GENESIS: Turn It On Again: The Hits - Vinyl Reissue 2024

• More or less in time for its 25th release anniversary, the Hits-compilation "Turn It On Again: The Hits" will be released on vinyl for te very first time in May.

Details:

/ Genesis: "Turn It On Again: The Hits" on vinyl! (genesis-news.com)

cheers

Christian

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Follow us on Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | BlueSky

Deutsch? Check our German Website

Check out our brand new WhatsApp Channel!

• UPDATE: A CD will also be re-issued

And there's a clear Vinyl edition in the UK:

Turn It On Again: The Hits - Limited Edition Clear 2LP | Vinyl 12" Album | Free shipping over £20 | HMV Store
    Genesis (Artist) Turn It On Again: The Hits - Limited Edition Clear 2LP Vinyl 12" Album Free shipping over £20
    hmv.com

cheers

Christian

• So comparing this new retread of a well worn shoe leather, with the The Last Domino-The Hits, only The Carpet Crawlers 1999, I know What....., and Congo is additional, in the track listing between the two.

Is it really worth and expected to buy this near duplicate, regurgitated release? At £50 (!!!!!!) That's Fifty (!!!) pounds. Wow. And not the good wow either.

I would have paid for a special edition, stand alone e.g RSD release of Carpet 1999 instead of this tired disappointment.

• I guess this one will feature the 2008 mixes? I have the original 1999 version, it still featured the original digital remasters. Quite noticeable in Follow You Follow Me, the end of the synth solo continues into the final chorus instead of being cut off as in the new mix.

• I really enjoyed this release when it first came out in 1999, partially cos it had the edited versions of Abacab and Tonight Tonight Tonight-and of course Carpet Crawlers '99.

I felt it was a pretty fair representation of the most generally successful parts of their catalogue, particularly when trying to fit it all on one convenient disc. I suppose if they would've not had Carpet Crawlers there may have been room for something like The Knife, Watcher of the Skies, or The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway-which would widen out the coverage of all eras abit. But I actually loved the new version of Carpet Crawlers. I also really liked the cover and sleeve note design.

If this release is the same versions as the 1999 release (aka not the remixes), then I will get this. Otherwise I'm happy with my half-speed remaster versions of the albums. Just having Carpet Crawlers '99 on vinyl alone would not be enough of a reason for me to get it.

• I guess this one will feature the 2008 mixes? I have the original 1999 version, it still featured the original digital remasters. Quite noticeable in Follow You Follow Me, the end of the synth solo continues into the final chorus instead of being cut off as in the new mix.

There is no info about the mix so I doubt they changed it.

cheers

Christian

• I stopped collecting vinyl. And I don't regret this - all those re-issues, colored vinyl editions ... and the pricing. Bloody expensive hobby.

I don't know....? I've found some NM or VG+ rated records - older AND newer - on Discogs, that sound and look great but are under $25-$30 USD (which isn't expensive IMO). I agree if you want more than just one record at a time it can get expensive...but IMO if I'm going to order out for dinner and spend upwards of $35 USD on just myself, I might as well put that towards something that lasts-like a record or even two, depending on what I'm looking for. (i.e. I've been ordering a lot of the 7" singles, in order to have the b-sides, and those are as little as $6 depending on where you look.)

Regarding the versions on the Hits release, After looking at the tracklist, I am inclined to think that it IS the originals-simply cos I don't think the full 7 minute + version of Abacab can fit on the side it's on with I Can't Dance, FYFM, Hold on my Heart and IKWIL all on there. The edit definitely could though! It's not definitive evidence-but IMO it is logical...

• There is no info about the mix so I doubt they changed it.

I doubt it, too. Probably would never have even occurred to "them". Besides, what about CCs99?

Incidentally, at least one retailer (in the UK) is selling the CD for £5. (Seems to be "standard" price everywhere else.) And Amazon in the US is declaring a clear vinyl edition "exclusive". Whether it is or not, the price of $35 puts the UK (and elsewhere?) price - whether clear or black - in the shade.

• I doubt it, too. Probably would never have even occurred to "them". Besides, what about CCs99?

Incidentally, at least one retailer (in the UK) is selling the CD for £5. (Seems to be "standard" price everywhere else.) And Amazon in the US is declaring a clear vinyl edition "exclusive". Whether it is or not, the price of $35 puts the UK (and elsewhere?) price - whether clear or black - in the shade.

Would also take some effort to make a new master for this release. So I also think they took the old one from 1999.

I only have some albums on vinyl. Here, I'll pass ...

some are wise ... and some otherwise

• Doesn't really make much sense to me. A special vinyl for CC99 would have been nice, probably for the Record Store Day, but who needs this Hits compilation on vinyl?

"Invisible Touch Clear Vinyl" is also quite a "name" for this release :D

• I'm sort of tempted as I don't own the original CD, and the tracklist and design are better than The Last Domino. Ultimately though, there's loads of brilliant music out there, new and old, that I don't own and haven't heard many times before. That's where my money's going! (Echo the thoughts of others that CC99 would have been an excellent choice for RSD on 12")

• After thinking about it for a while, I actually remembered that I'm planning on eventually collecting the original vinyl releases of the Genesis albums. I currently have the 2018 half-speed versions but I thought it would be nice to have the originals too, in order to experience them in different ways. Who knows-I might end up enjoying the originals better, and decide to sell my half-speed versions at some point?

Ahhhh, the fun of collecting!

The reason I bring this up is that if I'm going to eventually have originals of the albums anyway, I don't really see the need in getting this release - aside from CC '99, and I'm debating whether that alone would be worth it. So I guess we'll see.