PETER GABRIEL | The Making Of i/o - general info and discussion

• Official Post

No, the ATMOS mix is a different mix and made by a different person (Hans-Peter Buff). Peter has asked three sound engineers to do mixes.

There is no bright side surround mix or something like that.

Buff‘s mix will be played at WOMAD

• Hello friends of the forum

After the session at WOMAD could someone who is attending please let us know what impression you got from the album i/o and if there is talk of a release date on LP/cd. Also could you let us know how long it is and which versions are Bright or Dark, for example.

I'm really keen as well to hear from WOMAD attendees on what songs are played, and any other context that is provided by i/o. I imagine PG might be in attendance for this?

• HABEMUS TRACKLIST!

The photographer Michael Palmer attended the exclusive listening session for the new album at the WOMAD Festival. According to the information he published, the album is around 65 minutes in total.

Tracklist:

1. Panopticom

2. Playing for Time

3. The Court

4. Four Kinds of Horses

5. i/o

6. Love Can Heal

7. Road to Joy

8. So Much

9. Olive Tree

10. This is Home

11. And Still

12. Live and Let Live

Source: https://www.facebook.com/photo?fbid=851137689848257

• I just saw this as well! Looks like a great album. The last four songs, still to be released, will make a spectacular end section, given their live versions. Playing for Time and The Court swapped order, unless the attendee just mixed them up.

• PG usually plays his new album live in the same order (at least same first track and usually same last one), with a few tweaks, so I was expecting something of this kind.

I was still hoping Panopticom would not be the opener however.... He usually has very strong first tracks, this is not one of those in my view.

I thought he said in Paris and London that Olive tree would not be part of i/o (I saw both gigs and i think he mentioned this both times) ? Maybe i misunderstood...

Very good end of album Indeed!

• I just saw this as well! Looks like a great album. The last four songs, still to be released, will make a spectacular end section, given their live versions.

Indeed!

Can't believe we finally have this information. At 65 minutes, it's Up there as one of his longest albums as well. I'm so glad And Still is there, too. When rumors started about the album having to fit in that 60-minute slot, I was worried it would be dropped since it's one of the longer songs. But it's there, and makes such a great counterpoint in mood with Live and Let Live.

I absolutely love everything about Panopticom and it's such a great opener. Also fitting since it started all this way back in November when we heard the first snippet of it.

Edit: And damn, there's something about Playing for Time as #2 that gives me a big smile.

• It’s great to finally have a track list — very exciting, and it all feels much more real 😃

I think Panopticom is a great opener as well. I can’t imagine any of the others working as the first track.

It’s a little strange how What Lies Ahead was played live a few times and then hasn’t made the album. I wonder whether this was always going to be the case, as there’s no artwork for WLA in the European tour programme either — although this came out rather late in the day, long after he’d stopped playing the track.

This all but confirms that the album won’t be out this year, too. With 12 tracks, the Full Moon cycle will take us to November 27th, so we potentially won’t have anything on the Full Moon in December (27th)… I wouldn’t have thought that any of the surplus tracks would be released until after i/o has come out.

I wonder which one of Love Can Heal, Olive Tree, This Is Home, And Still, and Live And Let Live is coming next, on August 1st… 🤔🌕

• Official Post

Well - since with the end of November all albumtracks could have been released, the album could be out with the beginning of December. What Lies Ahead could be the last track out on the very end of the year and would be a kind of additional release outside of the album context.

About that track itself: assuming that the studioversion is very similar to the liveversion it will be a very short one (lesser than three minutes). That makes it a perfect candidate for a bonustrack.

• Official Post
  • Well - since with the end of November all albumtracks could have been released, the album could be out with the beginning of December. What Lies Ahead could be the last track out on the very end of the year and would be a kind of additional release outside of the album context.

About that track itself: assuming that the studioversion is very similar to the liveversion it will be a very short one (lesser than three minutes). That makes it a perfect candidate for a bonustrack.

An early Christmas present in the form of an i/o release at the beginning of December would be amazing!

Although Peter doesn’t usually do bonus tracks, having What Lies Ahead as the unofficial 13th track would be a nice way to finish off the year🤞

• Official Post

There probably won't be any bonus track for I/O if he plans to release a second album (O/I ?)

Plenty of options. It's also quite possible he keeps doing full moon releases and doesn't do a follow up physical record.

In the end we do not know what the future brings for Peter. It's quite possible that i/o will be his last album. Anything beyond is a bonus.

• Plenty of options. It's also quite possible he keeps doing full moon releases and doesn't do a follow up physical record.

In the end we do not know what the future brings for Peter. It's quite possible that i/o will be his last album. Anything beyond is a bonus.

Yes of course. For me I/O is already kind of an unexpected bonus ! :)

Most likely I think (I hope) he'll go on with the full moon releases. Probably not enough tracks for another full album. But it could be completed with The Veil, Baby Man or other unreleased tracks. In his interview he talked about wanting to find a home (an album) for some of those tracks. As you say, we'll see ...

• Yes of course. For me I/O is already kind of an unexpected bonus ! :)

Most likely I think (I hope) he'll go on with the full moon releases. Probably not enough tracks for another full album. But it could be completed with The Veil, Baby Man or other unreleased tracks. In his interview he talked about wanting to find a home (an album) for some of those tracks. As you say, we'll see ...

Plenty of options. It's also quite possible he keeps doing full moon releases and doesn't do a follow up physical record.

So many options: an ‘o/i’ physical release, stand-alone Full Moon digital releases or, as ‘Flotsam and Jetsam’ was a digital-only compilation, it’s possible he could also append that album with the surplus tracks, such as What Lies Ahead, Show Yourself and Baby Man — maybe even the ‘Son Of OVO’ stuff, which I’m still dying to hear. The Veil is already on there of course. He’s still sitting on a lot of amazing material.