Genesis: "Lamb"-Boxset ahead?

• 50 years of Genesis. I hope they do at some point re-release everything in a better format then of the 7 boxes. One good definitive box set would be awesome to finally have everything in one place. Gabriel years collins years. Lots of stuff was not put into the 5 boxes back in the mid 2000s that was included in the first 2 boxes. And yes i cam dream lol

But if genesis does go forth with a deluxe lamb. I wonder if todays tech has made the lamb live any better or will we still get a copy of the shrine from early gabriel and older Gabriel's voice mix lol. At the time it was cool to hear it but man its soooo easy to tell when its the older gabriel then the younger.

Never owned any of Genesis stuff on vinyl so would be cool to have the lamb that way. Maybe on cassette as well. Lamb t shirt. Poster. Lots of cool things could be done. Looking forward to the summer now.

• I have a Lamb mug. When they did nothing in particular to mark its 40th I got myself the mug as my own personal tribute. I think it was from Burning Shed.

It holds tea and keeps it reasonably hot, and conveys the tea into my mouth efficiently. I really couldn't ask for much more of a mug.

Abandon all reason

• I have a Lamb mug. When they did nothing in particular to mark its 40th I got myself the mug as my own personal tribute. I think it was from Burning Shed.

It holds tea and keeps it reasonably hot, and conveys the tea into my mouth efficiently. I really couldn't ask for much more of a mug.

I have a Lamb t-shirt, a couple of Lamb refrigerator magnets and a tour program, signed by all less Collins.

• UK. There was much gnashing of teeth by many fans who wanted to buy the PG era stuff but it was only made available in the expensive box set and then even more expensive when the box sets became unavailable via third party sellers on Amazon etc. Why they didn't release the albums as they did with post PG albums is a mystery?

Thanks. That is indeed a bewildering decision to not release those CD/DVDs individually. When the box sets where released, the price was fair enough, somewhere in the region of sixty quid. I got the 1976-1981 release and it's excellent. Sadly, when the other boxes were released I couldn't afford them at the time and, as you say, since then they've become unavailable except from third party sellers and the asking price is a complete joke.

• Thanks. That is indeed a bewildering decision to not release those CD/DVDs individually. When the box sets where released, the price was fair enough, somewhere in the region of sixty quid. I got the 1976-1981 release and it's excellent. Sadly, when the other boxes were released I couldn't afford them at the time and, as you say, since then they've become unavailable except from third party sellers and the asking price is a complete joke.

I bought the first box set (70-75) for £85 on its release and all the others individually. Why they didn't press more of the PG box set is beyond me as demand was high (maybe to keep the cost high for a limited run?). To be honest, the DVDs are fab but would advise any fan to hold onto their original CDs as Nick D overcompressed the audio CDs and they sound too loud and brash.

• I bought the first box set (70-75) for £85 on its release and all the others individually. Why they didn't press more of the PG box set is beyond me as demand was high (maybe to keep the cost high for a limited run?). To be honest, the DVDs are fab but would advise any fan to hold onto their original CDs as Nick D overcompressed the audio CDs and they sound too loud and brash.

Ahh, the old "loudness war" argument. Personally, I've always preferred Nick's work over the original mixes. I still have the original albums (being old enough to have bought them first time round on vinyl) but I no longer listen to the old mixes. The 70-75 box was the last to be released wasn't it? I reckon the band had looked at the sales of the box sets and clearly decided enough weren't being sold to keep them in production, hence the limited run for the final set. Damned shame.

if im not mistaken the reason for the 5 box sets was for the 40th?

• I hope it might include a tour performance without overdubs. Although it was interesting to hear a latter-day Gabriel sing parts of these songs (and thus help me imagine what if), what I have heard of the original Shrine recordings makes me think that they should be fine, warts and all.

• Ahh, the old "loudness war" argument. Personally, I've always preferred Nick's work over the original mixes. I still have the original albums (being old enough to have bought them first time round on vinyl) but I no longer listen to the old mixes. The 70-75 box was the last to be released wasn't it? I reckon the band had looked at the sales of the box sets and clearly decided enough weren't being sold to keep them in production, hence the limited run for the final set. Damned shame.

There was the Genesis Live 73-2007 box set released in Sept 09. You are probably correct with the decision to stop the PG box set but surely a limited run of selling the SACD/DVDs separately for fans was an option?

• I hope it might include a tour performance without overdubs. Although it was interesting to hear a latter-day Gabriel sing parts of these songs (and thus help me imagine what if), what I have heard of the original Shrine recordings makes me think that they should be fine, warts and all.

The original, untouched Shrine was just fine (to my ears), I wasn't crazy about the overdubbing at all. The purest that I am, much prefers to hear something as it was rendered, as you say, 'warts and all'.

• There was the Genesis Live 73-2007 box set released in Sept 09. You are probably correct with the decision to stop the PG box set but surely a limited run of selling the SACD/DVDs separately for fans was an option?

I think it certainly should have been an option. I rarely get the opportunity to plonk myself down on in the "sweet spot" on the couch and listen to the albums through my 7.1 system, but when I do it's a joyous experience. It's a real pity that I can only do that with just part of the band's history.

• I thought I heard another multitrack recording of a different Lamb concert had surfaced since Archive 1 was released? Perhaps THAT show could be remixed and included?

The overdubs on the Shrine recording don't really bother me and I still enjoy listening to that show quite a bit but it would be nice to have another option, hopefully one that doesn't have overdubs and contains a live recording of IT.

• It was suggested by Tony Banks in an interview he did with The Waiting Room (over 10 years ago), that they (Genesis) had indeed discovered another Lamb live multi-track, likely to be from the Wembley Empire Pool shows.

TGA

• I thought I heard another multitrack recording of a different Lamb concert had surfaced since Archive 1 was released? Perhaps THAT show could be remixed and included?

The overdubs on the Shrine recording don't really bother me and I still enjoy listening to that show quite a bit but it would be nice to have another option, hopefully one that doesn't have overdubs and contains a live recording of IT.

would be nice to have all of that and the full story of Rael. The shrine is missing the last part. And an encore would be cool too to make it a full show. I think all they did was the musical box and maybe one other?

• funny enough, I always liked the "new" studio version of "it" on the Archive set. As for the boxset, I only hope they think carefully what to include and how. There are great boxsets by other bands so that should be enough inspiration

... make tomorrow today!