Fisher Lane Farm - The GENESIS studio

• Official Post

Genesis' home for many album productions, including solo albums, was the Fisher Lane Farm. The studio still exists.

Genesis Archive have a decent article online about the history and current status of The Farm, which we highly recommend reading!

http://thegenesisarchive.co.uk…r-lane-farm-chiddingfold/

• It was fun writing up that article, we had help from Robert Ellis who with permission gave us two photographs to use from the 1981 Abacab tour rehearsals. The band rehearsed the Abacab tour between the five (5) of them, before they went off to Shepperton, Studio B for production rehearsals.

We will always be coming across new information, so the articles posted on The Genesis Archive are always up for updates.

Kind regards,

Mark

• That's an interesting, well-researched read. I was sad to hear a couple of years back that the company was liquidated as I took that to mean it was the end of the studio, so it was heartening to read here the studio continues, if only as a base for occasional TB/MR activity.

Abandon all reason

• Official Post

The best aspect of The Farm was all those board tapes housed there, unfortunately they'll stay packed away and most likely never be released to the masses. ;(

you forget Mike's most used phrase .... "never say never"

• I'm afraid in this case, never WILL BE never. I can't imagine the band having any occasion to release anything from there, quite honestly. I'd love to be wrong but I don't believe I am. The problem is, back when the 'Archive Club' was first proposed on the old Talking Shop forum, it kept getting pushed back due to other things or releases the band was endeavored in. As a result, it just kind of went away. At this juncture, there wouldn't be nearly the interest in those recordings there had been and the band, I am sure, is of the same mind set. Sales wouldn't nearly recoup the productions costs to justify the band doing it and I think they'd agree with me.

All in all, it's moot and pretty much 'dead', I'm sorry to say.

• Where, sadly, they'll remain.

The only people who would want those shows are the diehard fans. And if you're a diehard fan, you've invariably got most of the classic shows (Lyceum 1980, Montreal 1974, Empire Pool 1975, Wembley Stadium 1987 et al) courtesy of the bootleg community. And I believe it was this simple realisation which resulted in the band not going to the trouble of releasing that stuff to the "masses".

Still, I'd love to get my hands on Phil's collection of Lamb tapes!

• And if you're a diehard fan, you've invariably got most of the classic shows (Lyceum 1980, Montreal 1974, Empire Pool 1975, Wembley Stadium 1987 et al) courtesy of the bootleg community.

Yes, the case can be made for that, I have many as a collector as well as a contributor (my BURP program). HOWEVER, much of what the band retains is NOT out in the public pool such as the tour and album rehearsals, which I personally would be most interested in.

• Yes, the case can be made for that, I have many as a collector as well as a contributor (my BURP program). HOWEVER, much of what the band retains is NOT out in the public pool such as the tour and album rehearsals, which I personally would be most interested in.

Me too, and I'm sure many other collectors. But most fans of any band are casual, not hardcore, and depite the personal wealth of the individual members, I just don't think they see an official release of that stuff as being cost effective. However, I don't see what's stopping them from releasing the material through the Movement site.

• I just don't think they see an official release of that stuff as being cost effective.

I'm quite sure of that, it most likely isn't even in their minds any longer. The production costs would not be recouped at all through sales, the interest just isn't there. It was 10-15 years ago when first proposed but the idea and people's receptiveness to the notion have long died out. My holy grail out of all that material is, as I've stated previously, W&W tour and album rehearsals. I'd be more than satisfied with just those.

• I wonder with the resurgence of the band, if perhaps they will reconsider doing something with these. Maybe if interest in the band peaks, they could time it just right. We all know there will be no new material from the band, so this would be a good way to celebrate their long careers!

• One would assume that Justin Crew (the bands Keyboard tech) and whomever Mike's tech is currently, went through the gear with Geoff Callingham. This would have meant stuff was shipped to NYC for the January rehearsals and then shipped back.

They will also be testing, assembling backline gear and stuff to ensure that they have all they need for the rehearsals in late Spring and then in Oct/Nov.

Thats not ruling out anything else, so if anyone see's anything or knows anything do tell! But don't trespass in order to find things out.

TGA

• There is also a rumor about a "Lamb lies down" boxset. If that's true, I assume they are also working on that and other albums as well .... maybe.

Hello TheWestSide, it is quite likely that a lot of that material is already mixed. Its just release dates tend to be far in future, to facilitate the right gap in the market.

TGA

• The Farm's SSL mixing console is on sale!

The listing

There's also a short video about it and a series of photos, including the plan of the studio. Apparently, there are already two potential buyers. "Only" $322,000 (CAD)...

Edited once, last by somsom ().

• Official Post

It's actually already a re-sell. According to Dave Kerzner, he could have purchased this cheaper, but declined. Obviously Reverb is trying to make some profit...