that extra $ to re-buy them, as I'm perfectly happy with the half-speed versions I have of those.

• I’ve ordered The first two of these and am waiting for them to arrive from the States ,reviews of them have been very favourable by most of those who have listened to them. Only one chap seems to dislike the new remaster of The Lamb once mine arrive next week I’ll give you my impressions.

• I’ve ordered The first two of these and am waiting for them to arrive from the States ,reviews of them have been very favourable by most of those who have listened to them. Only one chap seems to dislike the new remaster of The Lamb once mine arrive next week I’ll give you my impressions.

Just curious

Where do you live (country)? In Germany they are available.

cheers

Christian

Follow us on Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | BlueSky

Deutsch? Check our German Website

Check out our brand new WhatsApp Channel!

• I live in the United Kingdom, prices of these in the UK work out a little more than buying direct from

Acoustic Sounds , postage is quicker also as most places over here have these on back order so you are waiting for quite a time. Price of these currently in the UK is 165 and 85 and 10 postage so £260. I have paid £171 to have them shipped from America and duty won’t cost me £90 so fractionally cheaper.

• I live in the United Kingdom, prices of these in the UK work out a little more than buying direct from

Acoustic Sounds , postage is quicker also as most places over here have these on back order so you are waiting for quite a time. Price of these currently in the UK is 165 and 85 and 10 postage so £260. I have paid £171 to have them shipped from America and duty won’t cost me £90 so fractionally cheaper.

wow. Still a lot of money. Really looking forward to your impressions / reviews, i.e. are they worth their money or not?

• I must admit if they sound as good as they look I am in for a treat the covers are amazing , the lamb is made out of two gatefolds with an external card board piece with the story on gatefold one and the lyrics on the other ms very well done. I have just got some Active speakers and am saving the listening experience for these albums as my first listen. I’m so happy to have these and although expensive the lamb deserves this treatment as we all no doubt agree.

• I'm eager to hear what ya'll think of the sound quality of these-even if I probably will not be getting them (partially due to the price, and partially cos I'd want ALL the albums released this way-not just a few).

• It would be great to have them all like this but I’m guessing with it being 75 albums total that something had to give , and Mr Kassem probably chose the ones that were classics. I also know that anything digitally recorded isn’t given these special treatments. I think he’s picked the ones that I personally would of gone for the only regret for me is not choosing Trespass Instead of Genesis self titled.

• I'm eager to hear what ya'll think of the sound quality of these-even if I probably will not be getting them (partially due to the price, and partially cos I'd want ALL the albums released this way-not just a few).

Do you think anybody who has spent that kind of money is going to say they're poor?

• Once I get around to hearing mine I’ll for sure give an honest opinion, I could listen to them via my Sennheiser 800s headphones and that may give an accurate idea as to the sound. I’m waiting on an ATC pre amp with phono stage But that’s two weeks away. Although I’m getting itchy feet to have a listen. I’ll get my other pre amp out and have a listen to the lamb side 1 and report back in an hour !!.

Just listening to it now on Track 1 side 1, well all o can say is wow - the bass ( rickenbacker by the sounds of it is so clear ), Gabriel’s Voice is the best I’ve heard it on this album, cymbals and Steve’s Guitar work are really easy to follow I’m loving hearing all this stuff I’ve never heard before. Gabriel’s voice sounds so good it’s unbelievable!!.

Edited once, last by Wayne ().

• Fly on a windshield into Broadway Melody seems a little more laid back then I’m used to more polite - the guitar we all know that comes in isn’t as forceful. Drums are very clear and Phil’s cymbal work and Tom Toms are so easy to follow. It sound very controlled to me, the sound isn’t as amazing as track 1 but it’s all there. Gabriel’s voice once again is so there so real lovely. I’m listening to it with £1200 headphones into a £200 pre amp so it will sound better once I’ve got a better pre amp into the mix.

Edited 2 times, last by Wayne ().

• Cuckoo Cocoon , ends side 1 once again controlled , backing voices are very clear and you can hear the guitar playing in the background really well. In this track Banks Piano playing is as clear as a bell. Yoy can hear every note.

So side one done

TLLDOB 10/10 best I’ve ever heard that track period

FOAW 9/10 the attack of the guitar into Broadway Melody wasn’t as pronounced as Im used to

BM 10/10 best I’ve heard it as was the side closer

CC 10/10

Onto side 2

• Side 2

In the cage - once again the bass is so easy to follow - clear as a bell , drums and hitting of Tom toms is brilliant , all background guitar work is evident. A lot of this stuff I’ve never heard on my copies before. Steve’s guitar work really shines, you get a solid sense that he plays a lot on these tracks more than I noticed in the past.

The keyboards into the first solo are wonderful , the bass following the keyboard solo can be picked out clearly.

This is definitely the best I’ve ever heard this album and I’ve played it 100s of times in the past. What I’m finding is that there’s a tremendous sense of air and space between the instruments, there is so much going on but it’s so easy to follow anything and everything . Acoustic sounds have done stellar

Work on this one.

Grand parade closes Side 2 and it’s also a sonic revelation, I didn’t realise that so many different instruments were used. Hacketts guitar work although deep in the mix can be followed easily. The bass once again is so easy to pick out every single note.

That’s it’s for the first album All I can say is spectacular!! Worth every penny .

• Side 3

Back in New York City - amazing sound on this one hearing so much more, the drumming at the beginning boy does that sound great, I’m hearing guitar playing in the right channel I haven’t encountered before , Banks keyboard playing around the “ Full of Shit” section is really superb and loads is happening. It’s amazing how much stuff is going on the church organ type sound later on is great also.

If you’re on the fence I would advise buying this if you have good quality equipment. I know it’s expensive but it’s worth it , my partner said you havent stopped smiling for 30 Mins.

Hairless Heart is measured and everything is well controlled.

Counting Out Time once again is a joy the background vocals are really prominent, Gabriel’s voice and all the guitar parts shine.

Another 10/10 for side 3

• Side 4

Carpet Crawlers Gabriel’s voice has so much depth that’s the first thing i immediately noticed , it sounds three dimensional. the chorus vocal layering and Phil’s backing really are touching. Drums have incredible depth and the bass is sympathetic not to in front. I must say Phil’s vocal on this one is so up there is really is a tremendous this and has to be heard!.

That is the best I’ve ever heard CC I doubt anyone will ever hear anything better than this in our lifetime, well mine I don’t think it will be bettered.

The CO24D has a lot of depth, A lot of atmosphere and emotion. Bass is very clear and defined , lots of space giving the musicians time to breath.

It’s wonderfully clear no veils on anything at all, the echo on Gabriel’s voice is also a standout.

I’ll end my review at side 4 And I’m sure sides 5 thru to 8 will be equally satisfying.

This album Is an absolute no brainer for fans such as us and is essential it’s the best I’ve ever heard and a 10/10.

To say I’m using my spare pre amp that’s saying something

Equipment used to listen

Technics 1210 Turntable with off board power supply / Benz Micro S MC Cart / Rega Tonearm

Audiolab 8000c Pre Amp

Sennheiser Hd 800s Headphones.

• Now I’ve had time to think the chap who gives this a negative review, although entitled To his opinion ( saw his review on YouTube ) who said there Is something not quite right with it I feel in all honesty isn’t listening to the same album I’ve just played 1/2 off - to me I agree the guitar break into BMO74 isn’t as substantial, he’s right there. But everything else I have just listened to is so far in advance of what we have heard, and loved for so many years it’s hard to believe : this copy is night and day better than anything that came before it. I have the original UK and German pressings and this is like lifting veils off the recording - Recommended. I think Chris Bellman did this one and he’s done a mighty fine job.

• I'm excited to give it a go, but extremely skeptical that my ears will hear any of what was just described above. Partly I'm sure because the equipment I have is starter level (and I'm unlikely to upgrade) but perhaps moreso I'm just not sure my ears work that way. Maybe a result of too many loud concerts (persistent tinnitus in my left ear since Smashing Pumpkins - thanks Billy). I won't care as long as it sounds good to me, and glad to read such glowing things about it overall.